Pressure To Look Perfect Don’t Allow Pressure To Define You

There is a lot of pressure on women to look their best, even if they are not feeling their best.

We all struggle with deadlines, appointments, schedules, not just our own but everyone else’s too!

We juggle jobs, kids, spouses, pets, responsibilities and so on.

Looking fashionable or beautiful can be a struggle.

No One Should Feel Pressure To Look Perfect

Pressure To Look Perfect

Sometimes I don’t even have a minute in the day to do my hair.

I often have to decide if I will spend more time on my makeup, or my hair, if I get time for any of it at all.

Granted I write a fashion blog, but I also write for the average woman.

I am not writing for women who have stylists, or who can spend hours at the spa.

I’m writing for women who want to look their best, but also need to feel great about themselves when they do not.

Often I have witnessed women who have given up.

Because they struggle with self-esteem, aging, or weight issues, they totally tune out when it comes to looking nice.

They say they don’t care about how they look.

For some, perhaps this is true.

Some people really do not care and yet still have a strong self-worth.

However more often than not, I am seeing more women who do care, simply give up.

Sometimes The Pressure To Look Perfect Causes One To Give Up Click To Tweet

The Pressure To Look Perfect

The fact is, whatever you have zeroed in on that is not looking perfect today, is probably only noticeable to you and you alone.

Sure it is perfectly okay to know we need to work on something.

That could be our abs, our shoe wardrobe, or tossing out old makeup that has probably taken on a life of its own.

We should accept and admit when we need to eat healthier, lose a few pounds, or tone our tummies ( me ).

Whatever you are worried about, don’t allow it to define everything about you.

Don’t Allow Pressure To Define You!

Pressure To Look Perfect

Just enjoy what you have perfected thus far!

Today my hair would not do a thing I wanted it to do.

I am in a transitional phase with my hair but you know what … that’s okay!

I am going to own it and let it do what it needs to do until it has worked through this phase.

Then I can do what I am working toward with it.

What I am happy with right now is that even on a bad day I have my wardrobe organized.

I have it to a point that even in the dark, I can fumble around and find something that is cohesive.

Since my husband sometimes works nights, sleeping during the day, I must do this often.

Even during the day, our room is dark due to room darkening curtians.

I think it is important to give ourselves credit where credit is due.

Your personal achievement may be that you are sticking to a work out schedule, eating healthier, or taking better care of your cuticles and nails.

Feeling beautiful, feeling good about ourselves is far more important than what we wear, or how large our makeup collection has become.

Feeling that way involves self-acceptance, acceptance of ourselves flaws and all!

Pressure To Look Perfect We Place On Ourselves:

Sure we want to continually work toward improving ourselves in whatever aspect of our lives we desire.

It is not a bad thing in and of itself to acknowledge what we can use improvement on.

However, putting ourselves down should not be on the list of permissible things we do.

Beauty truly does come from within.

The more we acknowledge ourselves for our positive traits the more we will shine on the outside.

Instead of saying “I am fat” try saying “I am working toward a weight loss goal, but I sure have improved my work out routine!”

Turn your statements into a more positive tone.

I discuss this way of thinking deeper in the article Law Of Attraction: The “I Am” Versus The “I Will Be” Mentality.

End your statements with something empowering rather than dismissive toward yourself.

The things we say are reflections of the way we think, and the things we think we manifest! Click To Tweet

So retrain your brain to rid yourself of negative mental clutter and instead manifest positive thought process.

Love yourself, ladies!

Do you feel pressure to look perfect?

How do you handle it or do you have advice for others you can share?

Please leave a comment below.

1. November 28, 2017 / 1:20 pm

This was a real struggle for me when I was in my twenties. Now that I am pushing fifty, I’ve learned to let it go (some what). I don;t feel the stress nearly as much. Though, I refuse to let myself go either. I think i found happy middle with age.

• November 28, 2017 / 5:58 pm

I am so glad to hear this Jennifer. Feeling confident is key to presenting a confident and attractive self to others. I think middle age is pretty awesome.

2. November 28, 2017 / 1:54 pm

This is so important for men, women, boys, and girls to remember. Because we ALL have that pressure. We will never be perfect, and we don’t have to be perfect.

• November 28, 2017 / 5:58 pm

Indeed Stacie! Great point you make! And no, we do not have to be perfect. Heck I think it’s our imperfections that mean the most. Character counts in my book.

3. November 28, 2017 / 3:23 pm

I honestly feel ZERO pressure to look a certain way. I do what I can to make me feel confident and that’s that. I don’t listen to other people’s opinions on how I should look because THEY do not matter!

• November 28, 2017 / 6:00 pm

Exactly! There is a lot more to a person than their looks, what they are wearing, etc. Just be happy with self, I agree!

4. November 28, 2017 / 5:11 pm

I had been one of those who gave up. Lately, I am trying to change my wardrobe (I live in tee shirts and blue jeans) and have been acquiring more earrings and necklaces that suite my personality whether they are in style now or not. Also, I am working on losing weight and have recently started walking my dog like I should have been doing all summer but it’s never too late, right? 🙂 BTW, I love your blog!

• November 29, 2017 / 6:48 pm

No it is NEVER too late Gisele and I think you are already really doing great things! I love tees and jeans but I think you have the right idea about just adding a little bling to make you feel more dressed up. I love your jewelry by the way and you have a great site! Oh enjoy walking your dog! That is a really wonderful way to bond and drop a few pounds.

5. November 28, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Yes I definitely feel the pressure to look perfect! This is a good reminder to take the pressure off!

6. November 28, 2017 / 7:20 pm

7. Kathy
    November 29, 2017 / 8:36 am

I think this is such a wonderful post. It’s so important to not be pressured. Nobody is perfect, so nobody should be trying to look perfect either.

8. Ruth I.
    November 29, 2017 / 9:00 am

Sometimes I feel this way. But since I am working from home and always at home, I always wear comfortable and always not in my best look. I hope people will stop trying to look perfect.

• November 29, 2017 / 6:55 pm

Perfection is never the answer as it is unobtainable for everyone. Just being happy being US is best.

9. November 29, 2017 / 9:11 am

I love makeup but hardly wear it. I feel good each and everyday wearing only eyeshadow and mascara. I think it is a matter of feeling good no matter what.

10. November 29, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I love this post. The media tells us that we must look perfect in order to look good or not look fat. My daughter who is skinny as a rail always said she was fat. I always had to tell her otherwise. The media BS about influencing our decisions about our self-worth isn’t doing us any justice. Beauty comes in many different forms and who are they to tell us what is beautiful and what isn’t.

• November 29, 2017 / 7:52 pm

You said it! I feel bad for the youth of today. Far too much pressure! It was bad enough when we were kids!

11. November 29, 2017 / 2:13 pm

When I was younger, I definitely always felt pressure to look perfect. Now that I’m older, not as much, thankfully.

• November 29, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Indeed Wendy – thankfully! I feel bad for younger people these days – they have even more pressure than we did it seems.

12. November 29, 2017 / 3:08 pm

This post really hit home with me. In my younger years I was thin and pretty. Then, about at age 30 I started gaining weight. It turned out that I had thyroid cancer. But even after surgery and medication, the weight just kept coming. I went back home to a dear friend’s funeral last year and another friend – I guy I dated a couple times – actually laughed at me for my weight. It’s somethng I think about every single day. These days I wear house dresses every day and never put on make-up. I don’t look nice no matter how much time I send trying to get there so I just don’t bother.

• November 29, 2017 / 7:12 pm

OMG Cherri I am so so sorry about that guy doing that! I feel when someone laughs at another person it’s to cover for their own feelings of insecurity or inadequacy. I would be anything his laughter had a lot more to say about himself than about you!!

I am also so sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer! I am glad the surgery and medication helped that but yes sometimes our bodies do not simply bounce back!

I wish you felt better, this is internal more so than external. If you ever want to chat send me a message!

13. November 29, 2017 / 4:02 pm

I finally this year (39yrs old) realized that the way i look does not define who I am. If people don’t like my current size (overweight) or my un-highlighted hair (really need this done soon) or the way I dress, that’s not my problem.

• November 29, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Exactly Mary! I am always behind on doing my hair color lol. As long as YOU are happy with you – that’s ALL that matters!

14. November 29, 2017 / 5:22 pm

If you saw the way I left home today you would know I don’t feel pressured to look perfect. hahaha When social media and apps that can work miracles I can understand how one can get caught up in feeling like you have to be perfect.

• November 29, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Indeed Mimi – social media is not helping. LOL I hear you about leaving the house though. I go “as is” often!

15. November 29, 2017 / 9:12 pm

I feel the pressure to look perfect. I rarely do, and I try not to let it bother me, but it still does. Now I need to teach my daughter she does not need to look perfect either.

16. Tim B
    November 30, 2017 / 2:56 pm

Self empowerment must come first! If your self confidence is built around the views of others you’ll never be truly comfortable in your own skin.