The 5 Factors Of Quitting: When It Is Healthier To Just Let go

Most of us were raised to never give up.

Quitting a job, or ending a marriage were frowned upon.

We were taught to work hard, keep at it, and do our best at all times.

Sometimes, however, quitting is exactly what we need to do!

The key is knowing when it is the right thing to do.

Sometimes, quitting is better for our health and our wellbeing!

Quitting: When It Is Healthier To Just Let Go

Quitting is not always a bad thing.

Sometimes quitting is just the thing we need to be happy and healthy again!

Everyone’s situation and circumstances are different.

This article may prompt you to quit something you should stick with.

That is not my intention!

There are however some key factors you can look at to determine what you should do.

Regardless of whether is is a job, a marriage, a friendship, or something else these factors all hold true.

Factor 1:

The situation causes health issues.

Factor 2:

The situation causes emotional issues.

Factor 3:

The situation is devaluing or diminishing to you personally.

Factor 4:

The situation takes away valuable time from more productive projects, personal time, family, or friends.

Factor 5:

This is the most important factor!

The situation poses a danger to you, your loved ones, and quality of life.

The above factors are generalized and need to be considered seriously.

Do not simplify them and apply them to every life situation or you may end up quitting everything you are involved in.

Clearly doing something as basic as playing a game of catch with your kid could potentially be hazardous!

One could easily claim Factor 1 to almost anything if enough fuzzy logic is used.

These factors are not here for you to apply at whim.

They are here to be considered carefully before making a decision to give something up.

The 5 Factors Of Quitting

Let’s take a look at a case file from my work as a life coach for a better idea of when it is positive to let go:

Names and some details have been changed to protect identities.

Kate has been a client of mine for three years.

I was her life coach when she first entered a mentoring program for her business.

She started out as a newbie, knowing very little about her new business.

Her mentor was wonderful, they were productive, and Kate came a long way in her business.

After two years Kate began to feel her mentor was starting to become jealous of her success.

At first, Kate thought she was being paranoid as her success also was the success of her mentor!

Kate’s mentor would often give her backhanded compliments.

Sometimes she would make derogatory comments about choices Kate was making. The mentor became very controlling.

I worked with Kate on how her mentor was making her feel.

The end result was whether Kate was being paranoid, or if her mentor truly was jealous of her success.

Kate said she was feeling diminished!

At the end of the day, it did not matter what the intentions of her mentor were.

Now it is important that you understand, Kate did try to communicate her feelings to her mentor.

Communication is always key in anything and everything!

After several attempts of failed communication, as working things out is a 2-way street, Kate was ready to throw in the towel.

Kate now knew she had done everything within her control to rectify the situation.

She also no longer felt she was being paranoid!

Once Kate realized her feelings were valid, and that she did not need anyone to validate her feelings outside of self-validation, she was able to look at the situation more clearly.

Kate was then able to address the issue at hand directly with her mentor.

Once Kate realized her mentor was not going to be an equal participant in conflict resolution, Kate knew it was time to move on from her mentor.

In this case scenario, Kate QUIT!

Since quitting her mentoring program, Kate’s business has shot through the roof.

Yes, she did learn some very good techniques from her mentor.

Indeed her business had improved for the first two years with her mentor.

That last year, however, Kate had seen a slump in her own productivity.

Working with her mentor was taking more time and energy than the business itself.

When you see that situations, relationships, your job, or even a hobby have become more work to maintain than the value you get out of them, it is time to take a good hard look at it.

Never just simply walk away!

The exception to this is if there is actual abuse going on!

Start with communication, or at least the attempt to communicate your concerns to the other party, when there is one.

Apply ONE RULE to your life: Everything Should Be VALUE ADDED!

This means that the situation you are in adds value to your life or the life of those you love.

We should never waste time on things that we do not enjoy, do not put food on our tables, or are not helping others.

What we do in life should give us a positive feeling in some way.

Quitting: Apply ONE RULE to your life- Everything Should Be VALUE ADDED!

If you are facing a situation in your life where you struggle with whether to hang in there or give up please use these 5 Factors.

Use communication when possible and consider the Value Added Rule.

I hope that the 5 Factors and Kate’s situation have helped bring some clarity to you.

Granted Kate’s situation is her own, and your situation may be far different than hers.

The thing about quitting, however, is when you are feeling a need to give up on something the 5 Factors generally work for all things.

I also like to note that many of us deal with mental, emotional, and health issues that may clutter our thinking.

These conditions may cause us to see situations in a way that is far different from the reality of things.

If you suffer from a disease, health concern, mental or emotional illness please speak with your doctor, therapist, or other caretakers before making major life changes or choices!

If you enjoyed this article please subscribe as I often write about empowerment, health, wellbeing, awareness, and enlightenment.

Please leave me a comment, I love hearing from you!

Please Share

1. June 19, 2017 / 12:14 pm

Wasn’t raised to be a quitter and just walk away. I do understand your view point after reading your post. Health is always an issue mental or physical.
    candy recently posted…Spinach Facts/RecipeMy Profile

• June 19, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Thank you Candy. I agree many of us have been taught to just hang in there but if your health or wellness is at risk it is better in the long run to find a better situation for yourself. Thanks for reading my article!

• June 19, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Oh I tell you what my husband had to quit Mountain Dew many years ago. It was not easy but after he dropped so much weight and felt SO much better. Keep trying Amy!

• June 19, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Exactly. Making an effort with communication helps but sometimes we have to remove ourselves from toxic situations.

2. Claudia Krusch
    June 19, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Sometimes it is just the best thing to do. Quitting is never easy for me but I am usually happier in the end.

3. June 19, 2017 / 8:17 pm

It can be hard to make choices like this. I am definitely at a point in my life where I don’t put up with things that aren’t good for me or my family. It can be difficult, but very worth it.
    Marysa recently posted…Chickpea SaladMy Profile

• June 19, 2017 / 8:40 pm

It is worth it and I do agree it is something that sometime comes with getting older and knowing ourselves better, and being braver.

4. June 19, 2017 / 9:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE this post. Seriously. I agree with you… I have had to quit people in my life, because of factors 2-5! People told me it wasn’t ok to just give up, and I caught a lot of flack for it, but stuck to my guns. It’s BECAUSE I quit those people and situations that I was able to move on and become a better, happier person. Kate’s situation really made me feel better about my own choices, so thank you for sharing!

• June 19, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Thank you Jeni! I am so glad you were able to cut toxic people and situations from your life even against other’s opinions. Only WE know how things make us feel inside. It’s never easy that is for sure but it’s sometimes necessary.

5. June 20, 2017 / 4:14 am

Sometimes jealousy can get in a way of a good intention. I agree with you, letting go or quitting is a healthy decision sometimes.
    chubskulit recently posted…#Birthday: 44 and Lovin ItMy Profile

• June 20, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Thank you so much – I really appreciate that you read it and commented.

6. June 20, 2017 / 6:18 am

I like the term letting go over quitting. Quitting to me just seems like you are giving up and do not want to try, whereas letting go is that you have dont all you cant and tried to keep positive but its not working and its unhealthy at this point so to release is actually a better option.

• June 20, 2017 / 7:17 pm

I love the way you look at it Kiwi and it is so true – it’s not quitting when you gave it your best but the other person can’t or won’t.

7. June 20, 2017 / 7:31 am

There really are times when you know that you just have to quit because it’s affecting your life greatly. These are all valid reasons and quitting doesn’t mean you’re giving up, it’s important that we also learn how to differentiate what’s toxic to our lives so we can drop it.

8. June 20, 2017 / 7:47 am

I’m so happy to read this. I put a lot of my value in how I feel other people see me. When I feel my best is when I’ve been told someone is proud of me or admires me. But when I haven’t heard it in awhile, my view of myself becomes negative. I have to stop doing that. I have to see value in myself when others don’t express it. Thank you for writing this! It has helped me this morning!

• June 20, 2017 / 7:16 pm

Absolutely Heather what you have said is so true! We must find our own self worth. I am so happy this has helped you – you ARE amazing!!

9. June 20, 2017 / 7:51 am

I also want to add that I’m thankful my husband knew when to quite. He quit a toxic job with a toxic boss and we moved 500 miles away so he could reset with a simpler job in his same field. He really really needed that. I haven’t taken this move well. I miss my friends and family back home, but without his realization after almost a year that there was nothing he could do to please his boss, he knew the direction he had to go even if I didn’t like being uprooted from friends and family. Its been really hard, but his “quitting” really was the best thing for his health.
    Heather recently posted…Litom LED Outdoor Motion Sensor Solar Light + $10 Amazon Gift Card Father’s Day Giveaway! $250 TRV!My Profile

• June 20, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Heather – I am so glad he did this and I love the way you put it “reset”!! That is awesome and I am sure it is so hard to be away from family and friends. Bless your hearts! I am wishing you both all the best and I am sure you will find your tribe there locally too. XOX

10. Karlyn Cruz
    June 20, 2017 / 9:06 am

I know that letting go is really hard, but it will be easier if you let it go especially in a toxic or bad relationship.

• June 20, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Exactly Karlyn. I never want someone to feel they have to stay in a situation like that!

11. Victoria Heckstall
    June 20, 2017 / 9:07 am

I agree that letting go or quitting are the best way to do especially if a thing not fits to you.

• June 20, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Indeed Victoria – it’s not always easy but it’s more often than not a necessary thing.

• June 20, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Exactly Natalie and I am with you 100% even the horrible things (at the time) happen for a reason.

12. June 20, 2017 / 7:31 pm

OK I love this. Love all of the points here. I am going through a transition right now where I need to decide to let go or power through (work related)

• June 20, 2017 / 7:34 pm

I truly do hope that it helps you Mary! Do what is best FOR YOU please. We have to put our own oxygen mask on first before helping others. XOX

• June 21, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Thank you so much HilLesha and that’s right – not quitting – just moving on and moving UP in life!

13. June 21, 2017 / 1:44 pm

I quit my marriage and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. It saved my life and gave me a new outlook on life. I believe that sometimes things come to an end and that doesn’t mean you quit them, it just meant it was time to let them go.
    Mimi Green recently posted…Power Season 4 Is All About Karma, Time To Anti Up!My Profile

• June 21, 2017 / 6:31 pm

I am so glad you saved yourself from that Mimi! You are so right- it’s not quitting – but taking a huge step forward!

14. Gabriel Bregg
    June 21, 2017 / 3:16 pm

My Dad used to talk about addition by subtraction a lot. This is exactly what he meant.

• June 21, 2017 / 6:28 pm

Brilliant man!! I think I may have heard of that before “addition by subtraction” it makes perfect sense! It’s the whole less is more thing!

• June 21, 2017 / 6:39 pm

Thank you so much Angela! I really appreciate your sharing this post. I feel it can truly help others.

15. June 22, 2017 / 3:19 pm

I’ve only quit a job twice – once it was because I was focusing on graduating, and the other time was because I was moving to Canada. Both times, I was lucky that I wasn’t quitting because I was uncomfortable working there. It’s tough, but it’s necessary sometimes!

• June 22, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Yeah it’s tough even when you have strong reasons like those! I am so glad you had such great opportunities.

16. August 8, 2017 / 8:12 am

This was a great read! Sometimes you have to do what’s best for you, and sometimes that means walking away from certain situations.

• August 8, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Thank you so much Jasmine. Indeed – we must look out for ourselves and be empowered to know when we just have to shut the door.