DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture And Bedroom Design

Last week I wrote an article called Happiness Is… Flea Market Finds,

In this article, I showcased some great things I snagged at a local flea market.

Some of those items were vintage hubcaps.

My husband and I used one of these hubcaps as a finishing touch on our latest DIY project.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Today I am going to show you how we took our outdated bedroom from shab to fab!

New paint in dark chocolate brown, deep red and a new light fixture made our room perfect.

Before we get into the star of this post, let me show you a before photo of our room:

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Now I have nothing against blue and minty blue, nor do I mind the flouncy drapes.

The wallpaper border, however, not a fan.

Overall the look is outdated and dull.

Plus, to be honest, it made me feel like I was sleeping in a grannie’s bedroom.

Add to this look that ugly white ceiling fan pictured above.

An update has been in order for ages.

We just always have so many projects going on our bedroom kept getting pushed to the bottom of the list.

Then I Got The Idea For Our DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture!

Once I told my husband about my base idea it inspired our creative spirit!

The light itself was purchased on Wayfair.

It is the 14-Light Sputnik Chandelier.

It is what we built to go around it that brought our style to life!

First, we knew we had to change the color of our room.

This is how one project often turns into several for us.

Being a lover of nature, and due to living in a ranch home with a lot of wood accents, I knew I wanted our bedroom to be brown.

Our master bath, however, was already decorated when we moved in.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

There was no way I wanted to take on that task as well.

So I took inspiration from the bath, pulled in the red, and made one wall in our bedroom a red accent wall.

This pulled the bath and bedroom together nicely.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

We added some other updates such as nice light and outlet plates to go along with our aesthetic.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

So now you have the before photos and background on how this whole project manifested.

Now let’s get to the good stuff!

Creating A DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

First, you need a wood palette.

That’s easy enough.

Contact local businesses that receive shipments.

Warehouses especially are known to give away or sell wood palettes for cheap.

If you find a broken down palette that is okay, we had to break ours down ourselves.

I also selected the prettiest pieces for my fixture.

Pretty to me means rugged, somewhat imperfect, knots, holes, frays, etc.

Cut your pieces.

Of course, you want to measure your pieces for the size of fixture you need for your room.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Then preassemble your fixture to make sure your cuts are correct.

Then stain your pieces.

We used a golden oak stain color.

You can also leave them natural, or paint them.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture Adding Your Own Touches:

We added pieces of barbed wire to our fixture for a little touch of personality.

This barbed wire was also purchased at the Flea Market for next to nothing.

As my husband added the barbed wire, I stopped and took a selfie…

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

While my husband was attaching the barbed wire I actually painted screws black.

We used the black screws to fasten the first layer to the ceiling.

Each additional layer was also screwed together with these black painted screws.

But first, the light fixture we purchased from Wayfair had to go up!

We have coined this the Spider Fixture.

Another reviewer of it on Wayfair calls it that as well.

Once that was installed we put up our DIY decorative fixture up layer by layer for that 3 Dimensional look.

Tips For Installing Your DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Of course, always find your studs before measuring, or installing!

You want to be sure your DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture centers perfectly.

This has everything to do with where your studs are located.

We failed at this but due to the design of our fixture, it worked out fine.

If our design were more open you could see that the Spider is not perfectly centered in the middle of our wood palette design!

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Before adding the second layer we attached some of the spider legs to the first layer.

Six on the first layer.

Then four on the next two.

The Spider Light Fixture has 14 total “legs”.

Also if you look closely you can see our barbed wire accents.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture Finished … Almost!

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Now as you can see above, in the middle of the wood – the spider fixture mount is off center.

This is what I want you to avoid by finding the studs first, and measuring your palette pieces accordingly!

If we had done this right our finished DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture would be more rectangle shaped to accommodate our studs.

We already had our design in place however to fix this faux pas.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Okay so maybe a vintage Chevy truck hubcap isn’t your thing.

That’s okay!

You can fill or cover the gap in with any creative idea you wish.

Or leave it open if you like the design of the ceiling mount and have yours centered perfectly.

I found that the cover not only hid our mistake but also hid the excess wires nicely.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Here is a wider view of our newly painted room with our new DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture fully installed.

And with lights on …

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

In the above photo, you can really see our barbed wire accents well.

The “Spider” fixture came with the light bulbs which are Edison style.

This was very nice since are rather expensive.

Sure we will eventually have to replace them but they are worth it!

They give a nice glow to the room when a dimmer is used.

When turned all the way up they are super bright!

They are perfect for our steampunk, vintage, country cottage style fusion.

Most of our home is decorated in this interesting twist of aesthetics along with a dash of world flair.

Happiness At Last With A New Room Design And My DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture.

DIY Wood Palette 3D Light Fixture

Finally a bedroom I want to sleep in and wake up in.

The colors are simply perfect for my husband and me.

Since we are often day sleepers we need a darker bedroom.

We are far from finished, however.

One reason we have put off this project is we knew once we got started, it would be an on-going thing.

We are putting up crown molding with a surprise touch to it.

Redoing all of the trim around windows, doors, and floorboards.

Plus, we are either restaining the doors or replacing them.

We always get involved in one thing and it turns into something larger but we love it!

I will be blogging about all of these DIY projects too.

One aspect we are still undecided on is what to hang over the shades.

Curtains are an obvious answer but I was thinking something more creative.

Possibly some sort of gunny sacks.

Nice ones of course.

We could just leave the shades up as is and not cover them but the light does get in.

We need a little more room darkening for the days my husband is working nights.

Any suggestions?

I love hearing from you!

Leave me a comment or ask a question about this project or tell me about the DIY you are working on.

1. robin rue
    October 11, 2017 / 12:21 pm

That is a really funky and unique light fixture! You did a really great job with it.

• October 11, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Thank you so much Robin! It was fun and I am looking forward to our next creation.

2. October 11, 2017 / 12:27 pm

I really like those drop lights. Very cool way to use them

3. October 11, 2017 / 12:45 pm

That is so creative! Sort of rustic, sort of industrial. Neat!

4. October 11, 2017 / 1:00 pm

What a great light fixture! So creative and cool and your room looks fantastic.

• October 11, 2017 / 1:46 pm

Thank you Erika! I am very happy with how it turned out. It was fun to create!

5. October 11, 2017 / 4:00 pm

I love the pallet light fixtures! So rustic looking and unique! The trend of making things out of pallets has really taken off!

• October 11, 2017 / 5:01 pm

It really has and I had to jump on that bandwagon lol. It was fun and I love the touches to my home that are US and not just something I bought at a store. Thank you so much for checking it out and commenting!

6. October 11, 2017 / 4:32 pm

I haven’t been to the flea market in AGES, but it was always such a fun excursion with the family growing up. Your DIY 3D Light Fixture turned out amazing!

• October 11, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Thank you so much Natalie! I hope you get to go to some soon! They are such fun! Glad you like my creation haha.

7. Bernadette Powell
    October 11, 2017 / 6:08 pm

I am kinda liking this light. I am always grabbing pallets and bringing them home for projects. I would like a smaller version for our kitchen. Great job!

• October 11, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Thank you Bernadette! I am the same! In fact, I am in need of a palette for my next project! I have not come across any lately but am going to go get some from a warehouse soon! Thank you so much for the compliments I am really in love with this and I think a smaller one for your kitchen would be awesome! If you need any more info than what’s in the post just message me via my contact page! Happy to help!

8. October 11, 2017 / 6:42 pm

Oh my goodness, I am loving that light fixture. It is so neat!

9. October 12, 2017 / 4:03 am

Oh wow! I love how the pallet design came out. If only we had some power tools I’d be out in the garage all the time.

• October 12, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Thank you Stephanie! Power tools do come in handy for DIY projects for sure.

10. October 12, 2017 / 4:18 am

What an awesome idea! It adds so much to the room and is so unique! I love it

11. Claudia Krusch
    October 12, 2017 / 7:30 am

This would be a great weekend project for me. I will have to get the supplies I need to make one. It looks fantastic.

• October 12, 2017 / 3:35 pm

Oh Claudia I would love to see yours if you do one! Thank you so much too!

12. October 12, 2017 / 9:22 am

Wood palettes are such versatile materials aren’t they? I absolutely LOVE what you’ve done here!

• October 12, 2017 / 3:34 pm

They really are Elizabeth! I have a plan for another palette soon as well. Thank you so much for the compliment we are very happy with it.

13. October 12, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Oh wow! That light fixture looks beautiful. That is a great idea and I would love to know a detailed tutorial to make one. 🙂

• October 13, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Thank you so much! Just send me a message through my contact form under ABOUT on the menu and I will send you all our specs. Just remember to test where your studs are. I will send you our measurements but that may not work for where your studs are. So happy you love it!

14. October 13, 2017 / 1:27 pm

This is incredible!! I love the hanging bare bulbs and its so on trend right now! I especially love how you can personalize the covered space with anything that suits your tastes. Great tutorial!

• October 13, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Thank you so much Mal!! I love that you noticed the covered space. Yes, indeed you can personalize it even more by adding your own finishing touch to that area! I considered a few things before I decided on the hubcap but for us that worked perfectly. So happy you liked the tutorial!

15. October 13, 2017 / 5:56 pm

You are so talented! This new design looks awesome and will give off more light.

• October 13, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Thank you so much! It does give off a LOT of light lol so much so we ended up putting a dimmer on it! Now it is perfect! I love it when its dimmed really low too. Gives a purple glow to the room.

16. October 16, 2017 / 1:56 pm

I absolutely love the light fixture! It is so different and unique! Definitely gave your room the extra piece you were looking for!

• October 16, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Thank you so very much Nicole! The new paint and light fixture totally gave us a whole new feel to the room and we love it. I really appreciate your comment and that you love it too.

17. November 7, 2017 / 10:28 pm

WOW!! I thought for sure you purchased that wood pallet light. It’s so beautiful and rustic looking. Thank god I don’t have a place for one in my home, otherwise, I would be spending a fortune on having one made. Since I do love the rustic charm of the piece.

• November 8, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Thank you SO SO Much! We just love how it turned out! Really surprised ourselves too lol. I mean we do a lot of DIY but that project was totally one of a kind for sure. I love rustic charm as well. Wish you were local. We would make one for you!