Adopt A Shelter Dog Month During October

October is adopt a shelter dog month.

I want to encourage people to adopt – not shop when it comes to adding a new furkid to their families.

Granted not everyone is in a place to adopt a new pet and that is okay!

Pet ownership comes with great responsibility, just like adding a new child to the family.

Adopt A Shelter Pet Month

Pets need routine.

Here, I outline some tips when it comes to Why Routine Is Important To Your Pets.

Consider an elderly pet:

Elderly pets are sometimes less likely to be adopted.

These animals need love too.

Everyone wants that cute puppy.

Elderly pets can be better for some homes.

Consider your family and lifestyle.

Sometimes elderly pets also need more veterinarian care.

Consider your budget.

Just do not overlook that elderly pet that perhaps lost it’s human due to death, or placement in a nursing home.

An elderly pet can make a wonderful companion.

Consider an adult pet:

Much like elderly pets, adult dogs may require more vet care.

Adult dogs also may be more mellow and better for a family with young children.

Adult dogs are already potty trained, and may know some really cool tricks!

Consider how much time you have to train a puppy and play with a pup.

An older dog may be perfect for you.

Consider bonded pairs:

If you have the time, income, and room in your home, you may want to consider adopting a bonded pair!

Bonded pairs are dogs, or any pets, that have been turned over to the humane shelter together.

It is sad when bonded pairs have to be broken up!

If you can keep two pets that love each other together, there is nothing more precious.

It’s double the love and fun!

Consider breeds others may not want:

It’s true. Some dogs get a bad rap.

Just because a Pit Bull is in the pound does not mean that it is a bad animal.

The humane society generally won’t put a mistempered breed up for adoption.

Check the laws in your area about what breeds you can have.

If you can, please consider some of the breeds that get a bad rap.

We used to have a Pit Bull, Jack Russel mix and she was the most loyal loving dog ever!

Other Things To Consider During Adopt A Shelter Dog Month:

Adopt A Shelter Dog Month During October

Consider if the dog needs a lot of time with their human.

If you work long hours you need a more independent pet.

If you love to travel you may want to find a pet that has been previous boarded and is used to being left behind.

Or if you want a travel companion then be sure to ask about dogs that are good on the go!

What To Do To Help When You Can’t Adopt A Shelter Dog:

We are not always able to provide a home for a new pet.

I would rather a person not adopt if they are not truly ready.

There are things you can do to help, however.

Spreading awareness is key.

←Simply sharing this article and articles like it can do a lot of good.

Donate to your local shelter.

Your humane society and other pet shelters will have a “wish-list” of items they really need.

Of course, you can always donate money too.

Granted we are not all financially able to donate money or items, so talk to people.

Talking to others about adopting instead of shopping is a great way to promote Adopt A Shelter Dog Month, and it costs you nothing.

Volunteer For Adopt A Shelter Dog Month!

By donating your time, love, and attention to pets at a local shelter you will really make a huge difference.

This is also a wonderful way to get involved in a family project.

Volunteering at a shelter can also teach your children so many values.

It is a valuable lesson for kids and teaches them how to prepare for a pet of their own.

Married couples find that this can be a wonderful bonding experience for them.

Single people can meet like-minded friends.

There is no down-side to giving some of your free time to volunteering.

Well, with the exception of falling in love with a pet and bringing it home.

That does not sound like a down-side me to though.

Will you help spread the word about Adopt A Shelter Dog Month?

Please leave me a comment and let me know how you plan to participate.

1. robin rue
    October 5, 2017 / 11:21 am

I only adopt dogs. Sure, puppies are cute, but I couldn’t in good conscience get a dog that WASN’T from a shelter.

2. Candy
    October 5, 2017 / 11:22 am

We have done this and so have my adult kids. Love our shelter babies

• October 5, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Awee thank you so much to you and your family for loving shelter dogs!

3. October 5, 2017 / 11:54 am

We bought our very first pet but after that, we adopted 3 dogs. It is so much better to adopt than to buy, that’s for sure.

• October 5, 2017 / 5:15 pm

It truly is. The feeling of gratitude they give and just knowing we did something so good to help out. Priceless!

4. October 5, 2017 / 12:16 pm

Sweet little puppies. I think adopting shelter dogs is very noble and a great way to help take care of those sweeties.

• October 5, 2017 / 5:27 pm

Absolutely Lisa! It totally is and it feels good for everyone involved!

5. October 5, 2017 / 12:22 pm

All of my animals were adopted from shelters and rescues. I think they make the best pets!

6. October 5, 2017 / 12:51 pm

I would love to adopt or foster a shelter dog. When I retire some day, I want to volunteer at an animal shelter. I wish I could save them all.

• October 5, 2017 / 5:28 pm

I wish I could too Kim and bless your heart for wanting to volunteer at a shelter some day!

7. October 5, 2017 / 1:02 pm

This is always an important thing to do! We adopted both of our cats from the shelter. I like the motto “adopt, don’t shop.” When the kids move out, we plan on adopting elderly cats.

• October 5, 2017 / 5:29 pm

We are right there with you Amber! Not so much when the kids move out but more so once the pets we currently have are gone. NOT that I look forward to that day! Once they do however we plan to get a bonded pair, elderly or special needs pet or something of that nature.

8. October 5, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Got a rehomed dog last year. They wanted to get rid of their dog in before it went to the pound we decided to adopt it. She is the best dog ever and I will always adopt and not shop.

9. October 5, 2017 / 3:50 pm

I love puppies! I am considering adopting within the next few months. I might even do two so they grow up together. I will spread the word, as I know friends who are also looking into getting puppies.

• October 5, 2017 / 4:43 pm

Thank you so much Sapphire for being an adopter and even more so for spreading the word! Two dogs are always better than one!

10. Tomi C
    October 5, 2017 / 5:00 pm

We fostered a dog shortly after hurricane Katrina. We loved Sandy and hated when she had to leave but it gave us the opportunity to adopt a lifelong friend who we’ve had in our home for nearly 9 years now

• October 6, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Aweee I am so thankful for people like you who stepped up and did this for others! I am sure Sandy is happy that she had such a loving home to leave her pup!

11. Pam Wattenbarger
    October 5, 2017 / 5:00 pm

All of our pets have been rescued. They are from shelters or the local pound. I would not have it any other way!

12. October 5, 2017 / 5:12 pm

My friend recently adopted a shelter dog and it was a wonderful experience for her. I would love to consider a shelter dog for our family, too. There are so many dogs in need out there.

13. October 5, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Ah, too much cute puppy faces. Good tips, I like the id a of an adult dog and giving hem a good life.

• October 6, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Thank you Lucee! I love that idea as well as bonded pairs. I hate the idea of two buddies having to be split up.

14. October 5, 2017 / 8:08 pm

This is really helpful! We would definitely go with a shelter dog but we’d be complete beginners! We’ve only adopted shelter cats.

• October 6, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Thank you for adopting shelter kitties! They need and deserve good homes too.

15. October 6, 2017 / 4:19 am

I didn’t realize October was Adopt a Shelter Dog! I love the idea of adopting a pair of dogs that are best friends. All of these tips are really good ones.

• October 6, 2017 / 7:23 pm

Thank you Alli – that one is one of my favorites too as I hate the idea of breaking up buddies!

16. October 6, 2017 / 1:57 pm

This is so important! I love that there is so much focus on adopting shelter dogs and more importantly older ones as well. They all need love and can be an amazing addition to a family. I already have two dogs and am always tempted get another one!

• October 6, 2017 / 7:13 pm

Haha we are always tempted to get another as well. We have to wait a bit but sure thing when we do add to our furfamily it will be an adopted pet!

17. October 6, 2017 / 3:44 pm

We adopted our dog eleven years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to us. We are so thankful for the shelter that took care of her before we met, and I give them a donation on her birthday ever year. Love this October campaign!

• October 6, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Awee that is the sweetest idea Amanda! I never even thought about donating on our pet’s birthdays! I just do it randomly when we can but I am going to start doing this!! Thank you for sharing your home with an adopted pet!

18. Debra J Hawkins
    October 6, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Oh my word, those pictures make me wish we had room for another dog! We adopted our dog from a shelter best decision ever!

• October 6, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Debra thank you for having adopted! We always want to add to our fur family but we are having to wait a bit. Adoption is always best when it comes to a new pet.