National Wildlife Week How To Help Our Animal Friends

Being in nature, out in the woods, witnessing wildlife in their natural habitat brings me such joy.

That is why I love living in the country.

I wish I could do more to ensure that our wildlife had a safe, healthy environment forever.

What benefits wildlife benefits our earth.

When our earth benefits so do we.

Every year, March 12 through 16 is National Wildlife Week.

There are easy steps we can take to help out.

National Wildlife Week How To Help Our Animal Friends

National Wildlife WeekDisclosure: This is a sponsored article between and Fashion Beyond Forty. I only write about brands and business I or my furkids have personally tested and trust.

Everyone can be a part of making life better for wild animals:

Recycling has to be the easiest way to help conserve nature.

I do realize not everyone has curbside pick up.

We used to have to drive to our local drop off station.

Curbside is nice indeed and I am glad we now have it but it is worth the trip to take your recycling in if you are able.

Carpool, Bus, Bike, Or Walk:

If you live in town or close enough to your destination consider biking or carpooling instead of driving.

My Grandfather rode his bike everywhere literally up until the day he passed.

Walking is another open of course.

If you must travel by motorized engine give carpooling a try or a city bus.

Pick Up Trash Outside:

Next time you take a walk, bring along a recyclable bag or washable tote.

Fill it up with trash or recyclables you find along the way.

It does not take more than a quick second to pick something up from alongside the road.

Doing so just could save the life of an animal.

Skip The Plastic Bags:

When shopping take reusable totes with you.

In addition, skip those thin plastic baggies in the produce section.

Just toss them loose in your cart.

You will be washing them when you get home anyway, so who cares if they are each individually touched.

There are plenty of organizations that happily accept donations.

Just do a Google search “donate to wildlife conservation”.

You can choose from many excellent organizations that are doing amazing things.

I am sure you will see several that you have heard of before.

This year my pups are celebrating their wild side in honor of National Wildlife Week.

Link wants to show you how he celebrates his wild side with Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Bones.

Out prowling, Link suddenly smells a yummy aroma.

He looks into the distance and sees a glimmering glistening object.

He the hunter, the object his prey…

National Wildlife Week

Taking his time as to not scare his prey Link crouches down.

Getting his body as close to the ground as possible.

Walking as quietly as possible while the ice crunches under his feet…

National Wildlife Week

Link arrives at his target and sniffs it out.

The prey does not make a move.

It does make a slight crackling sound as he pushes his nose against it.

Link notices how delicious it smells…

National Wildlife Week

He is not even concerned that the prey is as big as he is.

All he knows is he must have it.

Just how does he get into it?

Quizzical and curious Link looks to his Grandma with the most darling eyes.

Who could resist?

National Wildlife Week

Of course, we went inside and Link had the yummiest treat.

One that is also great for his teeth!

National Wildlife Week

About Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Bones:

Easily digestible which is good for little Link’s tummy and aimed to satisfy the wolf spirit in all pups.

Link may be small but don’t let his size fool you!

He has a wild spirit for sure.

I have seen him destroy a tennis ball in less than five minutes, even if this bag of treats is as big as he is.

100% grain-free and gluten-free.

Made in the U.S.A.

Will help clean your dog’s teeth and freshen breath while maintaining healthy teeth and gums.

Made only with the finest natural ingredients!

Added vitamins and minerals for your dog’s oral health.

No by-product meals, no grain, no corn, no wheat, no soy!

Also no artificial presearatives, colors or flavors.

Just wholesome real all natural ingredients!

Everything we want and nothing we do not want in our dog’s dental chews.

Just perfect!

Help your pup celebrate National Wildlife Week and get them some Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Bones at today!

Remember – do what you can to conserve nature for our wildlife by following the ideas above.

What else can we do to help wildlife? Let me know your ideas in the comments or tell me which idea on my list is your favorite.

Please Share This With Everyone To Help WildlifeClick To Tweet

National Wildlife Week

1. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    March 5, 2018 / 3:27 pm

Reusable bags are so key! Like you suggest, I either put loose produce in my cart or I bought some reusable mesh bags to put smaller items like mushrooms in. It’s so much better than using half a dozen plastic bags every trip to the store.

• March 5, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Indeed Ann and I love your idea of the smaller mesh bags for mushrooms!! I usually buy mine in those biodegradable cardbord tubs but sometimes I do want to buy from the bulk and the mesh bags would be perfect for that!

2. March 5, 2018 / 6:08 pm

Those look like fabulous treats. I didn’t realize that Blue buffalo made treats as well as food! I love that it is grain and gluten free. The added vitamins is a real bonus! I think we all need to help protect our wildlife as once its gone its gone! Little things may fell to little but they added to something great!

• March 5, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Jennifer I did not realize Blue Buffalo made dog treats either until very recently! The dogs LOVE them!
      Indeed we need to do all we can to preserve our wildlife and nature as a whole. You are so right too! If enough of us did those little things, they would be HUGE things!

3. March 5, 2018 / 11:27 pm

These look like great treat options for dogs. It is important to find the best and healthiest food and treats for our furbabies. They deserve the very best. I have heard great things about Blue Buffalo.

• March 6, 2018 / 1:56 am

Thank you Censie!
      It sure is important – and they deserve it just as you said.
      My dogs really eat these Blue Buffalo treats right up!

4. March 5, 2018 / 11:38 pm

I love nature and the outdoors, I really care for animals and try my best to pay attention to my ecological footprint. I have never really enjoyed riding a bike, I prefer rollerblading. I always try to opt for no plastic bags when shopping and always have one with me in the case that I do need to carry something.

• March 6, 2018 / 1:57 am

Thank you so much Nadalie for doing so too!
      Rollerblading sounds like a ton of fun!!
      I don’t think I could do that out here where I live – we have some pretty bumpy roads but I would love to try it at this one park were I see others doing it sometimes!
      I used to love roller skating but I imagine roller blading takes more balance haha.
      I think it would be fun and probably funny to try!

5. Shelley King
    March 6, 2018 / 6:27 am

We are a nature family from KY! We own a lot of acres and you would not believe the litter on our front property line that faces a road. It’s sad that people still don’t understand. We also recycle and use a cart caddy for groceries! Didnt know about the dog treats! I will be checking them out.

• March 6, 2018 / 10:19 pm

I do believe it sadly Shelley! We get tons of that from one of our neighbors and sadly I know exactly which one.
      I just do not understand people who do not care!
      So many or my neighbors do not recycle and we have curb side.
      I also live in an area where I know they can afford to pay the extra 6.00 a month for the bins since they are all constantly buying new “toys”.

6. March 6, 2018 / 9:07 am

Your dog is adorable!! It’s like he knew to pose for the pics!! These are great reminders…we have to do our part, every day!

• March 6, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Thank you so much! I was really lucky to get such great shots that day! With pets its always luck haha!
      Indeed we sure do have to try our best.

7. March 6, 2018 / 1:01 pm

Great article and suggestions. Link is so so cute! I recycle everything and feed the birds and squirrels. We need to do everything we can to save the environment and the wildlife. I’m so angry and sad about the roll-back of so many regulations which allow big corporations to pollute as they please.

• March 6, 2018 / 10:36 pm

Thank you so much Gisele. Link is a camera ham for sure lol.

Thank you so much for recycling and feeding the birds and squirrels!

A lot of people do not care for the squirrels but I love them!

I am upset about it too Gisele.

Its just not right at all.

8. March 7, 2018 / 8:48 am

Oh wow, this is the kind of post that I love! It’s always great to raise awareness like this. Will definitely be sharing this one! I myself am a traveler and I know that that has a lot of carbon footprint so I always try my best to offset that with green activities. It may seem like small actions but it will always go a long way!

• March 7, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Thank you so much and I really appreciate that you shared Aileen. Enough of us doing those small actions adds up and means a LOT! Thank you for the things you do!

9. March 7, 2018 / 9:04 am

We switched to a zero waste grocery store. So no more plastic and packaging! whoot! and we are vegan. The #1 thing one can do for the planet. We hope it balances off the plane rides we take for travelling overseas. Although last year we stayed on our own shores. I also walk with a small pair of scissors in my pocket to help me cut up things stuck to trees, animals etc. and a bag to bring the garbage home.

• March 7, 2018 / 9:31 pm

That is awesome you have a zero waste grocer in your community! I sure wish we had one! That is so cool you walk with scissors! How smart! Thank you for all that you do to help our wildlife Sonja!

10. March 7, 2018 / 9:11 am

Thanks! I learned a lot with what you said. First, I had no idea there’s a National Wildlife Week. But I like the idea of not using those thin plastic bags at the produce. Imagine every household in America getting one. That’s a lot of plastic!!!!

11. March 7, 2018 / 9:11 am

Thanks for bringing attention to this important matter. Wildlife is so important to our environment, and I especially like the tip on recycling. I get SO upset when I see garbage along the roads and in parks.

• March 7, 2018 / 9:33 pm

Tell me about it! Nothing irks me more than seeing people litter. Just so sad!

12. March 7, 2018 / 9:38 am

LOL…I am in LOVE with your “model”! He did so good! I had no idea Blue Buffalo made treats, but then again, they just started carrying the brand in stores around here recently! Love that it is grain free – we are definitely going to have to check it out for our furrbabies!

• March 7, 2018 / 9:42 pm

Thank you Jen!! I am really happy with those photos of Link too. I just got lucky things worked out the way they did that day.
      So glad they are carrying them in your store now too!
      LInk has been on this brand since he was a puppy and loves it.

13. March 7, 2018 / 9:52 am

Wildlife conservation is so important! Our area recently got curbside recycle pick up, so we are anxiously awaiting the Recycle bin to be dropped off! Thank you for these great reminders of ways we can help our environment. Glad Link enjoyed his treats!

• March 7, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I am so glad your area got curbside recycling !!! That is awesome! I remember when we first got that and I was also excited for my bin! Thank you for checking the article out and for recycling!

14. March 7, 2018 / 10:19 am

It makes me mad and sad when I see all those plastic items in our seas and oceans. And poor animals have to live with our waste. I am trying to reduce my usage of plastic bags. Thank you for educating people about this important issue.

• March 7, 2018 / 9:44 pm

Me too Monika, me too. Its just so unnecessary! I am so glad you liked the article.

15. March 7, 2018 / 10:24 am

What a wonderful post to remind us all about the simple things we can do, yet the big impact they have on wildlife! We’ll have to check out those Blue Buffalo WIld Bones!

16. March 7, 2018 / 11:05 am

Thanks for these great tips to help the wild life and our environment. I’ve switched to tote bags a few years ago and wouldn’t think of turning back. I wish I started earlier. Blue Wilderness has great pet food. It was one of the only foods my Dusty would eat during her last days.

• March 7, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Thank you Kamira for reading it and commenting! I am so sorry about Dusty. 🙁
      I always have tons of totes with me too – usually I do have to go back out to the van and get them lol I always forget no matter how often I use them while shopping. One would think I would eventually start remembering!

17. March 7, 2018 / 11:50 am

My peeps always recycle. It’s mandatory here in Nova Scotia, but they’d do it even if it weren’t. Most things get picked up at the curb but for bottles, you get money back and my fur-sibs and I get to keep THAT money. We even have a froggy bank! (Don’t ask. A kitty sends a peep out to get a piggy bank and a peep comes home with a ceramic frog, instead. MOUSES!) We’re currently savin’ up to invest in nip futures. purrs

• March 7, 2018 / 10:32 pm

That is awesome it is mandatory there I wish it were here too Seville.

Oh wow we used to get money back for bottles here too but they stopped offering that!

That extra money back could sure go toward some nice goodies for you indeed! Nip Futures are pawesome!

Hummm a froggy bank huh? Interesting – maybe that could get broken?
      Just sayin….

18. March 7, 2018 / 2:56 pm

Great tips as we do have to look after our enviroment. San Francisco has already banned plastic bags and you have to pay at the stores for a brown paper bag – 10 cents or bring your own which is one step forward to saving our planet. I just wish so many people would think about the wild life and enviroment before throwing trash everywhere as it makes me so mad.

• March 8, 2018 / 12:48 am

That is awesome San Fran has banned plastic bags!!

I just do not understand how or why people still litter to this day!

I remember being told when I was a child FOREVER ago – not to be a litter bug!

Its not like we have not had awareness for DECADES!

19. March 7, 2018 / 3:25 pm

I love that as a pet parent and pet blogger you are also concerned about our wildlife. I spend a ton of time outdoors and value wildlife so much. I really appreciate the tips you have shared so others can take care of the wildlife too. Together we make a difference!

• March 8, 2018 / 12:50 am

Thank you so much Christine!
      If I could live in the woods in a tent full time I would!
      Health prevents me from this but I do love our wildlife and nature.
      I appreciate the compliments on the post and thank YOU for valuing our wildlife and nature too!

20. March 7, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Ah, look at that, we’re actually doing great with those points. Who knew that we’re supporting wildlife 🙂

• March 8, 2018 / 12:50 am

Indeed Jana! If you are living clean you are doing more good than you even know thank you for that!

21. March 7, 2018 / 7:46 pm

I teach environmental biology, and last week my class had a lab about recycling. You have many good tips, some of which I discussed with my class. It’s just amazing how much garbage wildlife ingests that includes plastic in one form or another. I just saw a youtube video on why we shouldn’t use straws – because these affect wildlife. Good post.

• March 8, 2018 / 12:54 am

That is so cool Sandy!!

Glad to hear I am on top of things that you were teaching! That makes me feel good that I am still in the loop haha.

That is so dang sad that our wildlife ingests the crap we toss out!

Yes I heard that about straws as well and as you said people are refusing to use them! I need to look into that myself !

22. March 7, 2018 / 9:33 pm

I try to leave the reusable bags in my husbands car so he uses them. He always spaces and forgets! I have to work on training my husband next!

• March 8, 2018 / 12:56 am

Hahah Joelle – I do the same! I am forever forgetting to take them in but I do go back for them.
      You would think since I put them in there and I KNOW I should use them and I tell others to do it I would remember but NOPE lol

23. March 7, 2018 / 10:22 pm

We have recycling and compost bins and they pick them up weekly. We don’t have to drive. It’s part of the culture here. Most restaurants also sort waste/recycling that way and a lot of offices do as well.

• March 8, 2018 / 12:57 am

That is so awesome!! We have recycling bins but I am super stoked to hear you also have compost bins there!
      Wow!! I want to have them here too.
      I compost but use in my garden as no one picks them up.
      I want to live where you live if restaurants are doing it and the cops!
      Dang! Nice place!

24. March 8, 2018 / 8:33 am

Link is quite the actor…oh, no…not really, he is just following his nose 🙂 Gusto and I pick up trash along the road on our walks. We are always saddened that people are so lazy with disposing of their trash and inconsiderate of others who want to enjoy nature.

• March 8, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Haha indeed – you know I could not have made that happen if I tried. I got really lucky with him just coming up slowly to the bag. I really think he was sniffing them out!
      It was cool that is for sure.
      He more or less wrote his story for me.
      I hear you Amelia.
      I just do not understand why people litter!
      I was told when I was a little girl it was bad to do and that was DECADES ago lol.

25. March 8, 2018 / 10:43 am

We love living in the country, too. We feel blessed to live amidst the beauty of nature and wildlife. Link certainly is demonstrating his primitive, prowling instincts!

• March 8, 2018 / 7:07 pm

Indeed Sadie!
      I do not think I could ever go back to city living.
      The only thing I do miss is the sound of trains – I sometimes hear one off in the distance but it is rare that I do.
      Link did a great job finding his treats for sure.
      I got really lucky with those pics!

26. March 8, 2018 / 11:04 am

What a great way to review this product!!! I don’t get out into nature like I used to – my knees make walking difficult. I do love the beauty of nature and wildlife and can sit on my sister’s back porch on her 31 acre farm and watch nature for hours.

• March 8, 2018 / 7:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear you have a hard time walking due to your knees.
      It sounds like you have a lovely place to enjoy nature though and that makes me happy to hear!
      Her farm sounds gorgeous!
      31 acres is quite a bit!
      I would love that myself.
      Thank you also for the compliment!
      Link pretty much wrote his own story on this one 🙂
      I got lucky with great photos of his sniffing abilities.