A Kardashian I Am Not Or Am I?

I am not, nor have I ever been a big fan of reality television.

I think by now we all know that “reality” TV is edited so much there may not be much reality left to it once it airs.

We see what the network wants us to see in shows like Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Sometimes that is unfair to those in the show too.

A Kardashian I Am Not

A Kardashian I Am Not

When I started Fashion Beyond Forty I wanted to reach the “every woman”.

At five foot three, I am no model. I also weighed a good thirty pounds more than I do now when I first started this blog.

It was never my intention to have perfect photos, perfect makeup, or feature runway fashion.

My typical makeup routine takes all of five minutes.

If I were a Kardashian I am sure I would spend a lot more time on makeup and beauty.

For that matter I am sure, at least for the show, they have their own makeup artists.

I do enjoy trying new brands, I love getting extra made up when I go out and know a lot about what’s out there.

It’s just that my real day to day life is more basic.

I feel that is the way most of us are.

Sure over time I have learned more about how to take good photos for my blog.

That’s a great thing as I want you to be able to clearly see the fashions and other things I write about.

I feature clothing we all can wear.

Be that to work, on a night out with friends, date night, and every day wear.

As for not being a Kardashian…

I have plenty of drama in my life that’s for sure.

If you ask me, my family is just as crazy and entertaining.

I can’t tell you how many times someone in my family or I say we need our own reality show.

Many families feel this way as I have heard my own friends and their families say it too.

Now a person does not have to actually watch a reality show to know what’s going on in them.

If you spend as much time on social media as I do for blogging, you are bound to see plenty.

The truth of the matter is we may be more like the Kardashians than we think.

Maybe more than we would like to think.

Personal struggles, addiction issues, mental-emotional issues, insecurities, weight problems, family matters, blended families, and so on.

I think the main difference between most of our lives and that of a Kardashian is that we are not inherently wealthy.Click To Tweet

I’m not.

If you see a Prada anything on my blog it’s because I found it second hand or on massive discount.

I like to keep things here on Fashion Beyond Forty obtainable and reasonable.

That means something different for everybody!

For some, that means shopping for clothing on Amazon.

For others, it means spending $400 on one core piece for their wardrobe.

Some people prefer a minimalist wardrobe of higher priced, high-quality items that will last for a decade or more.

Pieces that can easily interchange with other items they own.

Some people like to have more of a selection, therefore, spend less per item.

And some of my readers can buy as much as they want of anything.

We all come from different walks of life.

What you will see here on Fashion Beyond Forty, however, is a nice mixture of the above.

You will also always see me being me.

I do not attempt to be perfect.

Proudly I am an open book.

I let you know who I am within my articles and what’s going on with my family.

Yet, never do I live in the drama.

What I mean by that is I find every situation, every life experience to be learning experiences.

Fulfilling life experiences that later can be teaching experiences for others.

Sometimes I wonder how helpful reality TV is for others.

I bet the Kardashians have helped many people with their show even if through it they do live in their drama.

A Kardashian I Am Not. Are You Like The Kardashians?

When I came up with the concept of this article, when I sat down to write it I had something else in mind.

Then, as sometimes articles do to us writers, it wrote itself and became something else.

I thought I was not like the Kardashians. In retrospect, I am very much like them.Click To Tweet

As are all of us in some way or another.

Are You Like A Kardashian?

The Kardashians are not perfect.

They have some major struggles in life.

Showing us their imperfections.

I surely do not mind showing you my own inadequacies.

This is what makes them so relatable.

Even though I personally feel every single one of them are absolutely gorgeous!

Even when one of them gains some extra weight.

Each of you are too ladies!

Gorgeous, powerful, strong, capable women!

That is the main thing I want to express to each of you who reads this blog.

Sure I love to show you the latest fashions, talk about skincare, our pets, yummy food, and so on.

Everything I blog about is important or of interest to all of us midlife women.

However, if I can only impart one thing to everyone who stumbles upon my blog…

If I could only write on one topic for the rest of my life…

It would be things that empower all of you.

In a way, even shows like The Kardashians can do that.

Maybe I should watch more often.

Maybe we are all Kardashians.

What do you think?

Do you watch the Kardashians or other reality TV?

If so, which if the ladies do you most relate to?

What do you feel when you watch these shows?

Chat with me in the comments!

1. candy
    October 19, 2017 / 1:03 pm

I do not watch reality tv shows at all, can’t understand why they are even on tv. Far as the Kardashians go nobody I have ever know was married and sold the tv rights and photos to make millions and proceed to be divorced. I won’t put money over anything in life.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:10 pm

I think the only “reality” I enjoy anymore is where I can learn something. I do enjoy watching Forged in Fire where they show you how to use blacksmith skills and made blades. Anything where I can really learn something is good with me but the dramatic reality no thank you!

2. October 19, 2017 / 1:08 pm

Good points! I am too old and fat to be like a Kardashian. Lol However I do have crazy friends that fight and have issues. I do my best to stay out of other people’s circuses but sometimes it just happens. I do like reality TV but the shows I like are Pitbulls and Parolees and The Little Couple. 🙂

3. October 19, 2017 / 1:17 pm

I generally scoff at everything Kardashian, but this is actually quite an interesting way to look at things. Great post.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Thank you Stacie! I do not “relate” to them but as long as they help someone out there it’s not a bad thing.

4. October 19, 2017 / 1:23 pm

As much as it pains me to admit it – and I mean pains – it sounds like we all do, in fact, have a lot in common with the Kardashians.

5. October 19, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I think part of the draw of the show is that there are always going to be little things we can relate to even with all of the craziness. Bloggers do to tend to give people a window into their lives kind of like TV personalities too!

• October 20, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Great point Liz!! As bloggers we DO open ourselves up in a lot of ways others do not. I also agree there always seems to be something others can relate to in these shows. Kardashians or any other reality program. I still am not too into them personally since I already have soooo many shows already waiting for me on my TV haha.

6. October 19, 2017 / 7:08 pm

I’m sure most of us have similarities to the Kardashians… things like family dynamics and drama and motherhood. Which is probably why the show is so popular, just that their life is on a much grander scale than most of ours.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:58 pm

I agree! Good point their lives are for sure on a grander scale but at the same time as you said so many things others can relate to.

7. October 19, 2017 / 7:27 pm

I personally like the Kardashians. Their reality show is a guilty pleasure of mine. I like seeing how people so unlike myself live.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:58 pm

That is cool Leah and I think anyway we get those safe guilty pleasures is awesome!

8. Tammy
    October 20, 2017 / 12:12 am

I think they are very sincere and relatable. Just because they are blessed with good genes, beautiful and have a savvy mother who got then into a successful business doesn’t mean we should take them any less seriously. They are not afraid to admit their mistakes and weaknesses. I enjoy the show and feel we are more like them than we care to admit. Great article!!

• October 20, 2017 / 3:53 pm

All so true! I love how you say we should not take them less seriously! Great point!

9. October 20, 2017 / 2:57 am

I think one of the main differences is that they’re always in the spotlight while our families aren’t. There’s a huge difference there because we often compare them and degrade them even when we experience some of the things that they do ourselves. It really makes you wonder, doesn’t it!

• October 20, 2017 / 3:57 pm

It sure does Jocelyn! I agree totally! Granted they did opt to BE in the spotlight and make good money from it but I do not know if many of us could handle it! Nor want to deal with the embarrassment in some situations! I think they earn every penny they make from their shows!

10. October 20, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I don’t watch the Kardashian’s.

I know that I have enough drama in my life. And I do the best not to live in it.

I’m very natural when it comes to my make-up routine. I only wear it on special occasions.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:48 pm

I hear you! I try to stay out of ALL drama the best that I can. Mine or others. It’s better for your skin not to wear makeup all the time too!

11. October 20, 2017 / 12:57 pm

I just can’t get behind the Kardashians. It isn’t my thing.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:47 pm

I do not blame you at all on that Marissa. It’s not my thing either. On the other hand I also hope that in some way it is helping someone out there going through similar issues.

12. October 20, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Great post! As for the kardashians I loved their show when it first came out, they were more real, now most of the show is out in for the cameras.

• October 20, 2017 / 3:47 pm

That is an interesting take on the show and I can see how that would be true! As they got used to the idea of being on camera they probably also learned how to work the cameras more haha!

13. October 20, 2017 / 2:39 pm

I honestly don’t know much about them since I have never watched their show before. I really don’t get into reality TV or TV that much for that matter. However, I do know that they (or any other celebrity) have their fair of good qualities as well as imperfections. 🙂

• October 20, 2017 / 3:44 pm

That is so true HilLesha! We all have the positive and negative within us.

14. October 20, 2017 / 3:14 pm

From what I see in the media, I would have to say that I’m not a Kardashian! lol, I don’t like drama and wouldn’t be able to justify spending more than 50$ on any piece of clothing for myself. But I would for my kids (winter coats and boots are so expensive!!).

15. October 20, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Though I am younger than you and perhaps not your “ideal” target audience, I am also your target audience. I am all about keeping it real.

• October 21, 2017 / 11:50 am

Aduke I at times wish we could break through the age barrier that holds us all so apart. I feel like we ALL can learn so much from each other! I love learning things from the younger crowd that I otherwise would miss out on. My 20 something daughter keeps me young and up to date just as blogs like your own do! And us older ladies have a lot of experience to share with the younger ladies. We ALL rock! Thank you for being part of my target audience!

16. October 20, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I’ve seen a few episodes of their tv show over the years. I think you are right we are all like them in some ways. I think it’s awesome how they have managed to capitalize and build a nice life for themselves through reality tv.

• October 21, 2017 / 11:49 am

Indeed Sonya. Granted they had some nice family capital to begin with but we can’t say that each girl does not work hard too.

17. October 21, 2017 / 12:04 pm

I think the best way to be popular is to love the way you are. It is also the way to success.

18. October 22, 2017 / 2:39 pm

I’ve gotten so whenever I hear the name Kardashian I cringe. I’m not much of a reality TV person but I do love the concept of this post.

• October 24, 2017 / 12:00 am

Haha I used to feel the same way! Still do kinda but I figure good for them.