Living Through Intention A Guide To Winning At Life!

According to Merriam-Webster, Intention means:

a determination to act in a certain way – resolve.

We have also heard the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I don’t know about that.

I have never been to hell.

What I do know is that intention is not action!

We may be determined to act in a certain way or get something done, but often those intentions fall to the wayside.

I can only assume that whoever paved the road to hell had more than intention, they had follow-through if they got the job done!

Living Through Intention

Why Take My Advice On Intention:

I have been a professional life coach and spiritual advisor since 2004.

While I have never been great at blowing my own horn I will say that I have served thousands of clients with thousands of glowing testimonials.

While I took a soft retirement from coaching I do still have a handful of longtime clients I work with regularly.

When I decided to change my career I could not leave those who had been with me for so long behind.

Universal Law has been something I have studied heavily in.

When it comes to Intention, this fits into the Universal Law of Action.

Let’s Talk About Living Through Intention:

Living Through Intention

I say through instead of with because to me, with, is a get out of jail free card.

It’s an excuse waiting to happen.

Living through means we have movement, we take action.

I do realize that may sound schematic, but if you stick with me, the details will work themselves out through this article.

The first rule to living through intention is action.Click To Tweet

Another important thing to note is that living through intention does not mean controlling everything.

We can not control all the comes our way, nor the outcome much of the time.

How we handle these things, however, is part of living through intention!

How To Live Through Intention:

Living Through Intention

Depending on if you are a morning person or night person, pick a time to set your intentions.

Day people should do this first thing in the morning.

Night people can do it in the evening before going to bed.

Starting the day with set intentions and purpose will set the best tone for your day and get you going toward accomplishment.

Make a list – mental or physical on what you will achieve.

Notice I say will, not want to.

I talk about the importance of this in another article called Law of Attraction: The I Am Versus I Will Be Mentality.

Remember not to try to control the hiccups through the day.

Don’t over think the things that could potentially get in the way.

Also, do not stress the things that actually do.

Just because things come out of the blue does not mean you won’t or can’t follow through with action on your intention.

Sometimes we have to take a sidebar and work on another project or lend a hand, but we have to get right back to our own actions shortly after.

It is up to you to decide how much time and energy we allow for these sidebars!

On that note, do not lend your energy to negative thoughts or people!

You can not force others to take the help you may offer, even if they asked for it.

Give each person or situation ten minutes of full focus.

If you do not feel your help is appreciated move on.

When your assistance is being appreciated you can devote more time to the task or person.

I find that helping others, even when it sidetracks my own actions, it feeds back into my energy.

This enables me to get back to my own actions with more energy and vigor.

Negative people, however, drain us of our energy.

How To Get Back On Track When We Lose Track Of Our Intention:

Living Through Intention

Sometimes we do get off track.

Distractions come up frequently when you have a family, run a business, or have issues of your own.

The best way to get back on track and follow through with intention is to take a break.

For me, that means getting outside.

I enjoy the feeling of positive energy from nature.

Hearing the birds or enjoying the aroma of the earth.

When it comes to living through intention our senses are a major support system.

To really live through intention we need to fully absorb each moment.

Immerse yourself in each moment.

From that morning cup of coffee to that nightcap in the evening.

Embrace the finer things in life and do not take them for granted.

Often I have caught myself shoveling my morning bagel into my mouth as I pound away at my keyboard.

This is not living in the moment.

Without living in the moment we can not live through intention!Click To Tweet

What Kind Of Intention You Should Set:

This will be different for everybody.

For some, it is reaching that next business goal.

For others, it may be signing your kids up for little league.

No intention is too big or too small.

It’s just about getting things done!

Intentions can be set daily, weekly, or monthly.

Some have yearly intentions.

Each day, however, we need to reestablish the goals for that day.

No one can get everything done all at once.

Don’t Force Your Intention On Others:

Living Through Intention

This is a major stumbling block for many of us, especially parents!

Even more so for parents of young adult children.

You have to take stock of your personal investment in the lives of others.

If you find yourself picking up a load of their slack you are not helping.

You are enabling!

Then you build up resentment.

You also are off track on your own path at this time.

Set your boundaries.

Be firm.

Then back off.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Stay on your own course and get done what you set out to do.

Sure some of your intentions may have been to help your young adult kids or others in your life.

If you have done what you said you would do, then you took action.

Thus, your intention was followed up on.

If they fail to hold up an established deal you made together, simply stop with your own actions to help them.

They may see the need to start up their own corrective actions.

Alternatively, they may not.

At the end of the day, you can only be responsible for your own intentions and actions on those intentions.

The failures of others are not your own.

I know this can be heartbreaking when a child is involved.

Just remember: there is a difference between assisting and enabling.

So What Is Intention Really?

Intention is saying you will accomplish something, then taking action to get it done.

Sounds simple right?

That isn’t always the case, I know.

Keep it simple.

Make obtainable goals for each day.

Knowing you may have a longer-term goal further down the road.

If your goal is to have the most awesome blog you won’t get there overnight.

You can, however, decide that on Tuesday you will work toward building up your social media following.

So on Tuesday – DO THAT!

No, you may not see your Twitter followers grow by 1000 overnight but if you work toward it, you took action.

That is a success!

Winning At Living Through Intention:

Living Through Intention

Be true to yourself.

Take positive actions daily.

Do not let negative energy pull you down.

Believe in yourself.

Act in a confident nature.

Be brave, strong, and bold, even if you have to fake it some of the time.

Allow yourself to fail.

Remember it is okay to fail sometimes! Failure is the way in which we can learn and grow.Click To Tweet

Never stop trying! Get up, dust yourself off, and get right back at it!

Most importantly, surround yourself with others who are also working at living through intention as well.

When we want to achieve greatness we should place ourselves in line with great people.Click To Tweet

Do you live through intention?

What do you feel about giving it a try?

I would love to hear from you in the comments.

1. November 2, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Motivating and inspirational quotes. Loved the post.

2. November 2, 2017 / 1:52 pm

I don’t live through intention as much as I used to and I need to get back to it! When I worked in an office, I had a pending file that gave me the work load for the day. I should try that at home because sometimes I’m too scattered to get anything done. Great advice!! Thanks!!

• November 2, 2017 / 6:14 pm

So happy to help Gisele! I hear you about getting scattered! It is easy to do! If I did not have my lists to check things off I would not get near as much done.

3. Shelley King
    November 2, 2017 / 2:50 pm

I have people in my life that suck the life out of me. I am learning to set better boundaries. I have needed to work on this for a while. Negative thoughts seem to be the norm of society right now. I have had to take breaks from people on social media. I am trying to make changes. This has inspired me to work harder.

• November 2, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Shelley I am so very glad this article touched you and is helping you in some way. There is so much negativity all around us but we can work through it for sure. While often we can’t rid ourselves of energy vampires we can limit our time around them. Wishing you all the best!

4. Holly
    November 2, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I try to live through intention. I think it’s important to make every decision in our life mean something. If we aren’t doing it for a reason there’s no reason for it.

• November 2, 2017 / 4:46 pm

So true Holly! I have to remind myself to do it daily even after years of teaching others. It’s always an on-going process. Keep at it yourself! It pays off!

5. November 2, 2017 / 7:04 pm

I love this blog post. I really needed the reminder today, ive been feeling a little down and unmotivated. I’ll be taking your advice.

• November 2, 2017 / 8:50 pm

I am so glad it has helped. That was my intention and a reminder to self as well. Even when you have practiced it for decades it is so easy to get off course! I hope that you get feeling better soon Jenn!

6. November 2, 2017 / 8:36 pm

By any chance have you ever listened to Oprah talk about the idea of intention that made a huge difference in her life? She read Gary Zukav’s book titled: Seat of the Soul. It taught her that in every situation she should get quiet with herself and think “In this situation, what is my true intention?” You’ll have to Google one of her talks about it. Very powerful stuff. x

• November 2, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Indeed Ali it’s all about the Universal Laws! Magnificent stuff indeed! I have not heard Oprah’s talk nor read Gary Zukav’s books. To be honest I have studied LOA for so long I have not read anything new on it in the last decade. It couldn’t help to see if they have added new ideas about it. Things are always being built upon the foundation of great things. Thanks for sharing about it!

7. November 3, 2017 / 4:31 am

Ha ha ha 😆😆😆
    Don’t force your intention on others.
    Love your amazing post so much! Thanks a lot for sharing this awesome post!

8. November 3, 2017 / 9:49 am

Such great thoughts! I definitely needed to read “intention is not action”. I feel like I have good intentions a lot but very often forget to act on them. Thanks for the great inspiration to think more about my actions!

• November 3, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Thank you for reading the article Hannah and I am so glad it helped!

9. November 3, 2017 / 1:04 pm

This quote – When we want to achieve greatness we should place ourselves in line with great people – is amazing. Somethign i really need to keep in mind as I get older. This includes family, we shoudl always surround ourselves with good people.

• November 5, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Exactly! Sure sometimes we have to be around those who do not empower us, but we have to be sure we are feeding our spirits more than depleting them!

10. November 3, 2017 / 5:07 pm

All the good intentions in the world come to nought if not converted into action. You are absolutely right that the foremost step to be taken with intentions is to ensure that they do not remember just that. Of course, there will be challenges but one needs to keep forging ahead, probably that is the only way. Like you I too get out in the midst of nature and that helps me recharge and get focussed on my intentions again.

• November 5, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Absolutely Sandy! It’s always nature for me that helps ground me and get me back on track. For some it may be writing, or music, or meditation. I used to meditate a lot more than I do now but whatever it takes to get back to ACTION is key!

11. November 3, 2017 / 10:46 pm

What a motivating post! Setting bounderies and being firm, that’s a hard one but I am getting better at it the older I get.

• November 5, 2017 / 1:54 pm

I think as we get older we have less tolerance for the “stuff” others throw our way and learn to stand up for ourselves!

12. November 4, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I do think that is why they came up with the saying in the first place. intentions do not equal actions, and when we focus only on what we are intending to do instead of on the results of what we do, we lose sight of what we wanted to accomplish in the first place. I think good things happen when we are able to look at both intention and action simultaneously.

13. November 5, 2017 / 5:09 pm

This is such an amazing post. Sometimes we need reminders about living with intention. It is so important to be surrounded by family and people who add value to our lives and to set boundaries with people.

• November 6, 2017 / 5:55 pm

Thank you so much Louisa! I am so glad you enjoyed it! You gathered the best parts of the article to highlight!