The Truth About Pee In The Pool

I spent a lot of time in the summer at my Aunt’s house as a child.

She had an in ground pool and the whole family would flock there.

Summer is here and in full swing.

I am sure you will be spending some time in your own pool, going to a family member’s home who has one or heading to the local public pool.

There is one question that many of us ponder, however …

What happens when someone pees in the pool!?

I remember my Aunt having a sign like the one below stating Welcome to Our OOL.

No that is not a misspelled word.

Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this article.

The Truth About Pee In the Pool

You can purchase this sign on Amazon.

When I was young I was also told that if I peed in a pool a big purple cloud would surround me – ratting me out!

Decades later I learned a lot about pools.

I worked at a pool and fireplace shop called Swims & Sweeps.

My son later was on swim team.

I spent a huge portion of my twenties and early thirties around swimming pools.

I want to dispel a myth:

What Happens When Someone Takes a Pee In The Pool

That colorful cloud will not appear if someone pees in the pool!

Mind Blown? Perhaps not but for those of you who thought this could potentially happen, let me explain why it won’t.

There truly is no known product on the market that can legitimately detect urine in a pool.

For one reason, there would be too many outside organic matters that would make it impossible to determine if it were actually urine or something else.

Another reason is that the chemicals used to treat pools and shock pools would remove any additive such as this.

Last reason, and most humorous one, if there truly were a pool additive to tell you when someone peed, your entire pool would change color!

Yes, there are chemicals you can use to remove urine from the pool, however, if your pool is being maintained properly a specialized chemical isn’t truly necessary.

There is even a new product on the market that will tell you when someone peed but unless there was only one person in the pool that day it won’t truly rat out the potty head. I also have no idea just how accurate this cool new tech is.

And what about the fur friends? What if they were the guilty party?

Don't Pee In My Pool

As long as the pool you are swimming in is properly shocked and maintained, there will be no issue.

So how do you know?

Who can you trust?

If you own your own pool be sure you have been properly trained on how to care for it.

If you swim at a public pool you are more often than not fairly safe.

Public pools, while riddled urinators of all ages are often checked by the Department of Health and Welfare or other entities from your local health department.

A good public pool would not risk being shut down over urine.

If you swim at your neighbors, you can ask them when the last time the pool was treated.

Pools need to be shocked after a rain, especially a heavy one if they are not covered.

The biggest concern is probably with a hotel or worse, motel pools.

If you plan to take a road trip or family vacation this summer, you might want to ask the manager of the place you are staying who takes care of their pool.

What you want to look for is that the pool has a dedicated person or staff that oversees the pool’s safety and care.

Some hotels/motels will have a sign saying when the pool was last maintenanced although this is not always trustworthy.

While it’s true that hotels/motels get inspected in some cities by the health department the likelihood of that happening can be slim. Some cities do not do this at all but even in those that do, there are so many hotels and motels out there.

If you are really concerned you can get a test kit online or at your local pool shop.

Pool chemicals greatly reduce the risk of viruses and microorganisms.

Chemicals in pools help balance alkalinity, PH, and calcium.

Pool owners generally know about Algicides they can use as well.

While swimming in a green pool may not kill you, it probably does have algae growing it in – which may be harmless or harmful.

I would never suggest you swim in a green pool.

It’s funny because I grew up in the country.

I swam in ponds, I waded in creeks, and I had a livestock “pool” in my yard.

Growing up I never worried about PH balance, algae, or any of this stuff.

I also survived!

Who's Pee is In The Pool?

The difference is when the water is not flowing. It does not have a natural filter and is used by hundreds of other people. That is when we truly need to be concerned.

Another difference is that I am now older, and wiser!

What do you think?

Are you bothered by the thought of someone peeing in a pool?

Do you swim in public pools or own a pool?

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Oh and please, sign up for my newsletter. You will get 2 FREE gifts when you do.

• July 6, 2017 / 4:11 pm

LOL!!!! Right? Me too! I believed that myth for so long! I thought it would turn purple though.

• July 6, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Yes algae can cause pools to turn green. If you see a green pool walk away or maybe run haha.

1. July 6, 2017 / 12:34 pm

We love swimming pools. There are some pools I wouldn’t step in let alone swim in because they are not maintained properly. This is great information for those who own and maintain a pool.
    candy recently posted…Pearl Barley How to Cook/RecipesMy Profile

• July 6, 2017 / 4:10 pm

Thank you Candy! Yes as long as they are maintained properly they are safe as can be but when not – it’s scary!

2. July 6, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I have SERIOUSLY WONDERED about this. The maintenance guy at my apartment complex said that he would never swim in a public pool and it had to do with the posterior’s of others! I thought that preposterous. But, did wonder about the urine riddlers!

Thank you!
    Ginae B. McDonald recently posted…USCAMEL Professional BinocularsMy Profile

3. July 6, 2017 / 2:50 pm

I was reading a news article about urine found in public pools yesterday and was completely disgusted. All the more reason to have your own pool at home.

4. shannon
    July 6, 2017 / 4:09 pm

I always wondered about the pee detection device for pools LOL. This was a very interesting read for me, especially as someone who travels a lot and love to lay poolside when I do. I will definitely be checking on hotel pool maintenance now, thanks!

• July 6, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Oh indeed if you do travel a lot be careful – you could get your own test strip kit – they are not too expensive.

5. Claudia Krusch
    July 6, 2017 / 6:19 pm

We were always told if we peed in the pool the purple cloud would happen. I did not know there were no products out there that will do it. I still hear people telling there kids the same thing.

• July 7, 2017 / 5:25 pm

I agree – as much as I know about taking care of them I would not want to have to do it!

6. July 7, 2017 / 4:17 am

My brother in law have that the same sign at their pool yard lol. Having a test kit is a smart idea, I am always concerned about pool places.

• July 7, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Wow so many people have this sign it amazes me! My aunt had it when I was a kid and that was a LONG time ago! Haha. I am shocked they still make it!

7. July 7, 2017 / 7:03 am

I’ve never tried maintaining a pool in my life, but I have always wondered about the pee. If it’s removed by the chlorine in the water or not. This definitely explains it!

• July 7, 2017 / 5:22 pm

I am so happy that this article helped! I have never owned a pool bigger than a kiddie pool haha. Too much work for me.

8. Victoria heckstall
    July 7, 2017 / 7:23 am

I and my family really loves swimming pools. I never heard about this kind of topic. I really enjoyed reading this.

• July 7, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I hope I did not scare you away from them. Most pools are fine it’s just the rare few that are this bad.

9. July 7, 2017 / 1:19 pm

These are amazing tips, however, they remind me why I didn’t buy a pool. It takes a lot of work but I know it would be worth it in the end!

• July 7, 2017 / 4:14 pm

It is a lot of effort for sure but those who came into the pool shop I worked at seemed to be happy to do the work for the fun. Personally, I can’t take on any more than I have on my plate already haha.