For My Mom Happy Mother’s Day

This post is for my mother.

She does not like flowers, cards, or gifts that much. Mostly due to her frugal nature.

Family, however, is important to her.

My Mother

My mother and I have had our share of complications as many mother-daughter relationships do.

We also have a very close bond even if it is different in its own way.

She raised me as a young single mother handling my diabetes before we have the tech we do today.

I have no idea how she kept me alive!

It was a struggle, to say the least.

Some of my fondest memories with her when I was little are frequent trips to the park and taking drives to get an ice cream come.

She also read to me and sang to me almost every night. Those are my favorite memories.

I still remember the songs sang to me when I was small.

She used to make much of our clothing by hand. She made me such pretty dresses and sometimes she made us matching dresses. I loved those.

The older I become, the more I begin to look like her.

People tell me more and more often that I look just like my mother.

This is a lovely compliment.

Happy Mother's Day Mom

My love of animals comes from her, my wit comes from her, and my wisdom.

I also attribute my dry and sometimes sarcastic sense of humor to her.

Thank you, mom.

Thanks for raising me and keeping me healthy.

Thank you for the visits to the park, the ice cream cones, the stories, and music.

Also, thank you for the pretty dresses, and thank you for somehow keeping me alive.

Happy Mother’s  Day to you!

Love you mom,

Your daughter

Please Share

1. Tammy Mentzer
    May 14, 2017 / 11:59 am

Thank you Joely. That is a lovely article and I appreciate it very much. You and I also went through out “hippie-dressing” days too; bell bottoms, fringe purses, incense, Mother Earth and Earthshine, – the whole nine yards. This article is very special to me. I love you – thanks again!

• May 14, 2017 / 4:59 pm

Yes indeed we did lol I never care to see bell bottoms again personally. Fringe pursues however are back BIG TIME.

2. May 14, 2017 / 3:39 pm

What a beautiful post this is! My mother has been gone now for many years and I miss her dearly. Hold on to those memories and be sure to make many more. Happy Mother’s Day to both of you

• May 14, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Thank you Anne. I am so sorry your mother is no longer with you. Good advice I will embrace it.

3. May 15, 2017 / 2:39 am

Aww, how absolutely wonderful and touching! What did your mum think of it? I bet you had her in tears! My mum lives about a 14 hour flight away, so I gave her a call and we had a lovely chat.

• May 15, 2017 / 6:15 pm

She loved it! Thank you for asking Azlin – by the way LOVE your name! I am so glad you and your mum were able to catch up over the phone. It would be difficult living so far away.

4. MaryAnne
    May 15, 2017 / 7:57 am

Such a cool post! I enjoyed reading it so much! happy mother´s day for the beautiful mommys here!

• May 15, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Thank you so much MaryAnne! My grandmother’s twin’s name was MaryAnne. Great name and great people who have it!

5. May 15, 2017 / 7:58 am

What a great way to recognize your mother & I love meeting her frugality. Hopefully she can see this online & come back to enjoy it in the future, something that you can’t do with a phone call.

• May 15, 2017 / 6:13 pm

She indeed did – haha I made sure she came and looked. She was very happy with it. Thank you Tina!

• May 15, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Wow your mom sounds awesome! I am really impressed she did woodworking! We are lucky to have such smart moms!

• May 15, 2017 / 8:04 pm

Exactly Censie they sure will be. Thank you and I hope your Mother’s day was beautiful. I had a good one.

6. May 15, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Your post brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful. I can of feel the same way about my mom, She is my role model, my best friend, my hero, the best grandma ever. She lives thousands of miles away from me, and I miss her so much.
    Your mom is very beautiful and sounds like she is a great mom. I hope you had a great day yesterday and you can cherish more memories with your mom.

• May 15, 2017 / 10:44 pm

Awee I am so sorry your mother lives so far away. That must be so difficult. I am glad you are so close though. I hope your mother’s day was also lovely and that you got to speak with your mother or skype with her! XOX

7. May 15, 2017 / 10:16 pm

What a sweet tribute to your mom, who is obviously a wonderful person! Funny how those things we disagreed on years ago can often become some of the memories we treasure most about our moms. Happy Mother’s Day!

• May 15, 2017 / 10:43 pm

So much truth here! I agree Kristi! Thank you for your lovely comment! I hope you too had a lovely mothers day!

8. May 15, 2017 / 11:11 pm

I love this and I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to a woman who is frugal and doesn’t want a present. You mom sounds like an extraordinary woman. Did you end up saving any of the dresses that she made. I love the idea of matching mother/daughter dresses.

• May 16, 2017 / 12:02 am

I sure wish she had saved them. I was so little it was out of my hands. Funny thing is – she does not even remember how to sew anymore. I bet she could if she tried it though. I just do not think she wants to lol. She says she did it back then because we had to (we were poor) but now days – I have looked at fabric and finishing costs OMG its too expensive TO make your own clothing!
      Haha.

• May 16, 2017 / 2:21 am

We lived in the same home in a separate apartment with my grandparents. They helped a lot as my mother worked full time. Thank you so much for the sweet comment.

9. May 16, 2017 / 6:59 am

I’m so touch by your letter to your Mom. I haven’t seen my mother for almost 7 years since I become an immigrant. And finally I was able to spend Mother’s day with her and I’m cherishing each moment I have with her, We are too busy with our lives and we didn’t realize they are getting old.
    Farrah Less G. recently posted…5 Standout Experiences To Have In ColoradoMy Profile

• May 16, 2017 / 1:39 pm

Awee I am SO happy you were finally able to spend time with her. 7 years is a very long time to wait!

10. Ali Rost
    May 16, 2017 / 8:38 am

What a beautiful letter to your mom on Mother’s Day. My guess is she’s read it over and over again. I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been managing diabetes back in the day before all of the technology we take for granted. How wonderful that she too is an animal and ice cream cone lover! Your post made me smile ..

• May 16, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Thank you SO much Aileen! Yes it is easy to take for granted especially when younger.

11. May 16, 2017 / 2:22 pm

I love fringe, as long as its tasteful! Bell bottoms on the other hand, no. 😉 Xx- Doran @HauteBeautyGuide

12. Ra'Nesha
    May 17, 2017 / 4:55 am

your tribute was beautiful and very touching. I had to share this with my Sister I truly enjoyed your post.

13. Bites for foodies
    May 22, 2017 / 1:46 pm

I am so blessed to say that I have the most amazing relationship with my mom. She’s my rock my mentor and my bests friend!

• May 22, 2017 / 5:05 pm

That is so awesome to hear!! Nothing better than having your mom be your best friend!