Goodbye My Friend Our Hearts Are Heavy

I have sat down to write this painful article so many times. Too many times.

Any excuse I can find to get out of it I have used.

Readers, we lost our Pumpkin quickly and out of the blue on July 9th.

It is just too hard to say goodbye.

Goodbye Little One Rest In Peace Pumpkin Our Hearts Are Always With You

I thought maybe I should write a helpful post such as “5 Ways To Mourn The Loss Of A Pet” or something that would help others. This will happen, in time. I am not ready yet.

Saying goodbye to a dear sweet friend, a furkid, it’s just too painful.

My pets play a major part on my blog.

I hope you understand my re-using of previous images.

I am not ready yet to scroll through all of the photos on my phone camera.

Photos I have snapped every day of her and all of my pets.

I felt I should let you all know she is no longer going to be featured in articles.

I can’t believe she is gone.

They are my furkids, my friends, my mascots, and so much more.

My pets are part of the family.

I had to cancel a doctor’s appointment the day after Pumpkin left us.

The reason I gave when they asked: “A family member just died”.

Pumpkin and all of my pets are family members.

Goodbye Pumpkin You Are Forever In Our Hearts

My sweet cuddly girl passed away within five minutes of us noticing something was wrong.

There were no warning signs.

My husband and I had just sat down to eat dinner and she started to make strange noises.

She coughed a couple of times, her breathing became labored, and she was gone.

My husband only had time to get her from the cat tree she was laying on and put her on the floor.

We were both by her side when she passed.

It’s just a fact that no matter how well you take care of a pet, this can happen.

Vet visits, excellent pet food, grooming, and all the love in the world can not stop sudden death in pets.

Since we do not use harmful chemicals or leave toxic things around that can harm our pets I was bewildered.

I won’t even have flowers in my home that are poisonous to pets.

We have had pets who took time in their passing.

When we knew it was coming.

Times when we had to make tough decisions about prolonging their suffering trying to have treatments done.

Or just letting go, saying goodbye, and having the unimaginable done so they no longer would suffer.

No matter which way it goes, it is never easy, and you never have enough time for those goodbyes.

Of course, I spent a few days doing the self-blame, wondering what I did wrong.

Goodbye Sweetie Forever In Our Hearts Our Pumpkin

Then we were told that some cats have heart problems that can not be detected with regular vet visits.

Putting a seemingly healthy cat through the process to detect such heart conditions would not be fair to the pet.

Even had we done that and found out she had a heart condition the treatment process would have been torture to her as well.

Getting that kind of treatment local to us is just not possible.

We did not get an autopsy.

Based upon how suddenly she passed, and the way she was acting the moments prior to her passing, our vet and we are fairly certain she had an undetected heart disease.

The most shocking part of all of this outside of her leaving us is that she was our youngest, most active, and playful cat.

We absolutely never saw this coming!

Love your pets.

They leave us too soon no matter how long of a life they have.

Please see Pumpkin’s Pet Profile in order to understand how absolutely special she was.

There is a hole in our home and our hearts.

I am in tears thinking about how we were deprived of a real goodbye.

Yet then I think of the times I had time for those goodbyes with other pets and how much torture that was as well.

Nub misses his girlfriend terribly.

Goodbye Pumpkin We Love You SO Much!

You truly can see depression in the face of a cat.

We are comforting the other pets in our home, especially Nub. He is so sad.

I miss spooning with her every night.

She used to sit at the window beside my bed, enjoying the breeze on her little face.

She would go back and forth all night between the window and me until she fell asleep right next to me.

My husband misses her greeting him when he comes home from work.

We both miss her pawing at our faces for more attention.

So many little things, special things that are now gone.

So sorry, I can’t write about this anymore.

Thank you, readers, for the love and attention you have given our Pumpkin in the past.

Rest In Peace Pumpkin.

See you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Mom and Dad

• August 2, 2017 / 3:28 pm

It is just as hard as losing family. It is losing family. Thank you Cherri so much for your condolences.

1. August 1, 2017 / 10:38 am

Aww, I am so sorry to hear about Pumpkin. We lost our Gracie cat in March. It was absolutely devastating. We woke up early in the morning because she was sick, and took her to the vet. We thought they would do surgery and she would be fine, but she didn’t even make it to surgery. It is true, one moment they can be fine and the next they are gone. It has been absolutely hard, and we ended up adopting two rescue cats a few months later, but when I think of Gracie it is just so hard. I hope you are hanging in there, it is clear how much you and your family loved her.
    Marysa recently posted…Overlook Mountain, Catskills, NYMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 3:39 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your dear Gracie! Thank you so much for being an adopter of rescue cats! That is a great way to honor Gracie’s memory! Those two new furbabies deserve a loving caring home like yours!

Yes when it happens so fast like that it is just numbing!

We just have to love them to bits every single day they are with us.

Thank you for your support in this time.

I bet Gracie and Pumpkin are living it up together!
      Fashion Beyond Forty recently posted…Goodbye My Friend Our Hearts Are HeavyMy Profile

2. August 1, 2017 / 10:58 am

I’m so sorry to hear about Pumpkin. It’s never easy to loose a pet, especially when it is sudden. I know your grief, I’ve been there.

• August 2, 2017 / 3:31 pm

I am so sorry you have been there too Jennifer. Pets are one of the few wonderful innocent things in this world. I wish they could live forever.

3. August 1, 2017 / 1:12 pm

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Our golden is getting up there in age and we’re starting to see the affects of aging. I’m dreading the day we lose him, but I know he’s loved and living the best life we can give him. I hope you find peace in all of this :'(

• August 2, 2017 / 3:32 pm

I am so sorry your Golden is getting older. It is so hard to see them so helpless. Thank you yes there is peace. Just what you are doing brings much of it – giving them the best most loved life we can.

4. August 1, 2017 / 4:50 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss of Pumpkin …she was a beautiful kitty. I can’t imagine losing a kitty so suddenly without warning. It’s hard enough when you know it is coming. Sending much support across the miles to you and your family.
    The Daily Pip recently posted…Ruby On The Farmer’s DogMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Exactly – when it hits out of the blue when they are SO young it’s unimaginable. Thank you so much for your kind message. Pumpkin was an exceptionally gorgeous cat. She will forever be with us.

5. Claudia Krusch
    August 1, 2017 / 8:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy losing a pet. I hope some time can help you heal.

• August 2, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Thank you Claudia. She will forever be with us – just in a different way.

• August 2, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Thank you so much. I know she did – she was soooo loved and I am so thankful she got tons of attention when she was with us. We just have to show our furkids as much love as we can each and every day.

6. MizzBassie
    August 1, 2017 / 11:45 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss. It must be even worse for bein so sudden. I’ll light a candle for your Pumpkin tonight.

• August 2, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Thank you for lighting a candle! We do the same in our family so that means A LOT to me! Much love to you.

7. August 1, 2017 / 11:55 pm

I’m sorry about you cat. Our pets truly are members of the family and I cried my eyes out when our family dog a few years ago. It was a pain like no other.
    ricci recently posted…My Current Skincare RoutineMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:37 pm

It sure is a pain like no other. We just are left to guess what they are thinking and feeling. I think that is the worst part. Its like losing a family member who had alzheimer’s, which we have been through as well. The lack of being able to communicate makes it impossible to know things. So hard. Thank you Ricci and I am SO sorry about your pup. Hugs to you!

8. August 2, 2017 / 5:29 am

I am very sorry for your loss. Pets are not just pet but family. It’s painful to lose any of them. It’s easy to blame yourself but please don’t do it, it’s not your fault.
    Chubskulit Rose recently posted…July Round Up #FamilyPictureJulyMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Indeed they sure are! And thank you, I know it is not my fault and you are right there is always self-blame, It isn’t healthy and it is pointless. I know I gave her a great home and so much love. Thank you so much for that reminder!

9. August 2, 2017 / 6:19 am

I have two cats that are dear to me and I can only imagine the pain that you’re feeling right now. It’s not easy to lose a family member. Pumpkin was a sweet girl, she was lucky to have a fur mama like you, just like you were lucky to have her.
    AnnMarie John recently posted…5 Tips to Keep Social Media from Ruling your LifeMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Thank you so much AnnMarie. That means the world to me. Give your kitties extra snuggles today for me please.

10. Jennifer G
    August 2, 2017 / 6:57 am

It is so hard to lose a family member! I am offering my condolences in this trying time. Just remember she loved you as much as you loved her. You were both lucky to have had eachother. XO

• August 2, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Indeed Jennifer that means so much! It is true she knew how much she was loved and that does help.

11. August 2, 2017 / 10:14 am

I am so sorry this happened. The amount of love you have for Pumpkin is so obvious, I know that she felt it too. She was loved and had a wonderful life with you, I know it will not make the loss easier. But I do hope you find peace in knowing she had a good life. The way she passed is heartbreaking and so sudden, I am so sorry.
    Emily recently posted…Master Bathroom & kids bathroom tour and ideas – Room By Room series week 6My Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Indeed Emily. That we gave her the best life possible means so much. It was far too soon for her as she was so young. That is why every moment matters. Thank you so much for your message. It means so much to me!

12. August 2, 2017 / 12:23 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Pumpkin, your beloved cat, passing away suddenly. It is so hard. I have been there and it’s never easy to say goodbye especially suddenly. I dread the day when I lose my Yorkie. He loves me and I love him just like he is my child.

Hugs. I can tell how much Pumpkin was loved.
    uprunforlife recently posted…10 Reasons Why Untreated Depression is Bad for Your HealthMy Profile

• August 2, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Thank you so much. I hope your Yorkie is with you forever! If only that could happen. It is so hard to “let go” isn’t it! I just know people like us give them the best life possible while with us. That means so much.
      Thank you for your sweet message.

13. August 2, 2017 / 1:29 pm

You had me in tears. I am very attached to my pets. They are nothing short of a family member who is just important as the rest. It’s never easy saying goodbye because they are often the best family member, friend, sidekick, and confidant you will ever have.

• August 2, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Awee so sorry Louise. I was in tears as well. They are the best too aren’t they! They never judge and always love us no matter what. I am glad we can give them so much in return.

• August 2, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Angela thank you so very much. You are so sweet. Pumpkin is forever with us just in a different way now. I wish the best health and happiest life for your furbabies. They are so lucky to have you as a furmama!

• August 3, 2017 / 11:20 pm

Thank you so much Shannon truly. It is so wonderful to read so many kind messages. I am so sorry your parents had to go through losing a pet. 🙁

14. August 2, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Awww, sorry to hear about Pumpkin. Losing a pet is very tough, I think about that possibility when my kids ask for a pet. It’s hard to cherish the memories during such a tough time.
    Mimi Green recently posted…A Crab Feast For A Cause Is Just What It WasMy Profile

• August 3, 2017 / 11:18 pm

Totally understand wanting to spare your kids and yourself from the pain. I will say though it is totally worth it! Pets teach kids so much. And us!
      I am sure you already know this though.
      I thank you so much for your kindness. It means the world to me.

15. August 3, 2017 / 6:46 am

That paw print is a nice memory of your time together. Remember to reflect on the good times now versus just the sadness of the loss. I hope your post helped with that. Sorry that your family is missing a beloved piece of it now.

• August 3, 2017 / 11:08 pm

Thank you so much Tim. Your message is truly heartfelt and makes so much sense. I do think writing the post helped. We focus on the good memories for sure. As do all of your comments and kindness.

16. August 3, 2017 / 10:00 am

Every time I see a post like this it breaks my heart. Sending you some love and prayers! It’s never easy to lose a fur baby that we love so dearly. They can never be replaced in our hearts.
    Carol Cassara recently posted…Feeling is healingMy Profile

17. August 3, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I am sorry for your loss! I hope that you can look back at the great memories and smile. This is all we can do. Grief is a very strong emotion that we have to cope to live with. Hugs to you, my friend!

• August 3, 2017 / 11:04 pm

Thank you so much that truly does mean a lot to me, to all of us here. We do have so many beautiful memories with our Pumpkin and we just look around and remember things about her. She will always be a part of us. Hugs back. xox

18. August 4, 2017 / 1:54 am

I’m so sorry for loss! I can only imagine what you and your family felt. Hopefully, the fond memories you shared will warm your hearts and lighten the burden a little.

• August 4, 2017 / 2:37 pm

Indeed Louisa they do and continue to each day. Thank you for your sweet message it helps a lot.

19. August 4, 2017 / 7:30 pm

Oh I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of Pumpkin. Reading how it all happened it reminded me of the passing of my first cat Precious. She had a mild heart murmur that was detected when she was a kitten but she lived a normal life not noticeable issues until the day she passes, like Pumpkin. She seemed tired and moody however we literally just fly cross country 3000 miles and I figured it was the flight combined with her sedative wearing off. Like Pumpkin my cat started coughing behavior, but nothing came up. She passed away very quickly in my arms. I too didn’t get an autopsy however think it was either the heart murmur has worsened or perhaps the sedative didn’t mix well. Either way devastating. Only thing that gave me some peace was being right with her when she passed.
    So sorry again. Give Nub extra cuddles and attention. Nub knows too and may be depressed. I blog about this very subject as a result of my cats passing. Thanks for sharing such a personal testimony with us. Sending you hugs.

• August 4, 2017 / 10:20 pm

I would have thought the same – that it was the trip.

I am so so sorry your Precious had to leave you like our Pumpkin.

Indeed devastating. I am thankful for us both that we were able to hold them one last time.

I think about if Pumpkin had passed even one hour before we would not have been home with her. We were out running an errand. I came home, made some Salmon and just as we sat down to eat she began to cough. This makes me think both of our kitties passed of the same thing – the symptoms are just alike.

I do love your blog and find a lot of wonderful information on it. Thank you for your dedication to pets.

Also for your very heartfelt comment.

I will absolutely give Nubbins some extra love and cuddles.

20. August 5, 2017 / 9:20 am

That’s really a bad news. I too had a pet that I lost a time ago but her memories are still fresh. It was disheartening.

• August 5, 2017 / 2:14 pm

Awee I am so sorry Sandy. Yeah we always miss our pets – forever – they are such a huge part of us. Thank you for your condolences.

21. August 5, 2017 / 8:51 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is devastating, but I hope you are finding some small comfort in knowing that you and your husband were with Pumpkin when she passed. I truly believe that your presence comforted her. And thank you for the reminder to appreciate our pets while we have them. I’m actually going to go play with my two pups right now.

• August 6, 2017 / 11:47 pm

Thank you so very much Irene. Indeed yes we are finding comfort in that. Please give your pups some extra love for me. Our precious babies are just as susceptible to sudden health issues as we humans are. Much love xox