Mother’s Day When You Are Dealing With Loss 5 Ways To Honor Your Loved One

For many, Mother’s Day comes with mixed feelings.

There are those of us who have suffered the loss of a mother, or child.

For those who have suffered loss recently holidays such as Mother’s Day can hurt deeply.

If this is what you are going through all the media and commercials could be getting to you.

Just know you are not alone.

Mother's Day Celebrating Through Loss

While nothing can take the pain away you are still a mother or daughter.

Losing a child does not make you less of a mother.

Losing your mother does not diminish what you felt for her.

You are still a daughter.

It hurts not being able to give your mother a special gift.

It hurts to know your child will not be making you a card to hang on the fridge.

Through the pain, there are ways to honor your mother or child on Mother’s Day.

If you have lost a parent or child you can do something to honor them. Something they would have loved, or something that reminds you of them.

Something they would have loved, or something that reminds you of them.

By doing so it could help you heal.

Love Never Dies

There are things that live through loss.

Love is the strongest.

We also never lose what we have learned from them.

Honor your loved one on Mother’s Day with one of the following ideas, or one of your own. Perhaos the list will inspire you.

1. Participate in their favorite activity.

If your mother enjoyed gardening get outside and plant a tree in their honor. If you have lost a child that loved bathtime take a long hot soak. It is okay to let the tears fall as you remember them.

It is okay to let the tears fall as you remember them.

Tears are healthy when you are greiving. Even if you have been through the grieving process special days like Mother’s Day can bring the emotions back out.

2. Host a party in their honor.

Invite their friends, family,  and loved ones to gather and celebrate their life. Have a cake, snacks, and make a toast in their memory.

Guests can talk and tell stories about their memories of your loved one.

Have each guest write a loving memory or a kind word about your loved one. Have them put their paper in a decorative vase. Each time you are missing your loved one you can pull out a memory out and read it.

3. Make a Shadowbox with their favorite trinkets.

Shadowboxes can be decorative and beautiful. They are meant to hold meaningful items.

Nothing is more meaningful than the trinkets of your loved one.

From a broach to their favorite handkerchief. Their first pacifier, or a clipping from their favorite blanket. Placing these cherished items into a shadowbox is a wonderful way to remember them and honor them by always having a part of them close by.

4. Volunteer at their favorite charity or a charity that is meaningful to their life, or passing.

My grandmother passed away one year ago of Alzheimer’s. Volunteering for a group that gives to Alzheimer’s research is perfect for my mother and me. She also spent her last days, comfortably at a hospice house. We could choose to volunteer there too.

When I was younger, I lost a child to a neurological disease. I can honor her by donating to charity for her condition.

Giving back is always a beautiful way to honor a loved one who has passed.

5. Name a star after your loved one.

Mother's Day When You Are Dealing With Loss 5 Ways To Honor Your Loved One

To me, this is such a beautiful way to remember a loved one.

I want to be clear: There is absolutely no legal or legitimate star naming service out there. No matter who a site may claim to be in line with such as NASA. No matter how official the site may sound. Yes, a star is named in honor of your loved one. That star is only a number, however. Stars are assigned numbers and logged in multiple registries through multiple organizations. Naming a star for your loved one should only be done because in your heart it holds meaning.

Yes, you will be given the location of your star. That is legitimate. You will be able to look up into the night sky and see your star, but technically, you do not have “ownership” over the star itself.

Even so, I do not care about the intricate details personally. I think it is a lovely idea, and since I am a star gazer I love the idea of looking up and remembering my loved ones.

I hope that these ideas have been helpful. Perhaps one of them inspired your own ideas.

Mother’s Day or any holiday can be difficult when dealing with loss.

I choose to celebrate their memories. I believe that is what they would have wanted me to do.

1. May 4, 2017 / 11:44 am

This is wonderful advice. My mother has passed so I miss her dearly especially on Mothers Day. We still celebrate myself being a mother and my daughter as well. Always remembering where we came from and who we are.
    candy recently posted…Old Fashion Coke Cola CakeMy Profile

• May 4, 2017 / 10:50 pm

That is perfect! That is what I want all those who have lost to remember. There is still reason to celebrate, remember, and cherish those we have lost. It is still our day even if they are gone.

2. Jennifer G
    May 4, 2017 / 11:54 am

Holidays are difficult when you are dealing with loss for sure. I lost my dad when I was really young and every year, the holidays just feel like that are missing something.

• May 4, 2017 / 10:50 pm

I am so sorry Jennifer. It is not fair to lose a parent so young. Love to you.

3. Jennifer Van Huss
    May 4, 2017 / 3:14 pm

Hugs !! This is a great post. So many people get uncomfortable talking about things like this around Mother’s day but it is very important to all those who have lost their mom!! We always put flowers on my grandma’s grave on mother’s day!

• May 4, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Awee that is so lovely that you do that for your grandma. I just wanted all mothers and daughter’s to know this day is still for them too.

4. May 4, 2017 / 9:21 pm

This is a beautiful post. I like the suggestions you made – very thoughtful and sensitive to the subject, but helpful for those who have experienced loss.

5. Victoria Heckstall
    May 4, 2017 / 9:41 pm

This is such a lovely and helpful, I know someone who need to do this after experienced loss.

6. Michelle Waller
    May 5, 2017 / 8:58 am

This is just an amazing post. Every year I add to a shadow box I made for my grandmother.

• May 5, 2017 / 7:48 pm

Michelle that is so wonderful that you do the shadow box!! I love them and they are wonderful ways to keep someone’s memory alive.

7. May 5, 2017 / 10:08 am

I think that doing something a loved one did would be the best way to honour them. For me, it would make me feel closer to them. It is hard to lose someone special to you, but to remember them is a great way to honour their memory.

• May 5, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Indeed Lian and I agree I really liked that idea to for the same reason you said.

8. May 5, 2017 / 2:41 pm

It is hard to believe that my mom has been gone nearly 7 years. I miss her so much and Mother’s day is always tough for me. I just try to remember the good times that I had with her. She was my shopping buddy.
    uprunforlife recently posted…What are the Health Effects of Asbestos Exposure?My Profile

• May 5, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Awee I am so sorry. It is wonderful that you have so many fond memories with her.

• May 5, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Thank you Kiwi. I hate for anyone to be suffering on any day so this was the least I could do.

• May 5, 2017 / 10:12 pm

I am so sorry. No one should ever have to witness the loss of a child. I too have been through this. Or am going through this. Not sure there is a “been” in this situation. Much love to you!

9. May 6, 2017 / 12:01 am

I have seen people suffer so much pain after a loss. And yes, death doesn’t not make mothers any less. And it doesn’t mean that someone is no longer a daughter. We shouldn’t let death define us or the people around us.
    David Elliott recently posted…Fitness Week Thirteen – Triskaideka Who?My Profile

10. May 6, 2017 / 8:02 am

This is beautiful advice. I know Mother’s will become more about honoring the memory of my mom once she is gone. However I couldn’t imagine losing a child. I feel so deeply for those who have.

• May 7, 2017 / 3:02 pm

Awee see that is another way in which people can feel sad or left out. I did not even think of that! Thank you for pointing this out! Truly.

11. May 7, 2017 / 11:19 pm

I can’t imagine the pain and loss of a mother. My grandmother past away 4 years ago and it is still not the same and we all feel so much grief. I love the idea of honoring mom through loss.
    Michelle recently posted…Finn + Emma Organic and Eco Safe Just For BabyMy Profile

12. rika
    May 7, 2017 / 11:56 pm

I love these ideas! I would love to celebrate mother’s day with my mom but she lives far away. Mother’s day can be difficult when dealing with loss.

13. May 9, 2017 / 5:02 pm

What a lovely post! It’s definitely difficult to deal with loss and even harder when holidays like Mother’s Day roll around.