How To Make A Winter Safe Driving Kit

Its that time of year when if you live in a cold climate you will need some things in your car to keep you safe during the winter season.

Depending on the terrain where you live, and how far out away from civilization you are, you may want more gear than others.

However, everyone should have a winter emergency kit.

How To Make A Winter Safe Driving Kit

Disclosure: An affiliate link to Amazon is within this post.

Below is a list that begins with the basic items everyone should have in their car.

Toward the end of the list is more extreme gear, which I recommend if you live out in the country, or will be traveling long distances.

Below Are Items To Have In Your Winter Emergency Driving Kit:

(Please Share)

Items To Have In Your Winter Emergency Driving Kit: Click To Tweet

How To Make A Winter Safe Driving Kit

~ A Good Ice Scraper, one that extends is really handy as long as it is sturdy.
~ DeIcer
~ Lock Deicer
~ Road Salt, Sand or Kitty Litter for traction
~ Flashlight
~ Extra socks, gloves, hat, scarf, even an extra pair of shoes
~ Blanket
~ Energy Providing Snacks such as nuts, raisins, energy bars, granola, etc.
~ Cash
~ Hand Shovel or Small Shovel
~ First Aid Kit
~ Tow Rope or Chain
~ Pocket Knife
~ Battery Powered Radio
~ Window Breaker
~ Seat Belt Cutter
~ Mylar Thermal Blankets
~ Magnesium Fire Starter, Matches, Candles, Lighter

Amazon offers all of these items plus premade road emergency kits. Please Get One!

Granted we could go on and on into listing things from a wire saw to emergency food rations.

Some of these items may seem extreme for your daily driving routine but in some areas, they’re a necessity.

Everyone should have a basic winter weather kit, and some emergency preparedness items on hand.

Another thing to consider would be extra medications if you have a health issue.

Many medications cannot withstand cold temperatures, let alone freezing temps.

Stock up on what you can and never leave home during bad weather without making sure you have taken your necessary medications.

In my case, and my daughters, we have to be sure we have plenty of insulin in our pumps because of our insulin, while fine cold, is useless frozen.

Things To Remember When Driving In The Winter:

How To Make A Winter Safe Driving Kit

Always have a phone charger in your car.

Call 911

Call AAA if you have it or any other emergency auto service you belong to.

Never heat up your car in an enclosed area like the garage.

If you become stuck, do not sit in your car with the windows up for too long. Allow yourself some fresh air even if it is cold air. This could keep you alive if your exhaust has become blocked by snow or ice!

Keeping your emergency kit in your car, rather than in a trunk can be safer. Your trunk can freeze shut.

Keep your car half full of gas during freezing weather to keep your gas line from freezing.

Do not stand outside of your car on a busy road, especially a highway. Move to a safe place.

Keep Friends & Families Safe On The Roads This Winter. Their Safety Means Safety For You Too!Click To Tweet

Do you have any other items you would keep in your kit?

Do you have any safety tips you can share with us?

I am sure I missed some good ones so please help out and add them to the comments below, please.

1. November 22, 2017 / 1:02 pm

My husband and I put together a winter kit for our trunks every year. It really gives me piece of mind while on the road. Now our teenager is driving so, it’s even more important.

• November 22, 2017 / 10:15 pm

It truly does help give that added comfort. Very important once the kids start driving.

2. Melanie
    November 22, 2017 / 1:04 pm

We do not have very harsh winters here. We may get one or two snows, and then everything shuts down and everyone stays home. I can see how people in other parts of the country would need this.

• November 22, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Oh Melanie it sounds like you live in a very lovely location! I do love the snow here, but not so much the cold and ice!

3. November 22, 2017 / 8:50 pm

We live in Iowa and winter is definitely right around the corner. In fact, my husband was just talking about this very thing. I especially love the tip about making sure you don’t let your gas tank get too low. I used to be awful about this until I had to call my dad in the dead of winter to come and collect me from the highway. Lessons learned! x

• November 22, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Ah yes indeed having to call dad would surely make one remember for next time lol. We are in Kansas and only had one snowfall so far but I know they are coming!! Stay safe!

4. November 22, 2017 / 10:55 pm

We just did this for our cars. Here in Colorado we are always ready for the winter weather, however it has been super warm here still. I am really ready for some snow and cooler weather!! HOpefully soon!

• November 23, 2017 / 1:32 pm

I hope you get snow soon Censie! Here in Kansas it’s been fairly warm as well and even on cold days – no snow! I am sure you know more than I about winter safe driving kits being a Colorado person!!

5. November 23, 2017 / 9:51 am

I had no idea the gas line could freeze, thanks for the tip. The idea of breaking down in the snow with my three kids in the car is an absolute nightmare! The more prepared the better I say.

• November 23, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Indeed it can if we let the tank get super low which I have been guilty of in the past. Yes breaking down with your kids would be so scary! Stay safe out there!

6. November 23, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Good thing I was able to drop by on your site and read this. Indeed such a great reminder for everyone for this winter season. Better to be ready and safe than be sorry. I once experience being stranded and I would definitely no longer wanna experience that.

7. November 29, 2017 / 1:18 am

Thank you for the great emergency kit idea, but I think, it makes sense to add:
    – a jumpstart battery pack,
    – tire repair kit,
    – snow chains

• November 29, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Thank you Roman! VERY good things to have on the list!! I really appreciate that you pointed these items out!