8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane

I used to love to go shopping at the malls.

These days I do 90% of my shopping online.

Sometimes we must simply go out into the fray.

I have had to do this myself lately due to having lost weight.

I needed to try some clothing on to get a sense of my new size and how things fit me.

Before I headed out I had to consider some ways to make my shopping experience more enjoyable.

Today I want to share these tips with you.

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane

Shopping Tips For Comfort:

1. Wear, Or Take The Proper Shoes With You

This is especially important if trying on dresses for special occasions.

You can’t see the whole picture without the right pair of shoes.

You would not want to try on the perfect little black dress and not have the perfect nude pumps now would you?

I have been known to shove accessories, scarves, and a couple of pair of shoes in a large tote before when going shopping.

I want to know that I can pull an entire look together, not just pick out a dress.

At the same time, I do not necessarily want to be forced to walk around a mall in pumps.

I prefer wearing comfortable shoes when shopping.

Having the correct accessories with us can help us be sure we are putting together the right overall look, without sacrificing our comfort along the way.

2. Wear Something That Is Easy To Get In And Out Of

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane Tip #2 Wear Something That Is Easy To Get In And Out Of.Click To Tweet

Sure, you want to look nice while at the mall but if you are trying on clothing you need an easy outfit.

The last thing you want is an accessory laden outfit with tons of buttons, belts, ties, and gadgets getting in between you and that awesome find.

Nothing is more frustrating than changing in and out of our clothes to try on other clothes.

Keep it simple.

I am not saying you have to wear sweats when shopping but I like to shop in a loose top and leggings.

I find the try on experience much easier, and thus more enjoyable if I am not concerned with my fashion I wear out to the mall.

So what if you run into that high school hunk you haven’t seen in years.

Or that judgemental college girl who you always competed with.

Just put your shopping bags in front of you to hide your not so attractive look and smile.

Shopping Tips About Eating:

3. Do Not Eat A Huge Meal

You don’t want to feel bloated when trying on new styles.

Eat a salad or something that will give you an energy boost to get through the shopping experience.

Eat something that makes you feel healthy so you feel good when trying things on.

No one wants to go shopping after eating a heavy greasy meal.

You will feel better and when you feel your best you look your best.

4. Don’t Shop On An Empty Stomach

We need fuel to help keep us going.

Take a healthy snack along with you such as some carrots, granola, or nuts to snack on.

You don’t want to get light headed and have to end your shopping adventure early.

Shopping Tips About Stores:

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane

5. Some Stores That Offer Carts Or Totes

If your shopping location offers a tote or cart, by all means, grab one and use it.

I love Kohls for their shopping totes that are located right in the front of the store when you walk in.

It is far better to stroll around with a big tote than to end up with an armful of items and no hands left to look through the racks with.

6. Dressing Room Mirrors Are The Worst

Don’t be afraid to walk out of the dressing room.

There are usually mirrors very close to the dressing room in the main part of the shop, which will have far better and more complimentary lighting.

You will be in a larger space so that you get a truer look at yourself.

Do take your purse with you of course.

Looking at yourself in the mirrors out of the dressing room will make you feel much better about yourself, and the clothing you are considering!

7. Do Not Get Distracted By Sales

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane Tip #7 Do Not Get Distracted By Sales.Click To Tweet

When I do go out shopping I usually have a game plan.

I love sales sure, but if you allow yourself to be led astray by them you won’t accomplish your goals.

Know why you are shopping and what you are shopping for.

If you went to buy jeans don’t get distracted by the great deals on bags.

Unless you also need a bag of course.

Look up the deals and steals before you leave the house.

You will be less likely to be distracted by them when in the actual store that way.

Know what discounts are out there for the items you do want to buy and take full advantage of them.

This will save you money and frustration since you will then leave the store with what you went for in the first place.

Shopping Tips About Friends:

8. Shopping With Friends

It is about who you shop with if you shop with anyone at all.

I realize we can’t always control this, and when we have younger kids, or grandkids we care for, we can’t help but bring them with us sometimes.

It is always a great idea to bring along some entertainment for the kids.

However, I am speaking more toward if we shop with a friend or not.

Shopping with a friend can be a good thing, or a very bad thing, depending on the friend, and our self-image.

If you are feeling overweight, unhappy with your appearance, never shop with your skinny, overly attractive friend.

The same goes for your voluptuous friend if you are feeling too thin!

Yes, some women do feel too thin as well.

Don’t shop with that friend who hates everything, is not into shopping, or seems to always pick on your flaws.

We tear ourselves down enough, and you may want to rethink that friend being a friend at all if they act this way toward you.

You do want a friend who will be honest, however, and let you know in a direct but kind way if something just isn’t working for you.

Please do not take advice from the friend who never shops.

We are hard enough on ourselves, we need to be wise about who we take with us, and what type of advice they can offer to us.

Sometimes it is best to just go it alone but be fair to yourself, remember the lights, the mirrors, the stress can be unforgiving.

Shopping can be a joyful experience when we take our time, and organize our shopping journey.

Do you have any shopping tips to share with us?

I hope you found a couple good ones here you will use.

Let me know in the comments, please!

8 Shopping Tips To Keep You Sane

Please Share These 8 Shopping Tips To Keep You SaneClick To Tweet

1. November 16, 2017 / 1:49 pm

These are great tips. I don’t shop in malls anymore either. I’m too big, plus they closed the CJ Banks that was near me so I go online. I’ve shopped with friends that thought something looked good on me when I was scrunching my face up while looking in the mirror. Not sure I trust their opinions. lol

• November 17, 2017 / 8:02 pm

I am sorry they closed the CJ Banks! We do not have enough plus sized shops that is for sure. Two of the plus sized shops closed in our local mall as well. I just recently found out that Charlotte Russe has plus sized clothing! I plan to do a write up on them soon! Yeah lol friends can really be a bummer sometimes but then again sometimes they can help. I guess its about taking the right friends!

2. November 16, 2017 / 8:38 pm

I do not like shopping. I would rather stay home in my pajamas and shop online … or simply do without. However, these tips will make life easier when shopping is necessary.

• November 17, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Thank you for checking it out Tami and I do hope it makes shopping out of the home easier if and when you have to do it.

3. November 16, 2017 / 9:23 pm

These are great tips. I am not a major shopper, in-fact I really dislike it. i do most of my shopping online as well. I will definitly keep these tips in-mind. It’s like you wrote this just for me.

• November 17, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Awee thanks Jenn! That is so sweet of you to say! I did end up at the mall last night for the first time in over a year with my daughter. We went late in the day so it was nice, not crowded at all! It was cool to see so many new stores I did not know existed! Even a loose leaf tea store which we of course visited. I had no idea we had a carousel in our mall now! LOL I am in no rush to go back anytime soon but may have to for holiday gift shopping inspiration. We will see. Glad the article of shopping tips helped you!

4. Melanie
    November 16, 2017 / 9:24 pm

I have purchased so many things online here lately. It is almost that I would rather purchase and then return via the mail than go to a store and try something on. I have only been to the mall 1 time in the past 9 months, and it was not my decision. Haha!

• November 17, 2017 / 8:23 pm

Haha Melaine! I just went for the first time in a year last night! My daughter and I shopped late so it was not busy. I actually DID go to exchange an item I had bought online! The only reason I did so in person was due to needing it for a blog post I want to do soon. It was a nice time though since it was not crowded. I had no idea we had so many new shops and even a carousel now! I am not in a rush to go back although I may, for holiday ideas, but otherwise I prefer online too!

5. November 16, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Oh these a great. Mostly people drive me crazy in the parking lots! AHH!! I cannot handle crowds well. I like going shopping during the middle of the day to try to avoid the crowds and I always have my list made so I know what I am looking for.

• November 17, 2017 / 8:26 pm

LOL same here Censie. I go later before closing since I usually know what I want, like you, I can get in and out! I generally do everything online though!

6. November 17, 2017 / 10:28 am

I do most of my shopping online too, except for during the holidays. I like to browse the stores for more ideas. I totally agree with you about not shopping on either an empty or full stomach. I’ve made some awful decisions because of both, lol.

• November 17, 2017 / 8:00 pm

Hahaha! I hear you on that Nikki! I try going when the malls are not as busy but I agree shopping in the stores during holidays is nice. Many stores have things they do not carry during the year so it can be inspiring!

7. November 17, 2017 / 4:40 pm

These are great tips but the last one is the most important for me. I hate shopping. Hate it. (Not because of trying on clothing – I hate all kinds of shopping. ) BUT if I can go with friends, it turns it more into a social outing and then I can really have fun with it.

• November 17, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting Cyn! I am glad that shopping with friends makes it a little more enjoyable! Stopping off for a great meal with them makes it even better for me.

8. November 18, 2017 / 8:14 am

These are really great tips. I dont like shopping but your tips actually helped. I think shopping wirh friends would be so much fun. Im all about wearing comfortable shoes.

9. Shelley King
    November 18, 2017 / 9:02 am

I live the ideas and I do a lot of them. BuT majority of my shopping has been online. I really hate shopping. I don’t like shopping with anyone because I am a run in and out person. I know if I like it or not pretty much right away.

• November 20, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Same here Shelley! I try to get in and out as fast as I can as well!

10. November 18, 2017 / 9:30 am

Great set of tips. I love shopping and it honestly is just so therapeutic for me as long as I leave my son and husband at home lol. I try to shop online late at night when they are in bed too!

• November 20, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Haha yes!! It can be therapeutic. I think for me it is more therapeutic when the mall is not busy so I try to go about hour or two before closing time. I love shopping in bed haha!