Alright ladies, let’s talk. No, this is not a pleasant topic but it’s necessary to share information with each other. Sharing our experiences is key to understanding our bodies during menopause. There is so much information out there, yet so little! Have you noticed a change in your body smell during menopause?

I wrote about changes in my hair during perimenopause and I am actually still perimenopausal.

That article is one of my most viewed on this blog!

There is a good reason for that!

While we can research all day long menopause and perimenopause symptoms we keep seeing the same regurgitated information.

All which seem terribly incomplete!

No two women will experience the signs of menopause the same way!

That is why I feel it is so important for us to share these things with each other, embarrassing or not!

Changes In Body Smell During Menopause Pinterest Image

Notice: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The information provided here is not to be taken as medical advice. Please consult your medical caregiver. This is only my personal experience and to share with others.

Now I am not saying that these changes in body smell are disgusting, or even off-putting.

Although some people may experience that.

What I am noticing is not something bad, it’s just different.

We all have a distinct aroma to us.

Even if we do not notice it others do.

In nature, animals pick up on each other’s scents.

Dogs are notorious for knowing our scent and the scent of other animals.

The fact is our body chemistry and hormones change during menopause and so does our distinct scent.

It is perfectly natural and normal.

What Causes Changes In Body Smell During Menopause:

What Causes Changes In Body Smell During Menopause

When your estrogen levels take a nose dive we get a slew of issues.

Night sweats, becoming irritable, and the all to well known hot flashes to name a few.

So we sweat and perspire more frequently as our bodies try to cool down.

You can try changing your deodorant but from my experience, this does not help.

Nor does changing your body wash, perfume, or anything else scented that we use.

You do however need to shower more frequently or cleans with towelettes.

Otherwise, you can get a buildup of bacteria that can cause bad odors.

The unfortunate thing is during menopause this can happen rather quickly even if you are a very clean person.

I thought perhaps the change was caused by increased night-sweats alone but it’s the combination of factors that cause it.

Learn If Your New Scent Is Truly Offensive:

It is important to recognize if your scent is offensive.

Due to it being new to you your new body smell may cause you to think you are offensive.

Chances are you do not offend at all!

Different is sometimes difficult to accept.

You did not even notice your natural scent before because you had it all of your life.

Now, you are wondering if something is wrong with you.

Usually, nothing is wrong with you.

Granted if you have medical conditions you should consult your doctor.

As a Type 1 Diabetic, I am always cautious that my symptoms of menopause are in fact, just that!

From an emotional standpoint, however, many women going through the change are already dealing with a whirlwind of challenges.

When something like your own body chemistry changes so much that you do not recognize your own personal scent, it can be alarming.

Being able to share experiences like this can help alleviate some of your concerns.

What You Can Do About Changes In Body Smell:

A Sampling of Sulfur Containing Foods That Can Change Body Smell Cabbage Bok Choy Onion and Broccoli

I already mentioned showering more frequently and that helps.

If you are struggling with the hair issues I once did you probably already are taking extra showers.

Another thing you can, and should be doing is eating a healthy, well-balanced diet.

While most are healthy for you, staying away from foods that contain sulfur helps.

Such as cabbage, broccoli, onion, garlic, bok choy, which I adore, and even eggs contain sulfur.

I found this article very helpful to determine sulfur containing foods.

Another thing you can and should do is getting daily exercise.

By doing these things you can cut down if not eliminate the odor changes in your body by being ahead of the root cause.

Acceptance Of Your Changing Body:

Keep in mind, you notice these things more than others.

Just like we were told, or told our own kids, “that pimple is not as noticeable to others as it is to you!” our scent is not going to make people run from us.

Sure, it’s there, and yes, you do have a certain scent about you.

That does not mean it is an offensive scent to others.

You will adapt to it and it will be your new norm.

If your doctor puts you on hormonal balancing medication it can also go away.

Personally, I prefer a natural method of dealing with my hormonal changes.

By taking Femarelle along with good eating habits and exercise I have seen a positive shift.

My aroma is back to normal again.

Banding Together For Knowledge:

One thing I have learned about these menopausal and perimenopausal changes is that they seem to be short-lived so far.

Granted I am far from full-fledged menopausal.

At least I think I am but I am nearing 49 so it could be right around the corner.

I also know I have a lot more challenges to face when it comes to potential symptoms and struggles.

There are women who could teach me a lot about what’s to come!

If you are one of these ladies please share your experiences with us.

It is up to each of us to help give support to others.

Many of us do not have a large female family tribe to pass down this vital info to us.

My mother had a hysterectomy so she did not experience these things the way you may have.

Thankfully, due to the power of the Interwebs, we can band together and build our own tribe to support each other.

Talk To Me In The Comments:

Have you noticed a change in your body aroma during menopause?

What do you do to combat the mid-life blues?

Are you going to give up favorite foods due to this issue?

Would you prefer to take medications or natural supplements?

Changes In Body Smell During Menopause Twitter Image

1. angela eagle
    April 4, 2018 / 11:11 am

I notice a different and more often underarm smell as well as a different smell when I have my period. I am 52 and still get it pretty regularly. Sometimes even after I shower it comes right back. It tends to happen more often right before my period. My hair has thinned and its drier. my joints ache. No night sweats or hot flashes yet

• April 4, 2018 / 11:17 pm

I was surprised to get the night sweats so soon. That’s the thing though – menopause causes different issues at different times for each of us it seems. That’s why its good to talk about it and thank you for sharing your experiences.
      I agree sometimes it can come back right after a shower. I even thought maybe I needed to take cooler showers as if maybe I was sweating IN the shower lol.

2. April 4, 2018 / 11:15 am

I’ve always heard that menopause can cause a ton of changes in our bodies, but I’ve never heard of it changing your smell. That is very interesting. Great information here. Thank you!

• April 4, 2018 / 11:18 pm

Glad to share the info Stacie. It’s good to know in advance some of the things you may experience when you get to that stage of life.

3. April 4, 2018 / 12:42 pm

To say the least, menopause and I were not friends! I take anti-hormone medications now to keep my breast cancer at bay, and it puts me in a constant state of menopause-like symptoms. Night sweats are the worst. Frequent showering is a must!

• April 5, 2018 / 12:54 am

I am so sorry you have to deal with all this, not to mention breast cancer! You are one strong woman!

4. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    April 4, 2018 / 4:12 pm

I never knew this was a symptom of menopause! Thanks for sharing ways to deal with it, even though I am far away from this stage of life 😛

• April 4, 2018 / 11:05 pm

There are so many things that can go wonky with menopause. That’s why it is so important we talk about them. I do hope you never have to deal with some of them but it’s good to know in advance to be prepared. 🙂

5. April 4, 2018 / 5:05 pm

As I get closer to that time of my life, it’s great to have this information. I never knew that this was a problem, but I appreciate you talking about it!

• April 4, 2018 / 11:07 pm

Thank you Heather. Menopause sure can create a lot of different issues for women which is why we need to put it out there and talk about it. Granted, we do not all experience it the same way. I hope you get through yours with ease when the time comes.

6. April 4, 2018 / 6:17 pm

This is so honest. I was forced into menopause (hysterectomy) and those changes came swiftly. I was fortunate that I had a fabulous doctor who would talk to me about anything. She brought up the body odor and I was mortified, but she assured me that she is highly sensitive to it and that others wouldn’t have noticed yet. Love her to this day.

• April 4, 2018 / 11:08 pm

Thank you so much Terri. I am sorry you got forced into yours! So great you had a super doctor though! She sounds like she was on top of things to help you out! I need to find a better doctor personally. Mine is so burnt out. Nothing better than a great doc!

7. Jenn
    April 4, 2018 / 7:58 pm

I love how honest you. You always talk about the topics that people are thinking and feeling and being it to your blog. These tips are great

8. April 4, 2018 / 11:56 pm

I am not really looking forward to these changes. Im thinking about talking to my gyn about removing my uterus. I dont need it and I tend to get sick when my hormones shift. Now that I am on immnosuppressants, it is so much easier to get sick.

I already have issues with sweating like crazy. I have not determined the cause but im sure it is a side effect of my medicines or a symptom of low vitamin d (my doc is trying to help increase my levels).

• April 5, 2018 / 1:02 am

I hear you!!
      They are not fun although most of them are minor irritations they can also be quite alarming and upsetting.
      Especially when you feel you are alone in it all or crazy!
      My doctor – uggg I need to replace him.
      I think he lost his mojo lol
      He just seems to brush everything aside.
      Let me know what your doc says about removal of your uterus.
      I was told NO due to other health issues I have which also causes me to get sick easily. The surgery itself would be an “unnecessary risk”.
      I also have heard that some women who do have this done – by necessity or otherwise still have symptoms.
      I am curious what your doctor says.
      I have heard also as you said of sweating due to medications!

9. Victoria Heckstall
    April 5, 2018 / 6:51 am

Menopause is something that I am afraid of. This post gives me an idea to prepare when the time comes.Above all, we should take care of ourselves and don’t be afraid of changes.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Exactly and knowledge is empowering. If me putting this out there helps anyone it’s totally worth it.
      Don’t be afraid just look to other women to help you through it when the time comes.

10. Kathy
    April 5, 2018 / 7:46 am

I honestly didn’t even know that there would be some kind of smell. I’m not looking forward to menopause at all. I hope I have a lot time before that yet.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:31 pm

Oh Kathy it does not happen to all of us. Each woman’s experiences are different and yet some of us do have similar or the same symptoms but also different ones too.
      My other post about greasy hair sure gets a lot of views from women experiencing the same thing.
      Also the best part of it is that it does not last forever.

11. Ruth I.
    April 5, 2018 / 7:49 am

I’ve heard much information about menopause but this is the first time about the changes in body smell. I think it is really good to share this kind of information to help others. It is really helpful.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Thank you Ruth.
      That is one reason I wanted to put it out there.
      It’s not a pretty topic but we need to discuss these things so others can know they are not alone or to prepare.

12. April 5, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I heard so much about menopause from my mom, but body smell was not one of the symptoms she mentioned. And I didn’t notice any change about her smell either. So good to know about this. I will keep those tips in mind.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:33 pm

Exactly and not all women go through the same issues.
      It’s just a biological deal and we all have our own experience, sometimes the same and sometimes totally different.
      My research showed that it happens due to a chemical change in the body just like the greasy hair issue.
      I wonder if your mother had to deal with that. Luckily it was short lived lol.

13. April 5, 2018 / 1:49 pm

I never realized any of this! I am glad you shared this. It is good to know for the future!

• April 5, 2018 / 10:33 pm

Indeed we have to share our experiences so when someone else is dealing with it they know they are not alone.

14. April 5, 2018 / 5:00 pm

Thank you for sharing this information. Although I’m not there yet, I have never heard anyone talk about. I only hear about “private summers” I never get the real deal on menopause and what to expect.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:35 pm

Mimi it’s different for everyone and while we share many of the same symptoms not everyone has them all. We all have heard of hot flashes yet a lot of women never have those and that is one of the most common symptoms talked about.
      I like sharing info that may help someone know they are not alone in their experience.
      Glad you are not having to deal with any of it yet!

15. April 5, 2018 / 10:06 pm

I am 39 yrs old and I am beginning to get asked questions everytime I see a doctor or my doctor that lean toward menopause. I have begun reading up on it and “smell” is something I noticed isn’t something talked about much, I wonder why. Do you think it may be because in general people just don’t like to talk about body odor? Thank you for all of this good information. I am sure I will return to your article.

• April 5, 2018 / 10:27 pm

I think so Heather. It’s not a comfortable topic and people can be embarrassed by it.

I also found very little on it myself but it’s out there if you dig deep enough.

For me, it’s not even really an odor as much as a weirdness lol. If that made sense.

I sure wish I had your doctor! Mine seems to not even like discussing anything that isn’t full fledged happening in the now. As if my symptoms are not a big deal at this time.
      Guess he never went through it lol.

16. April 6, 2018 / 9:44 am

This is really interesting. I had literally no idea that this was a thing. Thank you so much for sharing your information.

• April 9, 2018 / 10:24 am

It sure is and it’s quite common to have changes in body chemistry that do a lot of bizarre things to us.

17. April 9, 2018 / 5:44 am

I knew that menopause can cause a ton of changes in our bodies, but I’ve never heard of it changing of smell. That is very interesting. Thank you!

• April 9, 2018 / 10:40 am

Thanks Claudia. Indeed and it all has to do with the same chemical changes that cause other symptoms.
      I think the reason so many have never heard of it before is due to no one wanting to admit it or talk about it due to the stigma attached to it.

18. Sam
    April 10, 2018 / 7:27 am

Lordy, you are speaking to me!! I read the greasy hair post, which is totally me, and now I’m here! I am 50 and perimenopausal and I have notice a strange odor too!! I thought something was wrong but my Gyn says I’m not offensive to anyone but myself 😜 It’s so very strange, this woman thing!!

• April 10, 2018 / 8:57 pm

Exactly! Its because we get so used to ourselves so only WE notice it. Haha I agree – we all have different experiences but sometimes we have the same ones. That’s why I feel it is important to share so no one feels totally alone.