5 Things Every Self-Employed Woman Needs To Know

In today’s times, women comprise nearly half of the workforce.

Like me, many women are self-employed.

There are so many opportunities for self-employment from blogging, like myself, to selling skin care.

So many of us are generating a good income for their families through freelance work.

I have worked from home as a self-employed woman for three decades.

If you are like me, there are 5 things you need to know.

This post was sponsored by MetLife as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.

5 Things Every Self-Employed Woman Needs To Know

Number One:

You are not alone!

There were days, before the Internet was thriving, that I felt secluded. Today there are many groups that you can join that will help you feel part of something.

Facebook offers groups of like-minded, self-employed women who band together for support.

From getting over a hump to networking, you can find groups easily by searching.

Don’t allow yourself to get swallowed up by seclusion.

Reach out to others.

Number Two:

Set boundaries!

It is easy to allow others to take advantage of the fact you work from home.

Yes, part of the reason I chose to work from home was out of necessity.

I have a daughter with medical needs and she needed me available to her.

Yet sometimes, family, and or friends, would infringe upon my work time.

Granted, in time they learned that I really do work and like any other job, my at home business was a real business.

By setting strong boundaries you will relieve yourself from the pressures of trying to do everything, for everyone, at all times.

Number Three:

Be Organized.

Sure, you are your own boss.

You can do what you want when you want, and take off if you feel like it.

Just remember that any good employer has a schedule.

There are tasks that must be accomplished every day.

Don’t let yourself off the hook when it comes to a schedule.

You owe it to yourself, and your success to be on top of your game.

You are the boss, so remember to act like one.

Number Four:

Take breaks!

In opposition to number three above, some of us need to know when to relax!

If you are A-Type personality like me, you may need to give yourself scheduled time off.

Remember why you are working from home, and that your family comes first.

Yes, you need to meet deadlines, and make income for your family.

You also need, and deserve time to yourself, and with your family and friends.

When I set time off to do these things I find I do not lose productivity.

Enjoy life!

This brings us to the last and most important thing you need to know as a self-employed woman:

Who Are You Working For 5 Things Every Self-Employed Woman Needs To Know

Number Five:

Get Life Insurance!

We work from home for a reason.

For most of us, it is because we want to give our children, our families the best life possible.

We want to be there for them when they need us.

Yet we often forget that being self-employed means no paid holidays, sick leave, or vacations.

Most importantly, no employer-provided life insurance!

We work so hard and face so many obstacles and wonderful success working for ourselves.

Let’s not forget to protect what we have built.

Make sure that your family is covered in the event of your death.

A lack of life insurance can have a significant impact on your loved ones even if you are not the primary earner for your family.

I personally make enough income to make a difference in our lifestyle and I do not want my family to suffer that lifestyle when I am gone.

Also in the case of your passing, your spouse will need time off from work to iron out the details.

This can result in more income loss for the family.

No one enjoys talking about this topic, but I aim to empower and educate my readers.

I feel this is a very important issue we need to discuss openly.

There are other major issues that can result from your passing when you are self-employed.

Such as childcare expenses not being covered to your spouse needing to move out of the family home.

I never want my husband to have to move from the home we have created together as a family.

So why aren’t more self-employed women getting life insurance?

• Research shows that a primary barrier that keeps consumers from protecting their loved ones with life insurance is a medical exam[1].
  • With MetLife Rapid Term, applicants will never be asked to complete an in-person medical exam or submit fluids, like blood or urine, ever; the application just asks a handful of health questions, which can be completed online or by phone.

Fortunately, MetLife has created a simple term life insurance product that provides up to $500,000 in coverage, without an in-person medical exam or requests for fluids, like blood and urine, ever, just a handful of health questions.

Applicants receive a yes/no decision about coverage and a quote in real-time online or by phone. MetLife Rapid Term can be a great solution for busy women to get life insurance they can depend on. For more information on the full terms, conditions, and limitations about the MetLife Rapid Term product, I encourage you to look at MetLife’s MetLife Rapid Term website.

Ladies, let’s all get on board with protecting our families and what we have built in our businesses!

Self-Employed Women Protect Your Loved Ones

Learn more about MetLife and protect yourself and your loved ones.

Don’t miss out on valuable insight like this.

[1] 2017 LIMRA Insurance Barometer Study

L0717496764[exp0718][All States]

1. robin rue
    July 24, 2017 / 10:14 am

One of my best qualities is that I am super organized. I think that really helps me stay on top of things while I am working at home.

• July 24, 2017 / 7:26 pm

It sure was because I learned it all the hard way too lol. Thank you for the compliments on the post.

2. July 24, 2017 / 10:36 am

I am definitely learning to set boundaries for myself. I am also learning to say no to the unimportant things and yes to the best things.

3. July 24, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I love this post, being self employed could definitely be a very lonely place. I’ve found however I am always chatting to friends in the same boat on Facebook which really makes a difference.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Review: Love Me Beauty JulyMy Profile

• July 24, 2017 / 7:22 pm

So good to hear that you do things that keep you “out there” and engaged with others Sarah!

4. July 24, 2017 / 3:38 pm

Insurance plays such a key factor in todays life style. Great that Met Life has policy for those who work and own their own business. Great points you gave to all of us.
    candy recently posted…Blueberry/Raspberry Swirl BarsMy Profile

• July 24, 2017 / 7:21 pm

It sure does Candy! I am thrilled to see an insurance company doing this!

5. July 24, 2017 / 8:01 pm

These are great tips. While it’s great to be able to work from home, there are definitely a lot of things to take into account. I need to be better about time management! And life insurance is so important!
    Marysa recently posted…Back-to-School with Great Styles From Crazy 8!My Profile

• July 25, 2017 / 12:02 am

There sure are things to consider when working from home Marysa. You are so correct! Time management is an issue for me as well. Anyone who works for themselves, owns their own business, works from home etc needs to check out MetLife for sure.

• July 25, 2017 / 12:01 am

So glad that you did! It is truly something we all need to look into when we work from home or anytime!

6. Ruth I.
    July 25, 2017 / 1:06 am

My sister and I work from home and take care of her daughter. I agree with all of this especially in getting life insurance. I am considering it already and now convinced that I really have to get one.

• July 25, 2017 / 7:18 pm

That is wonderful you two work as a team to be with her daughter! Yes we all need life insurance to protect our loved ones. I am glad you are going to get it!

7. July 25, 2017 / 6:15 am

These are great tips for those of us who work at home. Setting boundaries is something I still struggle with to this day. I can work at any time of the day.

• July 25, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Same here Jenn. We need to do better at it but it is also nice to be able to help family and friends. As long as that is not abused.

• July 25, 2017 / 7:16 pm

Thank you! Yes I think a lot of people are not aware that affordable life insurance is available these days for those who work from home or are otherwise self employed. I am so glad that it is!

• July 25, 2017 / 6:59 pm

LOL exactly Melissa! Working from home has its rewards and challenges for sure. Thanks for reading and commenting!

8. July 25, 2017 / 8:21 am

Such great tips! I have a career job as well as my blog, and can definitely relate everything you said. I too work from home and have to set clear boundaries for myself. If not, I never shut it off, because truly there’s always something that needs to be done. Also, I set a timer and take a break at least once an hour. Or I look up and realize I’ve been sitting for far too long! x

• July 25, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Haha yes!! Always something we NEED to get done or just can’t get off our minds! I love your advice of setting a break timer! Thank you! Working from home is like being in a casino LOL time gets away from us!

9. Kathy
    July 25, 2017 / 10:19 am

This is a great post! I’m self employed and so is my husband. I think it’s great for the both of us. We get to do what we love and I personally get to stay home with the kids.

• July 25, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Isn’t it wonderful! Sometimes challenging but so worth it! I am so glad MetLife offers affordable life insurance for those of is working from home and self employed out of the home.

10. July 25, 2017 / 11:56 am

I worked full-time at home for a marketing communications agency for 22 years. The biggest problem I had was people not respecting my work time. They automatically think that just because you’re home you’re available.
    Cherri Megasko recently posted…Frogs Eat Bugs and Make Great NeighborsMy Profile

• July 25, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Exactly ! It becomes frustrating. I am glad my family finally gets it. I am also glad we can get life insurance now without hassle from MetLife! I remember when there was no viable option for that!

11. July 25, 2017 / 1:07 pm

These are excellent tips and suggestions. I know that I try to keep a set schedule. With my health issues, I am more of a night owl and mornings are difficult for me. I know my body so I tend to go with what works even though it is out of the norm.
    uprunforlife recently posted…Help Manage Your Blood Sugar With These 10 FoodsMy Profile

• July 25, 2017 / 6:49 pm

I am the same as you are. Health issues also keep me up at night thus I sleep later in the day. Truth be told I have always been a night owl though. We have to do what works for us. Working from home and being our own boss does help! Glad there is life insurance for those of us who do and have health issues!

12. July 25, 2017 / 1:48 pm

These are some great tips to keep in mind, that’s for sure. Taking breaks is always important so you don’t go nuts.
    Amber Myers recently posted…Hey, It’s OkayMy Profile

• July 25, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Absolutely LOL I have to get out of the house often and just drive or go to a garden shop to get away from it all!

13. Jillian Spellman
    July 25, 2017 / 3:09 pm

Being organized is so important! I never thought about life insurance. This is something I need to look into soon.

• July 25, 2017 / 6:47 pm

Yes we all need to protect ourselves and our families. I am so glad MetLife offers Life Insurance for those of us work work for ourselves.

14. Yeu Doi
    July 25, 2017 / 4:58 pm

You made some great points. It is hard to do everything perfectly, and setting boundaries is not easy either. 🙂

• July 25, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Right! It is hard to set boundaries indeed. We WANT to be there for the family but we have work to do as well.

15. Adaleta
    July 25, 2017 / 7:33 pm

You have hit all the big points!! Amazing post!

• July 25, 2017 / 10:52 pm

So happy to help with the tips Karissa! Yes we all can learn from each other.

16. July 26, 2017 / 6:10 am

You’ve shared some really great tips. Being organized and taking breaks are on the top of my list – they both help reduce stress, for sure.
    Lynndee recently posted…A Well-Deserved Month-Long VacationMy Profile

17. Jennifer G
    July 26, 2017 / 11:33 am

These are some amazing tips! It is so important to be organized and take breaks. Being self employed is amazing, but it does have some downfalls for sure, making sure all your bases are covered is SO important.

• July 26, 2017 / 2:47 pm

Indeed Jennifer and thank you for reading my article. I am so glad it is helping so many.

18. July 27, 2017 / 10:30 am

I couldn’t stop saying, “Yes, yes, yes” to everything on your list. My biggest issue seems to be setting boundaries – I really have to work on that.

• July 27, 2017 / 2:58 pm

I think that is probably the hardest for all of us. Thanks for reading it Amber!

• July 31, 2017 / 11:26 am

Haha exactly!!! Setting firm boundaries is a must. I have sometimes invited those who think I do nothing to come shadow me for a day. They never want to but it proves a point.

19. July 29, 2017 / 10:41 pm

I feel like I have all of these down other than being organized. I am organized but not to my standards in general.
    Wildish Jess recently posted…Finding Love In an AppMy Profile

• July 31, 2017 / 11:27 am

As long as your form of organization is working for you that is all that matters.

• July 31, 2017 / 11:30 am

Hahah Tracy thank you for the laugh. Hey if that works for you then go for it!