Protecting Pets From Predators

We live in a rural area and have a lot of wildlife around us.

Coyotes, hawks, fox, even owls can be harmful to your small pets.

Protecting Small Pets from Predators

Keep Pets Inside To Protect From Predators:

The best way to protect your pets is by keeping them indoors. Of course, pets need to get outside if for nothing else fresh air and to potty but inside pets are always the safest.

Always go outside with your pets and stay close.

When it is time to go out, keep them close. If not on a leash be sure they have a fenced area and places they can hide for safety.

Be attentive.

Be aware when you are outside with your pets. It only takes a split second for something to happen. They are your furkids, protect them as if they were toddlers.

Join Nextdoor.com to communicate with neighbors and stay informed

More and more communities are connecting on Nextdoor.com This is a wonderful way to stay in communication on wildlife spotting.

Never declaw cats especially if they go outside.

I am against declawing cats as a whole. However, if you ever let your kitties outside, they need their claws!

Cats are fast and can dart out the door in a heartbeat.

Letting them keep their claws is important but if you do have a declawed cat, keep them on a leash when you let them out to be sure they do not wander off.

It’s for their own safety.

Coyotes, hawks, fox, even owls can be harmful to your small pets. In this article, you will learn some easy ways to protect your small pets from predators.

More Ways To Protect Your Pets From Predators:

Keep brush piles clear and far away from your home or yard to stave away predators.

Predators love to use brush piles, wood piles, and piles of leaves to hide and stalk their prey. Keeping your yard free of them will help increase the safety of your pets.

Wind Spinners

Wind Spinners are not only pretty but can keep some predatory pets away! The bigger, and shinier the better like this one. Wind Spinners are good for scaring away birds of prey and could deter other predators as well.

Keep vaccinations up to date in case a predator attacks.

While it won’t keep predators away having your pet’s vaccinations up to date is not only the responsible thing to do but will protect your pet from disease if they do get attacked.

Do not leave pet food outside.

Predators are looking for a food source. Your pet’s make a great one but predators could also be drawn in by the smell of pet food. Bring pet food inside at night, especially if you have outside pets.

Motion activated sprinklers and lights.

These are two great ways to scare off a predator who has come onto your turf! Lights scare away some predators who like to lurk in the darkness while sprinklers have been known to dissuade many animals that could harm your pets.

6-foot high fencing

While this may not be the best or most attractive solution, it is effective, especially from coyotes, cougars, and other ground-dwelling predators.

Overall the best thing we can do for our pets is to keep a close eye on them.

I personally never let my sweet Lyla out of my sight.

As an animal lover, I have listed ways to keep predators at bay without harming them.

Wild animals have a right to their land which we have widely taken over as humans.

If you live in the country as I do, we have to accept wild animals are a way of life.

Those of us who live in the country deal with predators more often than those living in the city. However, even city dwellers will come across animals who could harm your pets.

Raccoon, Hawks, and other wildlife are everywhere.

I hope that my list has given you some inspiration. Please, if you know other ways to protect our pets from predators share it with us in the comments.

Don’t miss out – Sign up for the newsletter below.

1. May 24, 2017 / 11:45 am

Important post! More and more cities are getting coyotes or foxes coming in since humans have been encroaching on their territory. Absolutely make sure the pets are safe! And while skunks may not be looking at your pet for lunch, they are rabies carriers. Colorado has very recently seen some dogs die from this, so be sure to get your pets vaccinated, even if you feel certain they won’t come into contact with wild animals.

• May 24, 2017 / 12:21 pm

Exactly! You made so many great points Amy! Yes we have encroached on the territory of wildlife so they have no choice but to come out. I also agree, that even skunks can be a danger! Vaccination is key.

2. May 24, 2017 / 11:49 am

This is such an important issue for us in Texas (and many places). Coyotes come right up on the patio, bobcats roam around, owls and hawks haunt the sky, and so my cats stay inside. Even Magic (and he’s BIG) only goes out when we’re with him.

• May 24, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Exactly! We are in Kansas and have a lot of wildlife where we live as well. I am glad your babies stay inside where they are safe.

3. May 24, 2017 / 12:50 pm

My biggest fear is coyotes. We have them in the area. I always monitor the dogs when they are in the yard.

• May 24, 2017 / 5:47 pm

Oh yes! We hear them yapping from about a mile away every night. I always am so nervous at night outside with Lyla when she has her last outing of the evening.

• May 24, 2017 / 5:47 pm

That is so good to hear that you stay close to them Kelly because even in the burbs pets can have predators. Plus watching out for motorists is another hazard.

• May 24, 2017 / 5:46 pm

Indeed and I am so thankful you keep your kitties inside where they are SAFE.

• May 24, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Oh yes another great tip THANK YOU! My neighbor lady has one up on her fence that boarders our yard as she too has small dogs. I didn’t even think of that one. Appreciate the addition! Thank you!

• May 24, 2017 / 5:44 pm

I do love NextDoor! A great way to stay in touch with everyone about important things. I have got so many pets back to their owners on that site!
      Wow I have not heard of rattlesnake training! Thank you for that tip!! I will look into that more.

4. Jennifer Van Huss
    May 24, 2017 / 2:30 pm

This is a great post! People don’t like to think about it but it does happen. My friend lost her cat to a hawk. She watched her cat stalk a prey and be picked up right in front of her! Nothing she could do about it!

• May 24, 2017 / 5:40 pm

OMG I would have simply died if that happened to one of my pets. Poor kitty and your poor friend! Terrifying! Thank you so much for complimenting the article. That means a lot to me.

5. May 24, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Some really great ideas! My house backs up to woods and an active deer trail. We have a four foot fence with chicken wire and cut the weeds/ bushes back several feet. It seems to keep the coyotes and foxes at bay. Not that I worry about my dogs, but I do have small dogs in the neighborhood. When Gonzo was a puppy, a Golden Eagle circled us while we were walking and got too close for comfort before I scared it away.

• May 24, 2017 / 5:38 pm

That sounds like GREAT protection from the wildlife! I am glad you kept little Gonzo safe although it would also be cool to see a Golden Eagle!

6. Claudia Krusch
    May 24, 2017 / 6:26 pm

This is such great information. My friend lives in a rural area and is worried about her little Chihuahua. I will have to share this with her.

• May 24, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Thank you so much Claudia for sharing the post with her. We have to look out for our furry little ones.

• May 24, 2017 / 7:14 pm

Indeed I know you are very careful with that sweet Mr. N! Having a larger dog around is a great idea too!

7. May 24, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Great advice here! We don’t live in a rural area, and even still we have predatory concerns. There have been coyote sightings nearby, and we have hawks and things that like to eye my little white jack russell. I am always sure to supervise her when I let her outside.

• May 25, 2017 / 11:13 am

Awee Jack Russells are so cute! Our Brandy was part Jack Russeell. Yes indeed those hawks are scary and of course coyotes worry me a lot! Thank you so much for reading my tips.

8. May 24, 2017 / 8:08 pm

These are great tips to keep your fur babies safe. Many are common sense to me however I never heard of Nextdoor.com and wind spinners as a deterrent. Who knew? These are two tips I never would have thought of. Nice post.

• May 25, 2017 / 11:11 am

You are a great pet parent! We have to keep our eyes on them no matter where we live. I appreciate you checking out my article – thank you.

9. Victoria Heckstall
    May 25, 2017 / 12:27 am

I don’t have any pets but when I have, I will apply all of these inspirational tips!

• May 25, 2017 / 11:10 am

So happy to help with the information Victoria. When you do get a pet you will be a great furmama!

10. Karlyn Cruz
    May 25, 2017 / 1:34 am

It such a great post to know. I always think about the safeness of my pets. I am glad to know this.

11. May 25, 2017 / 3:29 am

They are like our kids after all, so it’s good to pay attention and make sure that we’re doing the best we can to protect them. My Riley is a small breed and it’s important that I keep my eye on him especially when we’re outdoors.
    Carol Cassara recently posted…My aching back!My Profile

• May 25, 2017 / 11:09 am

Thank you Carol it means a lot to me that you enjoyed the article. Riley is a lucky dog to have you as his mama!

12. May 25, 2017 / 10:03 am

Great tips! I’m going to have to share this because this is very good info for small dog owners and sometimes we may tend to forget these things. Awesome reminder 🙂

• May 25, 2017 / 11:08 am

Thank you Kia. I am a list person – if it’s not on a list of some kind I forget things lol. That is one reason I love blog posts – exactly as you said – REMINDERS! Thanks for checking it out/

13. May 26, 2017 / 1:25 am

My biggest fear for my small dog is a hawk coming to snatch her up from my yard! Apparently that happens where I’m from! Yikes!
    ricci recently posted…30 Day Clarisonic ChallengeMy Profile

• May 27, 2017 / 5:27 pm

Indeed! It happens so quickly too. I would simply die if that happened to my Lyla.

14. May 26, 2017 / 4:37 am

The reminder about never ‘de-clawing’ an outdoor animal is so important, it is a mistake I have seen so many of my friends make. It makes me want to yell “I TOLD YOU SO!” but unfortunately so many people are learning this lesson the hard way after their animal gets hurt and had no means to defend itself.
    Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly recently posted…When your outfit inadvertently matches the art exhibit! #ChihulyNYBG + winner of our @NYBG #CHIHULYNIGHTS Giveaway Announced!My Profile

15. May 26, 2017 / 7:04 am

If I had a little dog, there is no way they would go outside with me. I have a 100+ lb Rottweiler though, and I feel pretty safe letting her outside on her own. I do keep brush piles away so that no snakes can get to her.
    Michelle Waller recently posted…Totally Winging This Mom ThingMy Profile

• May 27, 2017 / 5:25 pm

Haha I would feel safer with a 100 pound dog too! They have a much better chances against wildlife. Thanks for being a great pet parent!

16. May 26, 2017 / 7:41 am

We live in a city, but we have a lot of wildlife around us too – coyotes, hawks, fox and even bears. So even though we don’t have pets, we make sure not to leave food outside because of the bears.

• May 27, 2017 / 5:24 pm

That is great that you are aware and on the watch! Yes wildlife DOES come into the city and a lot of people are not aware of that.

17. Gabriel
    May 27, 2017 / 7:00 am

Never really thought of leaving the cat’s food outside as a problem. We’ve got a yard/barn cat that i keep a dish for outside, I may rethink that.

• May 27, 2017 / 4:41 pm

Indeed – I totally get keeping a full bowl out there for kitty – but could be a lure of danger. I would feed kitty, then bring the bowl in when he or she is done. Thanks for reading the post!

• May 27, 2017 / 11:25 pm

Thank you Mimi for taking notice and checking out the safety for other people’s pets. That is VERY kind of you.

18. May 28, 2017 / 6:42 pm

We have lots of coyotes around here. They have gotten a couple of my cats. 🙁

• May 29, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Awee I am SO sorry Jenny! I hope the article helped a little for the future .

19. May 29, 2017 / 4:31 am

This sounds scary! Luckily we live in the suburb and nothing of this sort happens but I’ve heard of stories where birds tried to take the puppies away.

• May 29, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Indeed sadly with the way we humans are taking up so much of nature the wild animals are coming into the suburbs too. Be aware please xox