Vision Boards The How And Why Everything You Need To Know

Last week in an article called Midlife Women: Where Do We Fit In?, I mentioned that I was working on a vision board.

You may have heard about vision boards recently.

Perhaps you heard of them long ago but didn’t give much thought to them.

Or, perhaps you have been using them for a long time.

The fact is, vision boards are not a new fad.

Vision Boards

Vision boards have been around for decades but have recently gained traction due to celebrity interest.

You know how it is, once the celebs start doing something, we hear about it!

I am glad they are finally becoming popular, no matter how that came to be.

Why do I care that they are now in style?

Becuase they truly do work!

I have been using vision boards personally as well as teaching my life coaching clients about them for decades.

Now granted, nothing works if you do not put effort into it.

Vision boards are not difficult to make or utilize but they do require some thought to be put into them.

So just what is a vision board?

Vision Boards Explained:

Your vision board does not have to be fancy.

A lot of people put off creating one because they feel they have no talent.

Trust me, I have absolutely no artistic talent myself.

I can’t even draw a stick figure!

Vision Boards are a way to manifest our goals.

They remind us of what we want out of our lives.

Vision boards represent our dreams, plans, desires, and intentions.

Vision boards are a visual reminder of these things.

How You Can Create A Vision Board:

You can create your vision board any way you wish, after all, it’s your vision board!

You can cut out pictures from a magazine, draw or paint your own images, or create one online.

Some people choose to use words only on their boards and that is perfectly fine too!

I had a client who created hers out of photos she took herself.

Whatever works for you to keep you on track to reaching your goals is just fine.

Post-it notes have been used on vision boards as well.

Vision boards can be created on cork boards, poster board, cardboard, plywood, anything your heart desires.

What You Should Include On A Vision Board:

I centered my vision board around my word of the year.

Last year my word was Insipre.

For 2018 I have decided my word of the year will be Action.

I will be writing more about this in the coming year.

I chose to include my word of the year on my vision board.

Vision Board

The images I decided to use are all things I want to do, accomplish, or achieve based on my year’s focus on taking action.

I centered my board images around the topic word.

Truth is, I have seen way prettier vision boards than my own.

The point is, I made one, and will utilize it, and that is what really matters.

My Goals, Wants, And Desires For My Vision Board Include:

Kayaking: My husband and I will purchase kayaks this coming year and take the plunge!

Golf: While frequent golfers this past year, this coming year I will improve my game.

Sunrise: I will start working more of a day shift and be less of a night owl.

Exercise: I will tone my body this coming year after having lost weight, I need to tighten things up a bit.

Night Time: I will get to sleep earlier and get more restful sleep.

Home: I will continue to declutter and decorate my home.

Me Time: I will spend more time with my pets, take more outings, and get out of the house more often.

Work Life: I will be more focused on creating excellent content for my readers, and spend more time working outside of the home.

Please Note: All of my statements above say “I will” or have a positive ACTION, not merely an intention.

Try to refrain from saying “I want” “I plan” or “I will try”.

Instead, lead yourself on a path of affirmative action and results!

I discuss this in detail in Law of Attraction: The “I Am Versus The “I Will Be” Mentality.

Your vision board does not have to be theme selective, however.

You can include goals regarding finances, travel, business, family, friends, marriage, and more.

The sky really is the limit.

Also, don’t worry if others don’t “get” your visions.

If an image of an apple represents financial success to you so be it.

In addition, never feel like your goals are too big or too small.

From looking at my board you can clearly see I am not out to cure cancer.

Perhaps you are!

Or maybe your goals are simply to learn to unwind or to build up your wardrobe.

There is nothing that you could put on your board that you should ever feel embarrassed of!

How To Use A Vision Board:

Keep your vision boards in a location where they will be seen frequently.

Look at your board daily but don’t just look at it, really focus on it.

Visualise achieving these goals.

If you meditate, do so facing your board.

Remember what we think we manifest.

Keep things positive and be light.

No one should expect that they will reach their goals in a few days.

Vision boards are about the big picture, the desired outcome, not necessarily things that are easy to achieve.

Remember that your board is there as a daily reminder of where you want to end up.

Practice taking actions toward that end.

I discussion actions in detail in the article Living Through Intention.

It is important to understand that anything worth having comes from action.

You may get a job from a friend of a friend but the worthwhile and rewarding career takes effort, it takes action.

Everything is more satisfying when we set out with a goal in mind and took action to achieve it.

That is what your board is for.

A reminder of what you want from life, a reminder to take steps toward it.

Why Vision Boards Work:

Vision boards work because we are fully responsible for what goes on them, and into them.

They are not pre-set or fabricated rules, notions, or desires of others.

These boards, and what goes onto them are a direct link to our own personal desires.

Vision boards are in line with Law of Attraction, Law of Action, Law of Cause and Effect, and the Law of Relativity.

That’s a total of one-quarter of all Universal Laws!

Our boards work because we relate to them and are a product of our own creation.

They keep us on track and remind us of the big picture.

When we hit a wall in our lives we reflect on our boards to remind us that the struggles are worth the outcome.

They help us see there is a valid reason to push forward!

Reason to work hard!

Why we need to work hard.

Anything Is obtainable when we stay focused and vision boards help us with that focus. Click To Tweet

Vision Boards

Manifestation is one of my favorite topics.

While not exactly a Univeral Law in and of itself, it is important.

Manifestation is actually linked to Law of Attraction.

Using a vision board is simply another way, and a strong way, to utilize the Law of Attraction and manifest through action.

Creating the vision board itself is an action.

Then each step we take toward the goals outlined on our board creates more action.

So as you can see, Action = Attraction = Manifestation.

All which equate to your happiness!

In Closing On Vision Boards:

Do not worry about the naysayers.

What you believe in will work for you.

When something works for you that is all that truly matters.

Vision boards work for many, which is why they are so popular these days!

I would love to hear your thoughts.

I invite you to leave me a comment.

Do you use vision boards or know someone who does?

Feel free to share your goals that you may put on a vision board.

Also please share this article with others.

1. robin rue
    November 21, 2017 / 10:03 am

I have heard of vision boards before, but didn’t really understand what exactly they were. Thanks for clearing it all up for me.

2. November 21, 2017 / 10:08 am

I’m a big fan of vision boards and we’ve had a family vision board (nothing fancy) for years, which I personally thinks really helps in focusing on meeting your goals.

• November 21, 2017 / 1:17 pm

I love the idea of a family vision board! I think this is such a wonderful project to do as a family thank you for sharing that idea!

3. Pam Wattenbarger
    November 21, 2017 / 10:14 am

I like the idea of putting “I will” instead of I will try or I plan. If you say I will it makes it sound like it is definitely being done.

4. November 21, 2017 / 10:15 am

I’ve never done a vision board before but I’ve heard about them. I think mine would mostly have food on it. I’m weird that way.

• November 21, 2017 / 1:56 pm

Haha that’s not weird at all! It would be YOUR vision board and you can put anything on it you want to!

5. November 21, 2017 / 11:05 am

I had a vision board a long time ago. I need to create another one. It does help keep me on track and my goals in front of me.

• November 21, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Something to do before the new year perhaps Alli. I think it’s cool you had one before and it helped!

6. November 21, 2017 / 11:37 am

You have inspired me and I always have good intentions at the beginning of each year and then stop. I need to start one that’s front and center in my home office.

• November 21, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Thank you Janet that makes me happy to hear! Yes having something visual in our faces helps stay on track for sure.

7. November 21, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Thank you so much for this, I’ve been wanting to do a vision board but I have put it off as I have the shakes and so I’ve been put off as assumed it would look silly but I’m going to go for it now! After all its for me and universe.

• November 21, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Sarah that’s right! It’s between you and the universe and no judgements here from any of us. Do it for yourself and I hope you get feeling better. Maybe making the board in and of itself will help.

8. November 21, 2017 / 2:31 pm

I feel like I need a whole vision room! I’m always looking forward and pushing myself to try new things and knock off my wish list of things to do! It’s never too late to get started on your dreams!

• November 21, 2017 / 4:13 pm

Haha I hear you Crystal! That would be lovely indeed! It truly is never too late to start on our dreams! Thank you for adding that because it’s SO true!

9. November 21, 2017 / 5:03 pm

I love the idea of a vision board. I have always wanted to make one and now I just might get what I need to create one. It would be a fun visual way to see everything at a glance.

• November 21, 2017 / 6:43 pm

So happy that this may have been the push toward doing one Jenn! I hope you go for it!

• November 22, 2017 / 10:07 pm

It really is helpful to have it right there in front of me all year long. I hope you make one too!

10. November 21, 2017 / 7:34 pm

I like the idea of vision boards but have never made one for myself. I can see this being super helpful for kids who are trying to achieve an athletic goal!

• November 22, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Oh indeed! Really any goal – great for as you said – student athletes or college kids too! Great idea!

11. November 21, 2017 / 9:09 pm

Now this is something I haven’t done so your guide is really helpful. I can definitely see how they could help keep me on track!

• November 22, 2017 / 10:08 pm

I am so glad the guide was helpful Liz! I hope you give vision boards a try!

12. November 21, 2017 / 11:57 pm

I totally love vision boarding. I am planning to do a workshop with my women’s group for the New Year!

• November 22, 2017 / 10:10 pm

Oh what FUN!!! I would love to go to a workshop. Heck maybe I should run one haha. If only I had time. Maybe I need to add that to my board! LOL

13. November 22, 2017 / 8:03 am

I LOVE vision boards! It is actually related to the law of attraction 🙂 When you want to achieve something, just print it out so you can see it everyday! And those will turn into reality in no time!

• November 22, 2017 / 10:09 pm

Exactly Dina!! LOA is so important and we must take action on things to see results.

14. November 22, 2017 / 9:08 am

I’ve never created a vision board before. I will make one though (not I might, lol). I’d have to give some thought into how I would start.

15. November 22, 2017 / 1:05 pm

I have a very clear vision of what my vision board looks like, but no time to make it! I do think that visualizing things helps them come to fruition.

• November 22, 2017 / 10:10 pm

It really does but action is also key. I think if you have a clear vision of your board in your mind that is great too! Some people can do that very well!

16. November 22, 2017 / 3:03 pm

I haven’t created a vision board, but I always think I should… Maybe I’ll get on that soon.

• November 22, 2017 / 10:14 pm

I hope you do Angie. They really do help us keep our goals in sight.

17. November 23, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Made a vision many years ago; don’t know why BB didn’t continue making them. Thinking this New Year will be a perfect time to start anew. Gracias for the reminder. BB2U

• November 24, 2017 / 7:09 pm

Oh absolutely! It’s always the perfect time to get back into making a vision board!

18. November 26, 2017 / 12:41 pm

I had to do vision boards for school and hated it. Maybe that was because I had to do them though.

• November 27, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Haha probably – its never fun to feel pressured to do something – especially something SO personal!