Happiness Is … A Tiny Garden and New Tree Species

I used to have the most magnificent garden but lately, my husband and I have been so busy with other projects.

We did not think we would have time for a full-scale garden this year.

Also, the Kansas weather has been, to say the least, odd.

Alas, we finally managed between other projects, and the strange weather to get a mini garden planted.

Happiness Is Tiny Garden

Our tiny garden consists of two golden cherry tomato plants, one basil plant, one rosemary plant, and one spearmint plant.

It’s not much but it’s all we really need for our own use.

I just love nature, and I love getting my hands in the dirt!

The feeling of planting alone made me so happy.

I also know how happy I will be when I go out to harvest our own herbs and veggies!

The price of one tomato plant alone is equivalent to what we would spend on one shopping trip to buy tomatoes!

I love saving money.

Our Tiny Garden

As my husband and I were planting I noticed something from a distance.

A new tree species in our yard, or is it a bush?

Out from the brush and trees at the back of our yard came a new species of tree or bush!

Not new entirely obviously but new to our yard.

I am so excited to have another flowering tree growing. I honestly do not know what it is. Perhaps it is a tree, or maybe it is a bush.

If any of you know what it is please let me know in the comments.

I would love to know how to prune it and care of it so that it continues to grow healthy.

Happiness Is New Tree Up Close

It’s so lovely! The flowers remind me a little of a bleeding heart.

Please Help Me Identify This

Isn’t it just beautiful!

It’s things like this that bring me so much joy in life.

Those unexpected surprises that brighten my day.

It's the little things that matter

One last image to share with you …

If you look at the right side you will see where the new tree or plant is growing.

Also if you look behind and toward the left of my husband (who did not expect for me to snap a photo right then) you will see a another project.

More on that in a blog post to come in the future.

We have been busy bees!

So for today, my tiny garden and finding this new tree (or bush) has made me so joyfully happy.

What brings you happiness?

I would absolutely love to hear about your joys in the comments. Tell me something that has made you happy lately.

1. May 15, 2017 / 2:20 pm

I’m not sure what it is but it’s gorgeous. And I love that it’s making you so happy! It would make me happy too.
    I wrote about gardening today! It’s more my husband’s thing, but I do take pride in showing it to people.
    Tamara recently posted…Creative Gardening: How to Make a Vertical Pallet GardenMy Profile

2. May 15, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I am by no means an expert in plants, but that looks like a species of weigela. I cannot say for certain, but the leaves and blooms look similar to a weigela anyway. I hope that helps.

• May 15, 2017 / 6:11 pm

Thank you so much! I will do a little research on that! Appreciate the help Dawn!

• May 16, 2017 / 2:21 am

I know right? LOL I have no idea either – I guess I will wait and see if it grows like a tree. We have a nice sized yard – I am blessed to have nature around me.

3. Victoria Heckstall
    May 16, 2017 / 8:56 am

My mom’s happiness too! Planting or gardening is her habit and she really loves it. My mom will surely love to see this.

• May 16, 2017 / 1:37 pm

That is so wonderful Victoria! It makes ME happy when others are happy! I am so glad your mother will enjoy this article. Thank you!

• May 16, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Awee what a lovely memory! Thank you for sharing it! That makes me happy to hear.

4. May 16, 2017 / 12:25 pm

That is such a great hobby garden. You get some useful herbs and veggies, without having to do a lot of the hard labor required from bigger gardens. Great idea!

• May 16, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Exactly and just as much as we need. Yeah I really did not want all the work this year so we could focus on other things. Thank you!

5. Jeni Hawkins
    May 16, 2017 / 2:32 pm

I love having a garden. Just going out there is such a relaxing feeling.

6. May 16, 2017 / 5:28 pm

I love gardening!It really is a de-stressor and a great way to get the whole family involved in something. We are gardening this year and completely love it!

7. May 17, 2017 / 6:59 am

I agree, those pink flowers are beautiful, but sorry, I have no idea what they are. 🙂 My flower garden is my happiness too. And I couldn’t be more glad that gardening season is here.

• May 17, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Me too Lyndee and I do hope you have a lot of good times – relaxing and unwinding while gardening.

8. May 17, 2017 / 10:59 am

Wow! It’s so nice to have your very own garden! I wanted to have a garden too in the future and plant many vegetables and fruits that can help us be more healthy in any way! The pink flowers looks really great! Whatever that is, just name it yourselves? Ha! Thanks for sharing!
    Zwitsal recently posted…Travel Essentials from Baby CompanyMy Profile

• May 17, 2017 / 6:37 pm

Haha good idea! I will have to come up with a funny name for it! Thank you so much for coming by today and checking out my post!

• May 17, 2017 / 6:36 pm

We tried peppers last year and it flopped. I hope your garden grows beautifully and makes you happy! I forgot the marigolds this year! I hear they help keep away insects!

9. May 17, 2017 / 8:35 pm

I love that you are enjoying your garden, and have finally found time for it. I know how that feels. We have had the worst weather this year, and haven’t started planting anything yet, and now I am afraid we might be pushing it with our timing, but hopefully we will still get a chance to garden.

• May 18, 2017 / 1:35 am

I felt the same way which is why I went ahead and did it and went small. That way if I was too late and I lose it I won’t lose too much. Yes this weather has been strange to say the least.

10. August 31, 2017 / 4:01 am

Hello Joely, I feel so relaxed and peaceful with nature. I am so excited to have another flowering tree growing. I love your little garden and as well as this post. Thanks for sharing this lovely post with us.

• August 31, 2017 / 2:32 pm

So sweet of you Mike! Thank you – your comment is very soothing. Nature is amazing!