Happiness Is … DIY Ammo Box Planter

I had a great time last weekend with this easy DIY ammo box planter project.

DIY Ammo Box Planter

My mother had given me a vintage military wood ammo crate thinking I could do something with it.

After doing a little research, I found out it was a cannon crate although that was obvious from the writing on the box itself.

Other than that I really could not determine if it was one of the more valuable ammo boxes or one that ranges around $40.00.

Either way, I decided I loved it too much to let it go and decided to make a planter out of it.

This is a super simple project that can be done in just a few hours.

The key is buying a quick dry, spray on shellac.

Your DIY Ammo box planter can be ready in 3 easy steps:

Step 1: Clean off the ammo box.

Step 2: Spray on the shellac one coat at a time. Recommend 3 coats up to 5 coats.

Note: The shellac protects the wood from rain and rot. It also keeps critters from eating up the wood!

Step 3: Plant your plants!

I told you it was easy!

Easy DIY Ammo Box Planter

You can protect your driveway or yard by laying out some cardboard or plastic on the surface.

That is really the only precaution.

If you want you can wear a mask.

I recommend this if you suffer from asthma.

I bought the shellac at a hardware store.

The Beautiful Result:

Easy DIY Ammo Box Planter

If you look around you can usually find ammo boxes at vintage shops, second-hand shops, or they are easily found online.

There are plenty of them on Ebay.

Sometimes you will get lucky and find out at a yard sale for less than you will pay on Ebay which is around $40.00 give or take.

To me, happiness is in the little things.

This project made me happy because I love staying busy.

It also made me happy to create something.

This DIY Ammo Box Planter is also gorgeous in my yard.

The plants and flowers bring me joy and I hope they make passers-by smile too.

It is my hope that you find happiness in the small things each and every day.

What makes you happy?

Please let me know in the comments if you have found joy in anything recently, no matter how simple of a thing it was.

I love hearing from you!

Don’t miss out on other posts like this.

It only takes a moment to sign up for email updates.

You will also receive 2 free gifts when you do.

Please Share

1. June 15, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Your project turned out really nice. We have a couple of ammo boxes but getting hubby to give them up might be another problem.
    candy recently posted…Spinach Facts/RecipeMy Profile

• June 15, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Thank you so much Candy! Haha I hope your hubby lets you have one of them!

2. June 15, 2017 / 1:42 pm

That is really pretty and a neat idea to boot! I would love something like this in my yard. I need some pretty flowers sitting around to add some color.

• June 15, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Dawn having even a few pretty colorful flowers around will bring a smile to your face. Thank you too for the compliment!

• June 15, 2017 / 6:48 pm

There you go! So happy to inspire your creative spirit! It is just too easy not to do.

• June 15, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Thank you so much Jennifer! Keep your eyes open for an ammo box while you are out. I would never have noticed them before either.

3. June 16, 2017 / 9:10 am

I agree…gardening truly IS happiness. I wish I was as talented and creative as you when it comes to gardening…I have a bit of a black thumb. Maybe my husband can help me make a beautiful planter box since gardening is his thing!
    Amanda recently posted…8 Summer Hacks for ParentsMy Profile

• June 16, 2017 / 5:47 pm

Funny thing is I usually do not do so well with flowers. Herbs and veggies I am pretty decent with. We will see how these flowers do haha! I hope your husband will help you out with a planter box!

• June 16, 2017 / 5:45 pm

It would! That is a great idea as well! The shellac is supposed to preserve it – time will tell.

• June 16, 2017 / 5:44 pm

Thank you so much! Our decor is rustic so it went with our inside decor perfectly – just to bring a little outside.

• June 16, 2017 / 5:44 pm

It would! I do love wildflowers! I had to grab some at the nursery real fast since it is late in our planting season but next year Wildflowers for sure!

4. adriana
    June 16, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I just love the way this looks! What a seriously awesome idea! I love planting new flowers and veggies in the garden all summer long – I would love to DIY something like this!

5. jennifer
    June 16, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I just love this DIY! I have to try it out. I love the way it looks, and I love planting pretty flowers! 🙂 Cannot wait to make this this summer!

• June 17, 2017 / 4:47 pm

Thank you so much Jennifer! I love DIY especially when it is EASY haha. I hope you get to make one too!

• June 17, 2017 / 4:49 pm

I hope you get to make one too Jennifer it was so easy. Just have to find more of these ammo boxes!

6. Victoria heckstall
    June 17, 2017 / 12:27 am

Wow! I really love doing DIY things. This is really great and useful. I enjoyed reading your post.

• June 17, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Thank you so much Victoria! I love DIY as well but even more so when they are easy like this was.

• June 18, 2017 / 11:14 pm

Thank you so much Ricci! I hope you get to make something like it soon! It was fun to do and relaxing even. It feels nice to create something you can pass by, look at and know you had a part in it. Even planting in a pot you buy at the store can give a good feeling.

7. Katherine
    June 24, 2017 / 11:41 pm

This turned out beautifully. I never would have guessed who easy it is.

• June 26, 2017 / 11:29 am

Thank you so much Katherine! Finding the ammo boxes is perhaps the hardest part – ebay has them but you can sometimes get them a lot cheaper at a garage sale.

8. July 14, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Nice DIY. I was looking something similar for my terrace garden.

• July 14, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Oh I hope you make one! It was truly so easy. If it wasn’t I would not have been able to do it lol