Organization of our homes is a hot topic.

From cleaning out the garage to going through our closets we are on a revolving mission to keep things clean.

When is the last time you went through your pet’s items though?

I could not remember the last time I had so over the past weekend, I did just that!

Organize Your Pet's Items

Disclosure: I am using an affiliate link in this article. Using this link will not cost you extra, but I may make a small commission. This helps with operating expenses of Fashion Beyond Forty. Thank you!

Why Organize Your Pet’s Items?

Clearly, one reason is to eliminate waste and make room for new goodies.

Another positive reason is that you can donate unused items in good condition to friends who have pets, or local shelters.

I mean just how many pet hair brushes do we need?

How many water and food bowls?

Organize Your Pet's Items

If you have had pets for a long time, these things collect.

We do not need duplicates upon duplicates.

Finding products you and your pets could be using but have been forgotten is a great reason as well.

When it comes to more valuable items you can sell them.

This is especially helpful if you are in need of extra cash.

Often I trade, sell, or donate my personal items such as clothing.

There is no reason we can’t do the same with pet-related products.

Organize Your Pet's Items

Another reason to go through your pet related items is to be sure things are not outdated.

Outdated medications, dental care items are unsafe.

Sometimes we may find items that have been recalled such as toys and treats.

When your pet’s get involved as mine did, it can also be a wonderful way to bond.

When You Organize Your Pet’s Items It’s Liberating:

Organize Your Pet's Items

I love to get rid of things I do not need.

Sometimes I get to feeling like a hoarder!

Having clear space gives peace of mind.

It feels so good knowing my unused pet items will go toward pets in need.

Just be sure that you are not donating items that are unsafe, out of date or have in fact been recalled.

Plus, it is awesome when you find something that is on your shopping list!

I came across this quick stop that is well within date.

It was on my shopping list and now I do not have to spend money on a new one.

Organize Your Pet's Items

My daughter had pet dental paste in her box of pet items.

It is far better than the brand I had.

Organize Your Pet’s Items For Maintenance:

When organizing your pet’s things it can also lead to some much-needed maintenance.

I mean let’s face it, we all need to sit down now and then and brush the brushes out!

Organize Your Pet's Items

Some people may be more on top of things than I am.

Going through pet items on a regular basis and not collecting them.

However, most pet parents I know, are collectors.

It’s due to the fact our pets are children to us and we just can’t help picking up one more cute toy.

We can’t pass by that adorable pet sweater!

It’s winter and many shelter pets could really use what our pets have outgrown or do not enjoy wearing.

This is also a good time to be sure your pet’s items are safe.

A broken leash needs to be tossed out immediately.

Sometimes we may need to mend a favorite toy or sweater.

Organize Your Pet's Items

Stitching up a rip can renew the item and make sure your pet is safe using or wearing it.

Winter Is The Perfect Time To Organize Your Pet’s Items:

I like to organize my pet’s items at least every winter.

We are inside more and using items less as a general rule.

Or we are using inside toys more often due to getting out less often, and want to check their safety.

It is also a great way to get your pets involved a little.

Lyla and Link enjoyed watching me go through a few bins of their things.

When I pulled out some of Link’s “forgotten” favorite toys he sure remembered them!

Lyla got excited to see her Thundershirt!

I remember how well it worked for her for a long time.

Then it didn’t.

With her renewed interest we will give it a try again.

Sometimes pets just need a break from things, much like us humans.

Please Share With Your Followers!Click To Tweet Organize Your Pet's Items

Going through your pet’s items can be fun, so get to it.

I would love to hear what you discovered on your organizing session.

Leave me a comment and let me know!

1. January 10, 2018 / 1:02 pm

Am chuckling here as I have just done the same and donated lots to a non profit organization. Her old meds went into the garbage so we are starting 2018 like new 🙂 Plus I am at this moment doing pics and then will be posting on my auction site so that people who want to buy can do so and help a rescue.

2. January 10, 2018 / 2:53 pm

One thing I realised when I had to do a final clean up of my Dusty’s items was just how many toys I spoiled her with. My goodness. It’s been over 2 years and I just found 2 toys after re organizing and selling some old books. HA! Cleanliness is next to godliness. It definitely makes you feel better.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:30 pm

Aweeee I am so glad Dusty was super spoiled! All pets deserve that! It does make you feel so much better to clean things up!

3. January 10, 2018 / 5:57 pm

I have so many bowls it’s not funny! I don’t even know where they all came from, since most of them are the same stainless steel. LOL I just went through their toys and got rid of a lot. I have to start rotating them more often.

4. January 10, 2018 / 6:12 pm

I need to reorganize my pet supplies! It always feels so good to have things in order, and if you can help others in the process, that is even better!

5. January 10, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Oh no, not the “O” word! LOL In our house, the dog stuff is the best-organized stuff, actually. And then there is a bit of my stuff, and then there is hubby’s stuff … well, not much organization there.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:44 pm

Hahah! Yes the dreaded O word! Haha well at least you got the pets stuff organized. Me, I am constantly working on all of it all of the time.

6. January 10, 2018 / 7:28 pm

I legit became an accessory hoarder when I got Roxy! It didn’t help that the vet told us she was part Chihuahua and wouldn’t be more than 15 pounds. So I stocked up on allll kinds of cute accessories…but she grew. And GREW. She finally leveled out at 50lb! Luckily I was volunteering with a rescue at the time so it didn’t go to waste, so I definitely love your suggestion of donating to local shelters!

• January 11, 2018 / 4:41 pm

Oh MY lol well that vet was WAY off! I am so glad you donated her outgrown items!!

7. January 10, 2018 / 8:22 pm

I usually purge one room in the house at a time, but our dog items are scattered everywhere, so I’ll have to revamp my routine. I also like to clean all of the dog toys when I’m organizing.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:45 pm

I understand that. Just walking through my living room today I thought it looked like a doggie day care in there haha. It’s okay though – I love having their items scattered about. For me it is about getting rid of the stuff we simply do not use. I am like you though – I do go one room at a time usually. When I get motivated lol

8. January 10, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Whenever I organize anything, including pet supplies, I try to dump the freebies. At every pet event I’ve attended, I’ve received one of those bone-shaped poop bag holders. I’ll use the poop baggies, but I really don’t understand how I’m supposed to use the holder. I just put the roll of bags into a pocket in my backpack.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:46 pm

Oh I bet they sure do add up fast! My daughter used to use the holder but I think she gave up on that too lol

9. January 10, 2018 / 10:28 pm

I have to do an organization of pet items about every 6 months. Scooby Doo, my chihuahua has so many clothes that I end up with drawers that won’t close. I go through them and donate them to our humane society and do the same with toys.
    With my cats toys, I just put half them up and bring them out in 6 months again when I take their other ones to put up. It is like Christmas every 6 months around here.

My brushes and grooming supplies are always organized. I am not one who buys many tools unless my tools break. Everything I have now is steel so if it breaks the company I got it from replaces it free of charge.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:42 pm

Thank you so so much for donating the items you no longer use!! That is what we all need to do.
      I LOVE your idea of rotating the cat toys!!
      Cats even more than dogs seem to get bored with their toys easily. Your idea makes it more fun for them!
      I need to get some good steel brushes!

10. January 10, 2018 / 11:07 pm

Since I have a new puppy that is in shredding mode, I don’t have to worry about throwing my earlier dog’s toys out or giving them away…the shredder does the shredding with Gusto…ooops, that’s his name, Gusto. I am constantly gathering up his toys since we have the house on the market…in constant CLEAN mode here.

• January 11, 2018 / 4:47 pm

Hahaha!!! I love the name Gusto and it sure sounds like it fits him!! Oh having the house on the market means you are constantly cleaning UGGG good luck on the sale of your house!!

11. January 10, 2018 / 11:59 pm

You’ve reminded me that I need to get busy purging and organizing my personal items and the girls’ items! My house is a wreck!

• January 11, 2018 / 4:48 pm

I hear you – mine looks great for one or two days then it’s back to looking like it’s been ransacked! haha And we have all been there … you clean one room only to make another room messier in doing so!

12. January 11, 2018 / 6:28 am

I am very bad at organizing my own things, let alone my pet’s 😀 I call it a creative mess but it gets out of hand sometimes. The next time I’ll be cleaning and organizing everything, I think I’ll get rid of all those things that I keep “just in case” but never actually use.

• January 12, 2018 / 7:07 pm

Right it’s things like that that really cause the build up of stuff. I have to force myself at times, but even getting rid of the “just in case” clutter helps tons.

13. January 11, 2018 / 7:13 am

This is something I try to do once a year. We keep the dog toys in a bin and they only have them supervised because of Beau’s intensity. Gonzo will sometimes become toy aggressive because Beau steals. So it’s great that I go through them and see what is not in the best shape or I need to replace.

• January 12, 2018 / 7:08 pm

It sounds like you really have a great system worked out for all your pups! Good dog mama!

14. January 11, 2018 / 10:36 am

Thanks for a very much needed topic! Between BlogPaws and Global Pet Expo my pet stuff is always overflowing! So I go through it quite often, like if I’m going to Petco I take a bag full of stuff, used and new, for their donation bin. A woman started a pet resale business but she didn’t last long, I gave her a ton of stuff, which I regret now! Sandra and Dolly

• January 12, 2018 / 7:12 pm

Ah I hope that when she closed her business she gave the items away to those who needed them. Yes indeed the extras do add up! I can’t wait for BlogPaws this year!!

15. January 12, 2018 / 10:58 am

Wow, I need to do this again. I have one box with dog stuff in it and it is overflowing. I’ve donated some good things and tossed some icky things in the past. I even have two “cones of shame” lol. The one thing I want to keep is my shepherd mix’s wheelchair. I put it up after she passed and thought since I’ve had big dogs all my life that there may be a need for it someday. <3

• January 12, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Haha when you have not one but two cones of shame built up I think it’s time to let go. Or wear it haha sorry I hope that sounded as funny to you as it did in my head. And absolutely I would leep your shepherd’s wheelchair too. Not only may there be a need but they can be a bit expensive!

16. January 16, 2018 / 2:08 am

Mr. N’s stuff is somewhat organized (as in I find the vast majority of it) but it could still use some work! I have a donation pile ready and I should go through his stuff again and add to it.

• January 16, 2018 / 9:50 pm

I love that you and Mr. N have a donation pile. I am not surprised though you are amazing!! Give Mr. N some cuddles for me please.