I have an affinity for fortune cookies.

Pretty sure I am not alone there right?

This past week my mother and I went to dinner and I just have to share my fortune cookie fortune with you.

This is how I have always felt about everything that I do.

My Philosophy As Told By My Fortune Cookie:

My Philosophy As Told By My Fortune Cookie

I think this should be everyone’s motto.

“Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.”

It does not matter who you are or what you do we all should strive for excellence.

That does not mean I am the best at what I do.

Surely there will always be someone with better skills than I have in many areas.

What I do know is I do my personal best.

We are not in competition with anyone other than ourselves.

My Philosophy Has Always Been To Compete With Myself:

All through my life, I have easily become bored with things.

From hobbies to jobs.

As soon as I feel I have figured them out and mastered them, I want to move on.

Yet I feel I have missed a lot along the way by not sticking with things longer and pushing myself to do more.

There is a fine line between moving forward quickly to challenge oneself to learn something new, and sticking with it to challenge yourself to do better where you are.

My blogging career is the only job that changes so fast I never get the chance to become bored!

Having stuck with it as long as I have has taught me there is a lot to be said for staying in one place for awhile.

With that said, I was on previous my career path of life coaching for over 15 years.

So I have stayed in one place but I have to say I was terribly bored.

Taking a soft retirement on that and starting my blogging career actually brought new life into my work as a life coach!

Now I do both, life coaching part time, blogging full time.

Which brings me to another philosophy…

Never be afraid to add something more to your life!

Many times we think we have to end something to begin a new chapter but that isn’t always true.

My Philosophy As Told By My Fortune Cookie

As long as you can balance more than one thing without losing quality do as much as you can!

What if someone told you that you can only eat one type of food for the rest of your life!?

No, I am not talking about the ability to choose pizza thinking you can order it a million different ways!

I mean literally one food such as bananas, or chocolate chip cookies and nothing else!

Or pepperoni pizza only.

How long could you hack that?

Life is dull without new challenges, new opportunities, and new experiences.

Since I tend to be a bit of a workaholic it is only natural for me to want more than one career path.

Others tend to express their need for variety in their hobbies.

Never be afraid to try something different or add more to your already busy schedule.

You never know until you try if that one thing will make you happier.

When we are happy, everything is easier and more enjoyable.

My Philosophy When It Comes To Excellence:

So what is my fortune telling me?

Do I have to literally be excellent at everything that I do?

Well, yes, but based on my abilities, skills, and talents.

The key is pushing myself to continue to grow, to evolve, and be better at it.

I would like to think I have grown immensely as a blogger.

It is so nice when you have someone else tell you that you are doing a great job too.

Being recently selected as a BlogPaws Ambassador gives me the push I need to continue improving.

I do think it is great to have those who motivate us, those we look up to and want to emulate, however.

Not rivals, not frienemies, but those who we can learn from.

I think that is why being involved in groups with others who enjoy doing the same things as us is positive.

Being a part of business groups or participating in workshops or classes keeps us on top of trends in our industry.

It helps us sharpen and hone our skills and keeps us on our toes.

It’s not about friendly competition either, it’s about community.

Having a network of people there to help you when you can’t make the pieces fit, and applaud you when you succeed.

That is what it is all about to me.

My Philosophy On Fortune Cookies:

They rock!

I don’t care how goofy they are, you can always find some truth and meaning in a fortune cookie.

They are pretty tasty too.

Most people I know do not eat their fortune cookies, or only eat half of them.

I could never figure that out!

To me, a good fortune won’t come true if you do not eat the cookie.

Do you eat your fortune cookie?

Can you think of any funny or insightful fortunes you have received?

Or share your own personal philosophies with us, please.

I would love to hear from you in the comments!

If You Enjoyed This Article Please Share ItClick To Tweet

My Philosophy As Told By My Fortune Cookie

1. robin rue
    February 1, 2018 / 10:44 am

I haven’t had Chinese food in years, but now you have me craving it….and yes, I do eat my fortune cookies. I will have to make a note to keep track of my fortune next time.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:32 am

Haha well Robin time to go get yourself some! I would love to hear what your next fortune is! Hope its a great one!

2. candy
    February 1, 2018 / 10:48 am

Can’t help but open up and look froward to reading a fortune cookie. Always make me laugh because they are always so far off and funny.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:34 am

Haha indeed I get a lot of wacky fortunes in fortune cookies! Sometimes I get a rare gem like this one.

3. February 1, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Oh my, I’m glad I’m not the only one that pays attention to fortune cookies. I got one several months ago that told me I wasn’t a quitter so I taped it on my desk at the base of my keyboard. It helps to read it.
    I joined Blogpaws and am still exploring the group. I wanted to go to the conference in April but I’m going to be in New Orleans that week. Hopefully next year I can go. It sounds like fun!

• February 2, 2018 / 11:38 am

Now that is one awesome fortune you got! It really does help to have motivations in front of us! Great idea to tape to your desk!
      I am SO glad you joined BlogPaws! I hope you find the group to be as kind, helpful, and encouraging as I do. I am sure that you will.
      I wish you could come this year but NOLA is amazing from my daughter’s experience and as much as she wants to go back. We both hope to go there soon.
      Enjoy!

4. February 1, 2018 / 2:27 pm

I seriously like that fortune cookie’s words! What a great way to stay motivated on doing your absolute best every single time.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:39 am

Indeed Jeanette. I love it when I get a great fortune like this to make me think and give me insight.

5. February 1, 2018 / 2:47 pm

What a great post! And you did get a fabulous fortune. I do like to compete with myself! It makes things fun.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:40 am

Thank you Amber I thought it was worth sharing for sure. I am glad you liked the post! Indeed competing with ourselves is the only true way to measure our own success!

6. February 1, 2018 / 2:53 pm

Wow, that is a statement of a fortune cookie! I never get anything that great. I love the weight of it, everything we do reflects on us long after we are done with it. So important to remember.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:40 am

I love the way you put that Emily! And indeed I do love when I get that rare insightful fortune cookie!

7. February 1, 2018 / 5:32 pm

I never pay attention to fortune cookie fortunes but maybe I should! My kids, on the other hand, are always curious to read what their cookies say!!

• February 2, 2018 / 11:41 am

Haha I am with your kids on this one. Granted, getting a really good one is rare but I do love them all.

8. February 1, 2018 / 7:01 pm

I love that philosophy. I mean you can look at a job and see if it was well done, or poorly done. For example stitch work, or a painting, or photography…all those things show a person’s talent and how well they’ve done something. I hope mine shows I did it well.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:43 am

Heather that is all so very true! With some things it can be hard to be our own critique for sure. I think your work shows how much you deeply care about what you do! I LOVE your blog and hope my readers will check it out too!

9. Pam
    February 1, 2018 / 8:05 pm

One of ,y favorite parts of getting Chinese food is reading my fortune cookie. I haven’t gotten any as insightful as this one though.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:44 am

Haha that is my favorite part too honestly lol. It drives me crazy when someone does not open theirs! I make them do it!

10. February 1, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I usually get such lame fortunes in my fortune cookies. I absolutely LOVE yours because it is so true and such a great reminder to keep striving and growing.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:46 am

Thank you Amanda. I hope you get a really great fortune cookie fortune soon!

11. February 2, 2018 / 12:51 am

That’s a great philosophy to live by, compete with thy self is so important, you challenge yourself more.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:46 am

Absolutely! Support others, challenge yourself is the best way to live.

12. February 2, 2018 / 8:41 am

This is a really good one, I believe in leaving my mark on the world. This fortune is a great reminder to do so. I enjoy reading my fortune in cookies as well.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:51 am

Thank you so much Mimi! I think we all desire in some way to leave our mark for after we are gone. I just hope we can leave a positive one. I do love it when I get an insightful fortune like this.

13. Tammy Mentzer
    February 2, 2018 / 9:34 am

Very good and enjoyable post. A winning philosophy as well. I love reading your posts! Thanks for another great read!

14. February 2, 2018 / 10:45 am

These are all great little inspirational words to live by. I love myself a good fortune cookie 🙂

• February 2, 2018 / 11:48 am

Indeed – it is so wonderful when we get a good fortune cookie. My favorites are those that make me think and inspire.

15. February 2, 2018 / 11:44 am

Very well said , we all need this positive words each day. It inspire you to love life by loving what you do.

• February 2, 2018 / 11:47 am

Thank you so much Farrah! (Love your name by the way just beautiful!) I hope you find plenty of inspiration here on Fashion Beyond Forty. To me, even when going through the hardest times, it is empowerment that gets us through.

16. February 2, 2018 / 3:45 pm

My kids are a huge fan of fortune cookies, they love reading it too. If I can have a bag of fortune cookie for myself, I can eat it in a day lol.

17. February 2, 2018 / 4:03 pm

I have always said something similar. If you do something, do it 110%!

• February 3, 2018 / 12:09 pm

Indeed Sara! I do my best to challenge and compete with myself and always do the best I can. Glad to hear you feel the same.

18. February 2, 2018 / 9:28 pm

I always look forward to reading my fortune cookies! My son and I do it together and see how it relates to us and things going on in our lives!

19. Gemille Sleweon
    February 3, 2018 / 10:35 pm

I remember growing up my family and i would go to a Chinese buffet after church on Sundays. After we ate, we would all go around and read our fortunes.

20. February 4, 2018 / 9:10 pm

I don’t eat fortune cookies but my daughter loves them! I really like your philosophy. It is so positive and refreshing.

• February 5, 2018 / 4:40 pm

Thank you so very much! I like to try to find the light in everything I possibly can. I appreciate that you like my philosophy.