Decompress Right Now In 5 Easy Steps

Stress gets the best of us. We all deal with some level of anxiety or stress each day. For some, it is far worse than for others. What works to decompress for one person may not work for another. I feel there are never too many ideas out there. I want to share my 5 easy steps to decompressing with you.

1. Get Outside

Fresh air is good for everyone. We often do not get the fresh air we need. We also benefit from sunlight. This step is essential if you are spending the greater part of your day in an office. I am a true believer in the powers of Mother Nature. Getting in touch with our earth has healing benefits, brings forth joy, and makes us feel connected to everything around us. It is also a great way to get out of a rut, or negative feelings about co-workers, friends, or family. Often these are the things creating stress in our lives. Do something simple like filling up a bird feeder, planting a flower, or just listening to the breeze blow through the trees. This is my favorite way to decompress.

2. Stretch

Just move your body in a new way. You do not have to be into yoga or pilates. Just bend, or stretch your arms up. Moving helps our blood flow, thus our circulation. There are many benefits to exercise. Moving a little bit in a new way can wake up endorphins that help reduce stress. There is a direct mind, body connection and when one area is struggling, a little work on the other can do wonders to balance things out.

3. Do One Task

Often times stress comes from attempting one task and not making headway. Often times in my daily life I get stuck. When I get stuck, I get frustrated. Walking away from the task at hand and focusing on another can be a relief. Since I work from home my favorite task to decompress is doing the dishes. I know that sounds funny, and for some, thinking of doing the dishes could create stress. Do what makes you feel good. Feeling accomplished at something makes us feel happy. This is especially true when we have been beating our heads against another project.

Decompress in 5 Easy Steps

4. Listen to Music

This can be tricky. Some music makes me feel great. Other music can make me cry. Obviously, we have to know when to listen to which type of music! I keep a special soundtrack of music that makes me happy. I play this soundtrack when I need motivation and a sense of joy. Listening to upbeat music does it for me. Some may prefer to listen to nature sounds or heavy metal. Whatever does it for you is great! Just be sure to prepare a playlist that will do the trick to help you decompress.

5. Aromatherapy

Granted not everyone has an arsenal of essential oils at their disposal but you can find stress-reducing scents elsewhere. Did you know that the scent of lemon is uplifting? Major corporations use citrus such as lemon and orange scents in their offices to increase productivity and happiness among workers! Sandalwood is known to ease depression. You can read more about that in my recent article 5 Essential Oils You Must Have In Your Home. You may even have a favorite perfume, or maybe it is your husband’s cologne that lifts you up. Some love the scent of their dog. Whatever helps you decompress, just carry something with that scent on it with you.

No these are not end all be all cures to stress but they are simple things we can do each day. I love practical solutions to everyday problems. These tips to help you decompress are great for general daily stress. If you suffer from severe depression or anxiety these tips may help but please do not depend on them for complete healing.

How do you decompress? I would love it if you shared your ideas in the comments.

1. March 7, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I have to keep reminding myself to get off this computer and get outside for some fresh air and exercise. I work from home and it is too easy to get deeply involved with what I’m doing and in doing so I put myself at risk. As a matter of fact, as soon as I hit send on this, I’m going out to play with my pet lab Shadow.
    Richard Bivins recently posted…40 Lifestyle Blogs to Help you Learn to EarnMy Profile

• March 7, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I totally understand that! Hope you got your walk with Shadow! I force myself to do the same as I too work at home. I have my Lyla to take on walks. Glad you got out today!

2. March 7, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Very good tips for dealing with stress. Getting outside always helps me.

3. March 7, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I listen to music to de stress. I need to try aroma therapy. I am sure that will also help.

4. March 7, 2017 / 11:59 pm

Great read with even better solutions. My favorite is aromatherapy. For me holistic practices has changed my life in an amazing way.

5. Sondra Barker
    March 8, 2017 / 12:18 am

As someone who suffers from stress and anxiety, these are all great ways to help cope with it. I love being outdoors enjoying a nice hike as well as listening to music.

• March 8, 2017 / 11:39 am

Thank you Sondra. I realize the ideas are not a cure, but a coping mechanism for sure. Glad you liked it!

6. March 8, 2017 / 2:50 am

I agree and can relate to this so well. We are all so busy with so much nowadays we do not take the time to release stress which can cause anxiety. Both going outside and listening to music works wonders for me.

• March 8, 2017 / 6:47 pm

Thank you Sheri I am glad it resonated with you. Thank you for commenting too!

7. Devina Vadera
    March 8, 2017 / 9:46 am

This is such a fab list!!!!!! I love everything you included~especially the aromatherapy!

8. CourtneyLynne
    March 8, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Oooo great advice!!!! Listening to music and going outside always seem to do the trick for me! Crazy what fresh air can do for someone

• March 8, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Haha the weather has been crazy lately! Today it is lovely here. I should go for a walk right now.

9. March 8, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Yeap! Decompress! These are really easy ones to do, and big “what a success?!” results that can be received. Great post.

10. March 8, 2017 / 10:43 pm

I find that aromatherapy and being outdoors relax me the most. It’s like an instant recharge whenever I’m by water and under sunlight. (:

11. March 9, 2017 / 7:53 am

Now that the weather is picking up here in the UK, I’ll be taking advantage of it and going outside a lot more! Completely relaxing, and satisfying 🙂

12. March 9, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Great reminder! My wife has a mental illness and stress sets her off. This is a great little reminder for me to share with her on how to cope with life and stress! Thank you for the sharing!

• March 9, 2017 / 8:29 pm

My daughter has depression and anxiety I have shared with her. Just be sure to share with your wife when she is in a listening mood. You probably know that though. Wishing you and her all the best!

13. March 9, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Thanks for these amazing tips. I always suggest people to listen to songs and getting out of home. Reading books is something which works for me the best when I am stressed out. ?
    oindrila recently posted…10 Ways You SHOULD Be Using Coconut OilMy Profile

• March 9, 2017 / 11:58 pm

That is a great tip too! Thank you for sharing it. Yeah getting out of the same routine is key I think. Not allowing thoughts to overwhelm our minds.

14. Samantha
    March 10, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I so needed this today. What great tips!

• March 11, 2017 / 12:35 am

Happy it helped give you some ideas. I hope you got to relax today. It’s the weekend now YAY!