5 Things I Can’t Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

I am not a cold weather person.

I can’t wait for Spring to arrive so I can enjoy outdoor activities again with my pups.

Lyla loves the cold although it is not good for her dry skin.

Link, on the other hand, is like me, he freezes if the temperature gets below 60!

While we have found plenty of inside activities to enjoy, I am looking forward to outdoor adventures again.

February is the shortest month of the year.

This means Spring is right around the corner!

5 Things I Can’t Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

Number One On My List Is That This Spring With My Dogs We Will Enjoy The Ballpark

Lyla loves the ballpark but has never been while the games are actually going on.

She has always enjoyed sniffing out all the smells.

From the people who had been there to the concession stand smells.

I know Link will love it too.

He was not living with me last year so I never had the chance to take him.

Link is very socialized so he will not be a problem with the people.

Other than perhaps too hyper.

Lyla, however, she is not as social but she loves the ballpark.

It is a good place to try to get her to enjoy being around people more.

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

Lyla Last Year At Our Local Ballpark “Running” The Bases

The Second Thing I Am Looking Forward To This Spring With My Dogs Is Playing In Water

Once it is warm enough, probably later in the season we will get a small kiddie pool.

Link loves the water.

Lyla tolerates bath time well but does not necessarily know that water is fun to play in.

While she is an older dog, I do not adhere to the old saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”.

We are going to give it a try.

I won’t push it however if it is stressing her out.

It would be fun to graduate up to being able to go to the lake and let them enjoy splashing at the water’s edge.

Always be sure if you take your dog anywhere around water you have them on a harness and leash, or a doggie life jacket on them.

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

Number Three Of Things I Want To Do This Spring With My Dogs Is Agility Training

This one is more for Link than Lyla although Lyla can benefit as well.

She will just need a scaled down version of what Link will be able to do.

My daughter and I think Link has a natural desire and ability for agility courses.

He is quite the acrobat and is always walking on the railroad ties we have around our garden.

Link has excellent balance and tons of energy to spare.

Even if he does not end up being particularly good at it, he will have a lot of fun.

When it comes to Lyla, she needs some exercise and it will be good for her arthritis.

We will keep it easy on her though.

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

The Fourth Thing I Am Looking Forward To Doing With My Dogs This Spring Is Simply Playing Catch With A Ball

I know that one is basic but truth be told it’s my favorite thing to do with Link.

It really gets his energy out.

All Winter I have been tossing the ball to him in the house.

It’s comical how many near misses we had with breaking something, including the television!

Chasing the ball into the narrow hallway, when I aim correctly, has hindered his fun.

He also isn’t getting enough energy out this way.

Lyla loves the outdoors and does her own thing while we play ball.

She also enjoys barking at us as we play.

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

One of my favorite photos of Link with his big ball.

The Final Thing I Can’t Wait To Do With My Dogs This Spring, Ride With The Windows Down!

Car rides are Lyla’s favorite thing in the world.

She absolutely loves her car rides and is used to one every Sunday.

In the snow, I do not feel as safe driving with her so we have not taken many this Winter.

This Spring we will make up for lost time and take 2 per week for those first several weeks.

Then we will end up easing back to every Sunday.

Lyla really looks forward to her rides but being able to stick her head out the window is her favorite thing.

While she may be able to handle the Winter cold, Mama here cannot!

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

I really hope we get the Spring weather soon.

Kansas has the craziest of weather.

We could have Winter temps around here all through March.

I sure hope that we do not this year.

What we will be surely facing, however, is tornado season!

What do you look forward to doing with your pets this coming Spring?

I would love to hear from you in the comments.

Maybe you have some great ideas I have not thought of!

Share This With The Pet Lovers That Follow You! Click To Tweet

5 Things I Can't Wait To Do This Spring With My Dogs

1. February 12, 2018 / 10:45 am

I can’t wait to get out and walk with Kilo the Pug – we both hate winter and unfortunately, the little local indoor play zone we loved closed down. He does not like walking far but enjoys the waterfront and our local ravine park on leash (he is terrified of other dogs off leash). He loves agility and treats and we set up stuff in the house and garden or he tries it at events on leash privately.

• February 12, 2018 / 7:38 pm

Awee that is sad that your indoor play place closed! We have never had one here. I wish we did! Someone should open one!! I am sure there are a lot of legal aspects to running one though. Now that I think of it we DO have a playplace for dogs but I think you have to be a grooming or boarding client too. Hummm I need to look into that
      I am also terrified of off leash dogs because by nature they DO run up to Lyla and she is anti-social. Link is fine socially.
      I can’t wait to try agility with Link!
      It sounds like Kilo is a fun dog!

2. February 12, 2018 / 1:12 pm

We have a new member of our family this year, a Redbone Coonhound, and he is packed with a ton of energy. I will be doing a lot of these things with him once the weather warms up. I can’t wait.

• February 12, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Ohhhh please give your new pup some hugs from all of us! I bet he is gorgeous!

3. Reesa Lewandowski
    February 12, 2018 / 7:11 pm

I cannot wait to get my dog out there too. He’s going to be 13 this year, he’s a red heeler. Our favorite thing to do is go to the beach!

• February 12, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Aweee I bet he is just a sweetie too! So fun to go to the beach! I wish we had a real beach, just lakes around here.

4. February 12, 2018 / 7:25 pm

Definitely get a kiddy pool, the doggies will love it! When we lived in Texas, all the dog park had a couple of plastic paddling pools near a tap and the dogs would have so much fun jumping in and out, such a great idea, especially when you live somewhere hot. Catch never gets old, I really can’t understand why the novelty never wears off with ours, lol. She will chase a ball until she can barely breathe anymore, poor thing, haha.

• February 12, 2018 / 7:42 pm

LOL That is amazing about dogs how they just go and go and go! I wish I had that energy! My dogs wear me out but its always worth it! Oh Texas sure can get hot I bet the dog parks were wonderful for them! We only have one local to us. I will see if they have a water feature this year. They have been adding on to it!

5. February 12, 2018 / 10:33 pm

Oh Joely, how your post made me smile. Especially the part about the kiddy pool. We used to have a pug named Wally who loved playing in kiddy pools more than life itself. He’d splash and make the funniest noises of joy. In fact, the daycare where he spent a couple of afternoons a week bought one just for him. Thank-you for the memory, brought a tear of happiness to my eye. xx

• February 12, 2018 / 10:52 pm

Awee Ali thank you SO much for sharing your story about Wally! I just love that name! What you told me just proves how much he was loved and adored by all! I know the feeling of remembering something about a pet, like his little sounds. Just melts the heart and is so bittersweet. They never leave us really. Their paw prints are permanently in our hearts forever. Cheers to your Wally, he lived such a blessed life with you. XOXO

6. February 13, 2018 / 10:56 am

Oh I totally agree with you! Don’t get me wrong I do love a snowstorm every once in a while but the cold we have been dealing with this winter! I am sure the dogs will be excited for spring!!!

• February 13, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Indeed! I love a pretty snowfall but the cold – it’s been unreal!

7. MONICA YOUNG
    February 13, 2018 / 11:35 am

Beautiful pups. I cannot wait to take mine to the water too, they always enjoy running by the beach and getting in the water. We are super active and the rain and cold weather normally makes us stay home so we are also looking forward to warmer temperatures

• February 13, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Thank you so much Monica! Indeed we love to stay active too but it’s just been bitterly cold here.

8. February 13, 2018 / 1:45 pm

We just bought a new house with a much larger yard. Our dog is going to be thrilled about running around in all that space. I can’t wait until the weather warms up!

• February 13, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Oh yes I believe I saw that on your blog! Gorgeous place! So happy for your family including your pups!

9. February 13, 2018 / 5:11 pm

Our dogs are so ready for spring weather too!! We have had a very cold winter here in Texas. Playing at the dog park is so fun in the spring!

10. February 14, 2018 / 7:36 am

I don’t have a dog but appreciate that spring is a great time for dogs. One thing I love watching lately is all the dogs around here truly loving the snow. It makes me laugh to see my neighbour’s dogs jumping straight into snowbanks. Your dogs are super cute. Link is hilarious with that massive ball. I love Lyla too – she looks so sweet and cuddly. Dogs seem like a great way to get exercise too. Love that. Hope your spring is amazing.

• February 14, 2018 / 5:57 pm

Oh watching dogs in the snow – does that love snow – its awesome! Our neighbor has a fluffy shepherd that is so cute to see bounding around in it! Thank you for the sweet words about Link and Lyla. They DO keep me super busy and active lol. I hope you have a wonderful Spring too Paula.

11. February 16, 2018 / 11:40 am

I am so not a Winter baby as well. I love Spring. I hate layering and would prefer to wear shorts and flip flops than always have to haul a jacket. Hope you and Lyla have an amazing Spring. We’re almost there.

• February 17, 2018 / 12:16 am

Thank you I hope you have an amazing Spring too Kathleen! I hear you – while I do get excited for Fall and wearing boots and sweaters I am SO ready for it to be over.

12. February 17, 2018 / 3:19 am

I’m a dog person but where we live now, having a dog isn’t so convenient so we have 3 cats instead. Looks like you and your dog are set out into wonderful adventure in spring. Have fun!

• February 17, 2018 / 10:56 pm

I love kitties! I have two of them myself as well as two dogs. Enjoy your kitties – they sure can be fun!