Self-Image and You – How To Love Your Odd Features

This post is for all women.

It may be more helpful to the younger generations.

Most midlife women know this by now through life experience.

Whoever it may help. I am happy for it.

Just know, it will always be something.

Whatever self-image issue you are facing.

Whether you do not like your freckles, your curly hair, or your ample behind, someone appreciates it and wants it!

Self-image and you

When I was young I had what is now known today as a shelf butt. It really was not that large but the way it was shaped was unique.

I remember as early as grade school a classmate saying that if it rained they could all stand under it to keep dry.

Those words hurt at the time.

Now that my butt has lost its perkiness, I wish I had it back!

I remember my mother spending an hour or more each day when I was a child using an iron to straighten her hair. No not a flat iron, but the kind you iron clothing with! This was long before flat irons of today. I longed to have her curly hair!

When I was a kid women tried riding their face of freckles with lemon juice. These days, young ladies are putting freckles on their faces with makeup!

I recall one time many years ago (decades) I was walking into a night club to meet friends. A man and his friends were walking behind us. I hear this man call out “Girl …. your ass is FAT!”

I spun around and gave him a look that could kill and said: “WHAT did you just say to me!?”

He looked alarmed and innocently held up his hands and said: “No no that is a good thing! Fat means nice.”

I was confused and perplexed upon how Fat could be good but I went along with it.

Later in the club, my girlfriends explained the lingo to me.

I had no idea.

Nowadays women are having surgeries to make their butts larger.

The point is things are forever changing in our world. What is hot one day is not the next. What is not hot becomes the most desired thing.

Just be you and own what you got, or what you got not.

Be proud of your looks, your uniqueness, your differences from others.

Every single woman in this world has beauty both inside and out.

There are so many things that make us beautiful and let’s not forget some of the world’s top runway models have unique features that set them apart.

Yes, there are days I feel I look better than other days. Some days I look in the mirror and just can not see myself doing a photo shoot that day. Funny thing is, those are some of the days I do the best photo shoots of all!

There is nothing sexier than a confident woman.

My friend Pallas, may she rest in peace, was a very large lady. Yet she just glowed with confidence and she was never lacking a date!

She dressed well, always had a smile on her face, and was warm-hearted.

She reached out to people, talked to anyone, and was always willing to lend a hand.

It was not just her personality however that got attention, men loved her curves!

Sure some men thought she was too heavy, but there were very handsome men who preferred extra meat on a woman’s body.

Dressing like you believe in yourself is key. I am not just saying that because I love fashion.

I say it because I see far too many women lacking in self-confidence wearing baggy clothing trying to blend in or hide from the world.

Too many women who do not believe in themselves are holding their heads down so they do not have to make eye-contact or to avoid conversation.

Just be you and own what you got, or what you got not. Be proud of your looks, your uniqueness, your differences from others. Every single woman in this world has beauty both inside and out.

If this is you, look up!

You are marvelous, you are beautiful, and the sooner you believe it the sooner others will see it too.

A two-step exercise to increase your confidence:

1. Whatever your main issue is, focus on it, look for the pros then write down 5 reasons why that one odd feature is awesome!

Trust me if you try you will come up with 5 reasons. Those reasons can be based on practicality, your mate’s preferences, compliments you have received about your features that perhaps you did not embrace.

That happens often in reality. We receive compliments on the very thing we despise about ourselves and brush the compliment off because of our own insecurity.

2. Do a Google search of your issue to increase confidence such as “hot celebs with small breasts” or “Top 10 most beautiful women with freckles”.

Trust me plenty will come up in your search!

Seeing that there are so many people out there in the world who have the same physical traits as you and are considered beautiful will help build your own confidence.

Yes, it is true you can also find things on the web saying your physical features are not hot.

That’s the point though, why self-disparage when just as many will find you absolutely stunning as would find your features odd or unattractive.

We need to focus on the good about ourselves and be our own champions.

Just remember ladies, you are unique and beautiful.

I would love to hear your stories in the comments. What is something you feel proud of when it comes to your looks or features? Or share something you struggle with.

Sharing with others is a wonderful way to shed those feelings of inadequacy. Most likely you will find we are alike and share similar feelings.

1. May 12, 2017 / 12:50 pm

I am over all pretty confident. I do have my own little things that I don’t like about myself but I also don’t break my back trying to get rid of them. I will exercise and I will try to get in shape but my body is the way it is and I know I have to except that.
    Jeanette recently posted…Eco-Friendly Laundry TipsMy Profile

2. Marcie W.
    May 12, 2017 / 2:39 pm

LOVE this post! I really go out of my way not to say anything negative about myself or my body in front of my daughters. Setting a good example really makes a difference, and besides, true beauty comes from kindness and compassion.

• May 12, 2017 / 3:15 pm

Exactly! They learn so much from us even by simply observing let alone what we say and think of ourselves. Good mom!

• May 12, 2017 / 3:14 pm

That is so important for your girls that you have a strong self image. Good Mom!

3. May 12, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I still have issues loving myself the way I am since I feel like I have so many flaws. Hopefully one day I will work through them and accept who I am.

• May 12, 2017 / 5:56 pm

I do hope so Jenny. We ALL have flaws. Media, magazines, etc just cover them up. Even in real life many of us are good at hiding our imperfections. Trust me, no one is flawless. Our flaws make us unique. I hope you come to embrace yours. XOX

• May 13, 2017 / 11:09 am

That is awesome that your daughter loves hers! I always find women with prominent noses, bumps etc far more interesting and alluring!

4. May 12, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I love this post so much. It has taken me a long time to be comfortable in my own skin. I struggle with it, but it is no where near as bad as it used to be.

5. May 12, 2017 / 11:20 pm

There are more people in the world who are far better and worse than us. Sometimes it’s nice to compare also so you get confidence in yourself more.

6. Gabriel
    May 13, 2017 / 8:20 am

My wife has a quirky eyebrow (just one of them!) that she is just now starting to embrace. I love it on her!

• May 14, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Your eyes sound BEAUTIFUL Tracy! It is so good to know our unique features are our best ones. Thank you!

• May 14, 2017 / 4:59 pm

Thank you so much Echo. Yes Googling can really shine some light on how much our features are truly desired.

7. May 14, 2017 / 12:27 pm

I have been overweight most of my adult life. I long to be skinny but it is probably not going to happen unless I put a zipper on my mouth. 🙂

I will have to use your tips. Since I have been “sick”, my confidence went down the toilet. It is hard to feel beautiful when your constantly in pain.
    uprunforlife recently posted…Top 25 Workout Songs from the ’80sMy Profile

• May 14, 2017 / 4:58 pm

It is. I am with you on that for sure. Some days are easier than others to push through. Stay strong you are an amazing person. A mouth zipper sounds painful too. LOL

8. May 14, 2017 / 10:49 pm

I had varicose vein surgery last fall but I am still pretty self conscious about my legs but I have decided that I’m not going to let that stop me from wearing shorts this summer. I need to suck it up and wear shorts!! So I am still working on my self image but I’m getting there.
    ricci recently posted…Last Minute Mother’s Day Gifts for Bad MomsMy Profile

• May 15, 2017 / 6:16 pm

Good I am glad you are going for it and enjoying being comfortable in shorts this summer! I am glad you are getting there with the self-image. I can only imagine varicose veins and how that would effect me so I won’t pretend to understand. I hope the surgery helped at least your health and well being!

• May 15, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Indeed Terri. I admit I dress in jeans often haha but it does make us FEEL better when we look better.

9. Jeni Hawkins
    May 15, 2017 / 10:43 am

If you feel great about yourself that is all that matters. Perceptions and what is in will always change.

10. May 15, 2017 / 9:36 pm

it is all about accepting yourself for who you are (Confidence!) No one person in the world is flawless and no one ever will be (no matter how many surgeries they have!) I think that’s a beautiful thing!
    Trying to look perfect takes too much time and is emotionally draining. it can also come off as unnatural and it only screams lack of self-love. Just be YOU!
    Eloise recently posted…It All Starts With Mental StrengthMy Profile

• May 15, 2017 / 10:44 pm

I agree 100% with you Eloise! Nature made us beautiful and I embrace every oddity I have. Thank you for commenting today!

11. May 18, 2017 / 11:52 am

This post is filled with a great motivation. Truly inspiring one. Yes, self-confidence is required. Everyone should respect own appearance. It is a gift given by God.