Happy Birthday To My Grandpa and Me

May 28th is my birthday but it was also my Grandfather’s birthday too.

Sharing a birthday with your grandfather is a special thing. Especially since he loved ice cream so much!

My mother and I lived in an apartment that was within my grandparents large two story home for most of my early years.

He was quite a handsome man and taught me so many things.

My Handsome Grandpa Happy Birthday!

Since my father was not in my life until I was eight, grandpa was a father to me.

I will be turning forty-eight, my grandfather would have been ninety-seven.

He passed at an early age in my book, only seventy-nine years.

I always remember him of course, but on our shared birthday I like to celebrate what a wonderful grandfather he was to me.

My grandfather was named James but everyone called him Jim.

To him the perfect birthday would have been eating a sandwich, having an ice cream cone, and tossing the ball back and forth.

It was he who taught me how to play ball, and how to pitch wind up.

I was an excellent pitcher too thanks to him!

He was a soldier in WW2, loved cars, and sports.

In Honor of My Grandfather on our shared birthday

We used to set on the front porch for hours watching the cars go by.

He taught me how to identify cars by the sound of the engines.

We would play a game guessing what car was coming up next based on the sound.

He also taught me how to identify the year of the cars by body style.

To this day I have an affinity for old cars.

Sharing a birthday with my Grandfather

My grandfather was of Swedish descent and was married to my grandmother of Irish descent for fifty-two years until he passed.

Such a beautiful couple they made.

I spent so many hours of my childhood tossing the ball with him. He went to all of my softball games.

Right up until his passing he did his daily exercises and rode his bike around the neighborhood.

He also kept in touch with friends.

People really loved him.

He was just a really good guy.

My grandfather was a humble man, and he lived a humble life.

He worked hard every day, rarely missing a day in his life.

My grandfather was a janitor at a local high school for as long as I can remember.

Decades he worked cleaning up after high school kids. I can only imagine!

Even the kids liked him.

Happy Birthday, Grandpa! It was an honor and privilege to share such a special day with you.

Don’t miss out on more great content, sign up for the newsletter below…

1. May 26, 2017 / 12:33 pm

I’ve always loved to see pictures of older people from back in the day. It’s amazing to see how much a person changes as they age.
    Bill Sweeney recently posted…21 Strawberry Dessert RecipesMy Profile

2. Marcie W.
    May 26, 2017 / 4:59 pm

Your grandfather sounds like such an amazing man and he was handsome indeed. I love that the two of you share a birthday. That is such a special way to share his legacy.

3. Claudia Krusch
    May 26, 2017 / 6:58 pm

I think it is fantastic to share a birthday with a loved one. These are great photos. I hope you have an amazing birthday.

4. Victoria Heckstall
    May 26, 2017 / 11:48 pm

A wonderful post! It is really nice to post about family especially about our grandfathers and grandmothers story. I like it. Happy Birthday to your Grandfather and to you also. Wishing you all the best. 🙂

5. rika
    May 27, 2017 / 2:17 am

What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday to your GrandFather! You’re right, He was a handsome guy!

6. May 28, 2017 / 4:21 am

This is such a sweet post. I’m sure you both ate a lot of ice cream together! I think it’s really nice that you’re dedicating this post to him, he sounds like an amazing father figure and grandfather to you.
    Carol Cassara recently posted…The healing power of expressing your emotionsMy Profile

• May 28, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I am so happy it brought back memories for you too. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes.

7. May 28, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Happy birthday to you and your grandpa. My grandparents were a huge part of my life. He taught me so many things and he wasn’t scared to let me drive before I turned 16. He passed away the day I was in court sorting out my divorce crap. My grandmothers time was cut way too short. 🙁
    uprunforlife recently posted…Best Treatment Options For Cystic AcneMy Profile

• May 28, 2017 / 2:50 pm

I am so happy you had a great relationship with your grandparents too. Not everyone gets a chance to have one. I am so sorry for the timing of his passing though. I know you really could have used his council. I am also sorry that your grandmother’s time was cut short. Mine was the opposite. My grandfather passed long before my grandmother. Thank you for the birthday wishes XOX

8. Michelle Waller
    May 30, 2017 / 6:26 am

I love seeing pictures from his generation. They look so cool. Happy birthday Grandpa (and you).

9. Jennifer G
    May 30, 2017 / 8:35 am

Aww what a sweet post. Happy Birthday to you and your Grandpa! Love seeing the pictures.

10. May 30, 2017 / 9:04 am

What a special post! I adored the read and Happy Belated to you both!