Some Days Less Is More… A Reflection

There are many days, I wonder what I did with my day.

Especially days when work is slow, which is a rarity.

We had really nice rain showers today, which I personally love.

The sky was that orange glowy color that I also simply adore.

It looks so mysterious and beautiful.

Upon thinking about these days, what I could have done, should have done…

Having had plenty of time to do things I needed to get around to.those odds and ends chores, organizing, and cleaning I realize that some days are just days we are meant to be still.

Some Days Less Is More

You know, those odds and ends, chores, organizing, and cleaning.

I realize that some days are just days we are meant to be still.

Why do we feel we need to do so much?

Now aside from the obvious, we do need to work in order to eat, pay bills and live.

Yet, when work is slow, or life seems a bit dull and there is just “nothing to do” stop and ask yourself what did you do?

Did you take some time for quiet contemplation or enjoy a short cat nap?

Maybe you cuddled with your pets.

Perhaps you read something online you didn’t know about before.

Did you call an old friend to catch up?

Or did you sit there angry at yourself for not doing anything?

We are such a busy society, such a noisy one.

At times we forget it is the smallest most basic things that really can and do bring happiness when we allow them to.

Some days Less is more

Some days I do nothing, some days I do a lot, most days I try to find a balance.

What we need to do more of is reflecting on the good in our lives.

Our pets, family, friends, a really good acai berry chew that does not even seem like a healthy vitamin supplement.

Enjoying an orange sky after a gentle rain shower.

Feeling a fan softly humming and blowing our face as we cheat time with a short nap. What more can one ask for?

Well, of course, a lot but is it really necessary in the big picture?

I think not.

What did you do with your day?

I would love to hear from you about how you spend a relaxing day in the comments.

See more on Empowerment and Enlightenment.

1. October 12, 2017 / 1:14 pm

I have days when I don’t feel like I was productive. I work from home and my two dogs and one cat distract me throughout the day, which is welcome! On my “blah” days where I don’t get much done, I watch Animal Planet, read books, and just spend time with my animals. Unfortunately, our pets won’t always be with us so I think it’s important to spend as much quality time with them as one can.

• October 12, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Oh Gisele lol I can so relate. I love my pets to the moon and back but yes they do keep me distracted often and busy. They have their own interests, things they go crazy barking at, the cats trying to get to treats you name it. Then the need for someone to always have to go outside to pee lol. I get up and down from my desk a million times a day. When the doctor asks me if I exercise I always say yes even if I have not made it to the gym in weeks LOL! Yet as you said which is oh so true, we have to cherish them while they are with us! And I do as I know you do as well.

2. October 12, 2017 / 4:20 pm

My last few weeks have been super busy, not much room for anything but working and cleaning the house. We are preparing for my daughters 5th birthday party, in laws visiting and then a few days later heading out on a beach vacation. I find myself running out of time in the day ! I am so ready for a little break on the beach with my family.

• October 12, 2017 / 6:54 pm

Happy early birthday to your little girl! They grow up so fast! It sounds like you are deserving of that beach vacation! I hope you have a beautiful time!

3. October 12, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I’ve been having many days lately where I don’t feel productive. I also miss cuddling with my cats. They were my therapy. It’s hard trying to stay focused, while creating and doing everyday business things!

• October 12, 2017 / 6:55 pm

Pets ARE indeed therapy. I hope you can get a pet again soon. It is hard to keep focus and there is so much to be done. I bet you are far more productive than you give yourself credit for Sapphire.

4. October 12, 2017 / 6:25 pm

I try to make my weekends relaxing and be a time for reflection. I still manage to keep a mini blog that’s kept private on my local drive so I can track the things and accomplishments that were done in the past week. A relaxing day for me is spent just watching movies at home.

• October 12, 2017 / 6:54 pm

Oh I love the way you relax! I too love just watching TV and movies with a nice beverage and some snacks. I think it is awesome you keep a private journal!

5. October 12, 2017 / 9:25 pm

You are lucky because I have a lot of days that just get away from me. Whenever I sit in front of my laptop, I can get carried away and lose track of time. We all need down time. I love to zone out on one of my favorite series like Criminal Minds or Law and Order. or a good period movie like Pride and Prejudice.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:56 pm

You just named two of my favorite zone out shows! I call the Law and Order people “my friends” because I turn them on rerun after rerun for background noise. LOL it’s calming to me in some twisted way.

6. October 12, 2017 / 10:18 pm

I would love to have just one day to do just nothing. Sneaking a moment in the garden, or a snuggle with one of the cats seems to be a “cheat” during the workday. We do have a rule of “no work on Sunday” that really helps manage the week.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I love the no work on Sunday rule!!! We all need at least ONE day a week to chill!

7. October 12, 2017 / 11:05 pm

I’m gonna work like crazy tomorrow and totally not do anything this weekend. Oh wait, I have a deadline on Sunday.. grrr. Hahahaha. Okay.. maybe I’ll take a full break on Monday. Haha. So. Need. It.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Kathleen I know you will find and make the time for YOU! Heck even half a day works.

8. October 13, 2017 / 4:18 am

I am really starting to enjoy ‘less is more’ in my 40’s. While I was always rushing around with work and family life in my earlier day, I’ve had the blessed opportunity to trade my exhausting career for a life at home with my little guy. He is teaching me all about those small cuddling moments.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:50 pm

I am so very happy for you Tami! It can be so hard to leave what we know! What we worked so hard for! Yet, new adventures await and are so worth while! Enjoy your little guy!

9. October 13, 2017 / 5:33 am

This post really resonates with me. I agree. I know I’m guilty of being busy and packing me day with “items I need to get done”. I’m learning to take time for me and reboot. My favorite thing to do in my downtime is paint and watch my DVR shows when I can. Funny how our pets live by example- Enjoy the little things in life and just chillax.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Indeed Kamira! I am glad that you using your YOU time for YOU! I used to consider my ME time getting my TO DO list done but thats not fair to ourselves.

10. Heather
    October 14, 2017 / 3:57 am

We had such a challenging week with wildfires, health scares, and just the hustle of normal life. This weekend less is going to be more. It’s time to slow down and enjoy the moments together as a family.

• October 14, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Oh I am SO sorry. Please stay safe!! You are right, having weeks like that DO make us slow down and appreciate things.

11. October 14, 2017 / 5:12 am

Some days I look at the clock at it’s 2:00 and have to wonder how did that happen? When I have tons of little jobs to do, I make a list and give myself 15 – 20 minutes to get them done. It’s amazing when you ignore TV and the computer, how much you can get done in a short amount of time.

• October 14, 2017 / 12:58 pm

You are so correct! It’s especially hard when we work on a computer! It’s like being in a casino lol. Time totally escapes us!

12. October 14, 2017 / 9:22 pm

Great! I can’t agree with you more! I appreciate your post! I love the way you write! Keep it going on! Thank you so much! God bless you!

• October 15, 2017 / 1:07 am

Thank you so much! It is nice to hear words of encouragement and approval. I also have you blog up. Such great advice and information! I am all about getting the best night’s sleep possible!

13. October 15, 2017 / 7:51 pm

I had an incredibly lazy day yesterday and I loved every minute of it – it was so relaxing and fulfilling. I also did let the kids to do what they wanted – it was nice to be on their case all the time

• October 16, 2017 / 11:41 pm

Oh Lena it is so nice to just take a day and let it all go! I am glad you and the kids had a great one!