How Much Skincare Product You Should Use

I frequently write about skincare and how important a good skincare regimen is.

I also ask that all of you at the very least use a good moisturizer.

The fact is however, good skincare can be expensive.

Often times when I am talking to friends and readers I found out that they are overusing their product.

I can usually make my skincare line last for up to a full year.

So today I want to answer the question:

How Much Skincare Product Should You Use?

Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this article.

How Much Skincare Product You Should Use

Below you will see an infographic.

Imagine the white circles being the product listed next to the dot.

Then imagine that dot in the palm of your hand.

That is the amount of product you should be using, as a general rule.

You may find you need to alter this, either using more or less product.

I tend to need a little more moisturizer because my skin absorbs moisturizer like a sponge.

How much you need to use may also differ depending on the brand you are using.

The infographic is a great place to start.

How Much Skincare Product Infographic:

How Much Product Should You Use

Please Pin The Infographic Above – Thank You!

Another thing to note is that the amount of product based on the circles should be flat, not a mound.

Most skincare does not come out of its packaging flat, with the exception perhaps toners, serums and eye gels.

Another Way To Determine How Much Skincare Product To Use:

Moisturizer: The size of a quarter

Mask: A little less than the moisturizer.

Cleanser: More than the toner, less than the mask.

Toner: The size of a nickel.

Serum: The size of a dime.

Eye Gel: The size of a pea.

Just keep in mind that if your skincare is not lasting at least six months you are most likely overusing it.

I use my skincare routine twice daily on most days.

Sometimes I do skip my nighttime routine.

Even still, my skincare lasts up to nearly one year before I run out.

Since quality skincare is expensive I want yours to last as long as possible.

Also please note, this is based on full, average size containers, not samples or minis.

Since some skincare lines come in varying sizes yours may last longer, or not as long as mine.

Use the infographic, along with the container volume of product you use and see how long yours is lasting for you.

Shop My Favorites:

Do you use skincare daily? Do you think you may be over-using your skincare based on this infographic?

How long does your skincare line last you?

I would love to hear from you in the comments!

1. October 9, 2017 / 1:46 pm

I learned this from a post card type thing that was in a beauty magazine years ago. I had honestly forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder. It’s amazing how little you need of somethings!

2. October 9, 2017 / 5:56 pm

Thank you for this. I really had no idea. I tend to slather it on and tell it to work its magic please.

• October 9, 2017 / 7:36 pm

I used to do the same thing! It really does not take much and we can save money!

3. October 10, 2017 / 12:11 am

This is a great inforgraphic on how much of a skincare product to use. I know I probably use way too much!! LOL!!

• October 10, 2017 / 12:40 am

I know that I used to Ricci! Some of my products I have to use a little more, some a little less but I am saving so much product and money now that I have scaled back and it works just as well.

4. Tim B
    October 10, 2017 / 7:51 am

Have to admit I rarely use skin care products beyond the moisturizer included in my shower gel. Us guys should probably be a bit more vigilant in taking care of our skin.

• October 10, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Oh Tim yes please take good care of your skin. Skin care is not just for us women. It’s a man’s largest organ too LOL yes I just saw what I said. ROFL!

5. October 10, 2017 / 12:17 pm

I really need to work on my skincare routine. Right now, I am not using anything on my face. I just wash my face and use my acne medicine as needed.

• October 10, 2017 / 4:30 pm

I would highly suggest at least a good moisturizer. It will keep you looking younger longer.

6. October 10, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Honestly, I frequently forget about skincare. I wash my face, but usually, forget all the other stuff. I do use a moisturizer with an SPF, though. That’s the exception.

• October 10, 2017 / 4:31 pm

Oh that is great Alicia and honestly if you are not going to use much skincare that is the most important thing TO use!

7. Adaleta
    October 10, 2017 / 11:06 pm

How cool is this! I really enjoy having a good skin care routine, and making sure my skin is at its best!

• October 11, 2017 / 3:27 am

Thank you so much Adaleta! I am glad you liked this post and infographic. I am with you – nothing better than taking great care of our skin!

8. October 11, 2017 / 8:18 am

Taking care of our skin is very important and I started doing mine in high school. But I only use facial wash and moisturizer and they last for months…more than six months actually. 🙂

• October 11, 2017 / 1:57 pm

That is awesome Lynndee and really you have the 2 most important products covered!

9. October 11, 2017 / 12:12 pm

This is a helpful guide. I’m always wondering how much of each product to use.

10. October 11, 2017 / 12:21 pm

I’m definitely learning to use less of my products. Especially, my skincare that costs good money. Thanks for sharing and the reminder. – yolonda

11. October 12, 2017 / 9:23 am

This is a great info-graphic. I am guilty of using way too much product sometimes because I’m not sure how much to use.

12. October 16, 2017 / 11:46 pm

Now that it’s fall, dry, itchy skin has arrived! I need to start moisturizing cause I am itching like crazy!

• October 16, 2017 / 11:47 pm

I hear you Jenny!! I love using my in shower moisturizer from Curel the best! Although ANY moisturizer is better than none. This time of year it is a must indeed!