National Blueberry Month: Top 5 Health Benefits of Blueberries

July is National Blueberry Month!

Blueberries are my favorite superfood.

They are packed with nutrients, versatile, and delicious.

July Is National Blueberry Month

One reason I adore blueberries so much is that they are an antioxidant superfood.

The main reason blueberry makes it to my favorite fruit list is that they are so versatile.

From tossing them into cold cereal, oatmeal, or on top of pancakes, to making smoothies, blueberry rules!

Blueberries are delicious in salads, pastries, cakes, and pies.

Truly you are only limited by your imagination.

You can use blueberry in savory dishes as well such as grilled cheese sandwiches with herbs.

July Is National Blueberry Month

So just what is it that makes blueberries so wonderful?

Let’s take a look at the Top 5 Health Benefits of Blueberries:

Note: This article is not meant to replace the medical advice of your doctor. I am not a health care professional, nor an expert in medicine.

1. Memory, Focus, and Cognitive Abilities.

As a midlife woman, I am concerned with memory and cognitive abilities.

The blueberry can improve short-term memory loss and motor coordination. Blueberry can also reduce the risk of cognitive decline. Blueberries are also known to help ward off Parkinson’s disease.

Blueberry can also help with focus and concentration.

2. Vision

Studies have shown that eating blueberries can help improve your vision.

I have worn glasses my entire life. As a Type 1 Diabetic, my doctors have always been concerned with my vision. I have my vision tested, as well as additional vision tests for retinopathy done every year.

I am very aware that I need to take excellent care of my eyes.

Eating blueberries is just one more step I take in maintaining good eye health.

3. Anti-aging Properties

Blueberries have excellent anti-aging effects.

Just one cup of blueberries has the equivalent of 24% of your daily vitamin C needs.

Blueberry is excellent for fighting wrinkles due to the skin’s need for vitamin C.

Skin texture is also improved by eating blueberries.

When you consider the cost of quality skincare, eating blueberries is an affordable way to give your skin a natural boost, not to mention the yum factor!

4. Healthy Heart

Blueberry is a great way to support heart health!

Blueberries are loaded with fiber which helps to lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood. This helps to decrease your risk for heart disease.

Blueberry is also full of potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and C.

This is yet another health hazard we all need to be concerned about, but even more so as midlifers.

5. Blueberry aids in digestion.

Why would I select digestion as one of the top 5 ways blueberry is healthy when there are so many other wonderful advantages to eating them?

Digestion is the key to a healthy overall way of life!

Having a healthy gut can create a better lifestyle overall, for all of us.

When we are not properly digesting our immune system suffers.

When the immune system is at risk we can not fight off other illness and disease.

70% of our immune system is within our digestive tract! That’s astounding!

Blueberries also help prevent constipation and no one likes being constipated!

National Blueberry Month Eat Your Blueberries!

The fact is there are so many benefits to eating blueberries I could start an entire blog based on this topic alone!

I enjoy eating blueberry in many ways but when in a rush I just eat them plain with a bit of whipped cream on top.

Incorporating blueberry into your daily meal planning is super easy.

I would love to hear how you eat your blueberries!

Leave me a comment with your favorite way to use them.

If you enjoyed this article please sign up for my newsletter.

1. July 5, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Blueberries are really very healthy for a person. Our local blueberry farm just opened and we always to and pick. Another great berry is Aronia berries which is even better than blueberries.
    candy recently posted…Pearl Barley How to Cook/RecipesMy Profile

• July 5, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I want to go pick some myself. I need to look up any local farms. I will totally look into Aronia berries! thank you!

2. July 5, 2017 / 2:02 pm

I love blueberries — especially when they are fresh in season. I toss them in my cereal in the morning and in my vanilla ice cream with ground walnuts as an evening snack on these warm nights. I only wish they were in season all year. Dried ones have too much sugar and frozen ones just aren’t the same.

• July 5, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Ohhh with ground walnuts YES! I agree about the dried ones being too sweet. Frozen is better than dried but still NOT like fresh!

3. July 5, 2017 / 2:51 pm

We love eating blueberries. No recipes needed – right out of the carton they’re perfect. Picking them tomorrow!

4. July 5, 2017 / 4:51 pm

YAY for blueberries! I love them and get them all the time for me and the kids (big fans at my house!) Love all the benefits with eating such a tasty food : )
    Eloise recently posted…Best Camping Gear EVER!My Profile

5. Claudia Krusch
    July 5, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I love blueberries all year long. I like to freeze them and eat them like that as a snack or put them in my drink instead of ice. They have so many great benefits and are so delicious.

• July 5, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Oh that sounds super yummy! I will try that! SO glad your kiddos love them too!

6. Adaleta
    July 5, 2017 / 8:33 pm

blueberries really are amazing!! and being a super food is even better!!

• July 6, 2017 / 2:25 am

I think there is a month for everything haha. They truly do offer wonderful health benefits. That blueberry grilled cheese is wonderful!

• July 6, 2017 / 4:07 pm

Ohhhh that is awesome! I have always wanted to visit Seattle too! I bet you miss having that blueberry bush!

7. July 6, 2017 / 3:35 pm

I didn’t know that July is national blueberry month, this is so awesome. I love blueberries but I didn’t know the great benefits such as assisting in vision and digestion.

• July 6, 2017 / 4:06 pm

So glad you know how good they are for you AND that you love them! Eat up!

8. July 6, 2017 / 10:55 pm

I love blueberries! And although I’ll admit my favorite way to eat them is straight from the bush, my families favorite thing ever is a blueberry syrup I make. It’s fresh blueberries in a vanilla bean and lavender infused syrup that is so delicious, we make as much as possible in the summer to get us through the year!

• July 7, 2017 / 7:32 pm

Okay please tell me you sell this syrup somewhere online!! I MUST try it! That sounds amazing!

9. rika
    July 7, 2017 / 12:01 am

I love bluberries. I buy a 12 oz pack of blueberries almost every day in the summer, so cheap! Blueberries are good and healthy!

10. July 7, 2017 / 5:49 am

Blueberries are so good for you! I have been buying a huge box a few times a week and they have been disappearing quite fast.
    sara recently posted…Stew Leonard’s birthday giftsMy Profile

• July 7, 2017 / 5:23 pm

They sure have been going fast this year! I need to get to the store for more while they are still in season.

11. July 7, 2017 / 5:53 am

I’ve always enjoyed baking with blueberries. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized how important they are to our health. They have a lot of benefits.

• July 7, 2017 / 5:23 pm

They sure do Terri! I make things with blueberries but rarely bake. My daughter is the baker in our family. She is great at it!

12. July 7, 2017 / 10:15 am

I had no idea that we celebrated a blueberry month! That’s simply awesome. I love that it’s packed with so many benefits. It’s an awesome antioxidant!
    Carol Cassara recently posted…It’s all about loveMy Profile

• July 7, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I think there is a month for almost everything lol but I will be all over Blueberry Month! They are my favorite fruit so I am lucky they are so healthy!

13. Natalie z
    July 14, 2017 / 7:09 am

I didn’t always make a point to eat blueberries since they can be so expensive to buy storebought. We now grow 3 blueberry bushes in our backyard garden. Thanks for the added tips and eating suggestions!

• July 14, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I am so jealous! Is growing a bush easy? I wonder how they would do in my yard. I need to give it a try. I agree they are not inexpensive but lately they have been on sale since they are in season.