Were You Born With The Right Hair Color?

A few weeks ago, I was at my doctor’s office.

The nurse asked me if my hair color was natural.

This is a difficult question for me to answer because I have no idea what my “natural” color is anymore.

When I was a child and up until my thirties I was a blond. Naturally, I am bright blond.

Yet when I hit my thirties my hair began to turn dishwater. Then as a few more years passed it was turning brown.

Eventually, I just began to dye my hair to achieve a consistent and prettier color.

I experimented for years looking for a color that worked with how my hair was naturally growing in. Looking for a color that felt like me.

Were You Born With The Right Hair Color

There were times I attempted to dye my hair back to my original blond.

Every time I tried to go back to blond my hair turned out very red.

I played around with being a redhead as well.

Finally, I discovered that I liked a deep red in summer and a darker auburn in winter.

Sometimes to this day, I will dye my hair an auburn with some slight purple hues.

That is my favorite color.

It was not until I figured out my favorite hair colors that I began to feel “me”.

We know that our hair color can affect the way that others perceive us.

Can hair color also affect the way we see ourselves?

We can dye our hair any color we want but does it change us?

We have all heard the sayings and know the stigmas.

Blonds have more fun, blondes are ditzy.

Redheads are hot tempered.

Brunettes are more intelligent.

We could list these stigmas all day long.

The fact is, when I was younger I did feel like a typical blond.

I think I was a typical blond as for attitude, and stigma.

For me going red or auburn was a turning point.

Yes, I had grown older. I had more life experience. I had matured.

Still, going from dirty blond to red overnight could not have possibly changed me. Could it?

I seriously doubt that changing my hair color realigned my molecules, my DNA, my essence.

Yet as a redhead, or as a woman with auburn hair, I was empowered.

Hair color and self perception

Have you ever felt the color you were born with was not really you?

Perhaps for some going blond is empowering. For some, it may be going jet black, or fairy dust blue.

If changing your hair color creates a feeling of empowerment I say go for it!

It may not change your DNA but it sure can change your attitude and outlook of self.

Have you ever changed your hair color? Did it change how you felt about yourself?

I would love to hear about your experience in the comments.

1. May 1, 2017 / 5:13 am

Believe it or not I’ve never colored or highlighted my hair in my entire life! I would love to know what I’d look like with other hair colors, but I’ll have to try wigs …I don’t see myself ever changing my color!

• May 1, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Niloo you look fab and I would not touch that hair of yours for nothing! You truly have such thick beautiful hair with the right curl and it’s perfect! Maybe when older MUCH older.

• May 1, 2017 / 4:17 pm

Stacie that is awesome though that you knew how it made you feel! It’s good to be so in touch with your feelings!

2. May 1, 2017 / 7:03 am

I’ve never colored my hair, but my wife have several times. I remember once she colored her hair a bit lighter blonde than normal and she said she felt younger.
    Bill Sweeney recently posted…Wedding Guest Dresses Under $50My Profile

3. May 1, 2017 / 1:20 pm

My hairs naturally a very dark brown (it has been called black by others) but has auburn highlights, however I’m starting to go grey and thinking about dying it.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Kate’s Clothing LoveMy Profile

4. May 1, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I had dyed my hair once, but it did not look any different than it did before I had tried colouring it. Now that I have braids in, I like to switch up the colours, making sure I have fun coloured highlights. It’s more fun to be adventurous with hair when you try different colours in it.

5. May 1, 2017 / 2:04 pm

Yes! I actually feel more confident when my hair looks good!

6. Claudia Krusch
    May 1, 2017 / 3:52 pm

I always feel good when I get my hair color refreshed. I have been using the same tones in my hair since I was a teenager. I love my hair to have some red undertones to the rich brown.

7. Dana Rodriguez
    May 1, 2017 / 4:06 pm

I have always been like a dishwater blonde and the more I am in the sun it gets streaks in it. I have been actually thinking about going to a plum/auburn color but I am so fair I am afraid it will make me look washed out. I am on the fence on that. Fiance’ wants me to and I am like meh…

• May 1, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Go for it! You can always go back easily these days. I have pale skin myself but it works.

8. May 1, 2017 / 4:57 pm

I only went natural with my hair color while I was pregnant. I love coloring my hair and have never been afraid to change it up. I’ve been every color except jet black.

• May 1, 2017 / 8:09 pm

Same here Michelle! I think I am too pale for jet black. I would love to try it though.

• May 1, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Oh be sure you have plenty of great photos of your hair including close ups so they can do their best! I would get photos in different types of lighting and even maybe take a hair clipping of it now.

• May 1, 2017 / 8:08 pm

That’s great that you have never thought of it. Means you are happy with how you are and there is nothing better than that!

9. May 2, 2017 / 7:44 am

My hair was blond through around first grade. It naturally turned brown when I was about 7 or 8 years old. My kids have nice blond hair and just turned eight. I’m hoping their hair doesn’t change like mine did.

• May 2, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I hope not too Tim. Isn’t it strange how some of us get darker and others not.

• May 2, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Yeah cost is a whole other factor for sure! I used to get mine done professionally but ended up finding the right color from a box. I got lucky!

10. Kathy
    May 2, 2017 / 9:44 am

I use to change my hair color all the time back in my teenage years. I no longer dye my hair though. I have natural red hair, so I don’t want to change the color anymore. I love my hair color.

• May 2, 2017 / 1:05 pm

I love red too! I have had most all colors except jet black and red has always been my favorite.

11. May 2, 2017 / 10:41 am

I dyed my hair several years ago. It has been 6 years since I have but I am considering it again. I want the fun colors but I don’t want to bleach my hair.

I was even thinking a blue/black hue but I just have too much red in my brunette hair.
    uprunforlife recently posted…100+ Gym Hairstyles for Long HairMy Profile

• May 2, 2017 / 1:04 pm

I used to worry about bleaching as well but I THINK that it’s not as much of a problem as it used to be. They have surely refined and improved on how it is done now days. I would talk to a professional stylist and ask. It would be fun to have a blue black hue! I want more purple in mine!

12. May 2, 2017 / 12:56 pm

My hair has had many colors naturally since I was a little one. I have actually tried to make it all uniform in my younger years though… I did enjoy the dark chocolate/ebony color I tried once and it made me feel bold.
    Martine – MeUnfinished recently posted…Sexy women: do they have to be Flawless?My Profile

• May 2, 2017 / 1:02 pm

That is a nice way to feel! My daughter had lovely natural highlights too – many colors when she was young. She ended up dying it too.

13. May 2, 2017 / 1:49 pm

No matter what color I choose it always comes out way way darker then my intent so I jusy live with it now. If love to be able to excitement and actually see the differences in color!!!

• May 2, 2017 / 8:50 pm

That is interesting and I bet frustrating for you! It just goes to show the color of our hair itself is not all that matters when it comes to changing color. It has to be something deeper in our DNA that makes it turn out the way it does. Could also be the thickness of our hair or other things. I wonder if they teach about this in beauty school.

14. May 2, 2017 / 4:08 pm

I feel more in touch with my natural color now, than I ever did when I was younger. I dyed my hair a lot of different colors in highschool and in my 20’s, but
    I roll with my natural tones now.
    Echo recently posted…Plus Sized Instagrammers That Inspire MeMy Profile

• May 2, 2017 / 8:41 pm

That is funny – we are the exact opposite haha. I am glad you are loving the natural color of your hair now!

• May 2, 2017 / 8:40 pm

I believe what feels right for you is what is best! I do think highlighting from ears down sounds cool though. I am glad you love your natural color!

15. Victoria Heckstall
    May 2, 2017 / 7:08 pm

Our hair is our most noticeable trait—and we obsess over it accordingly. But even though we spend lots of time enhancing and re-enhancing our tresses, we probably haven’t considered something pretty cool.

• May 2, 2017 / 8:37 pm

Indeed! Granted there are far more important traits to look deeply at but it’s all about the collective whole.

16. May 2, 2017 / 8:15 pm

I am a brunette girl but one time when I was in college, I experimented with coloring my hair and the priest from our school told me I look better with my natural hair, I never colored my hair again lol.

17. May 3, 2017 / 5:02 am

I have brown hair and I feel like I was born with the right color hair. I cannot imagine myself with a different hair color really.
    sara recently posted…Mother’s Day GiveawayMy Profile

18. May 3, 2017 / 5:47 am

I have veered away from my natural hair color (dark brown) by having it professionally dyed, once opting for dark red and then honey brown another time. These days, I stay away from hair dye since it took a few years to get my hair back to its normal state since it had damaged my hair in the process. I still admire other colors, but I don’t want to go through that process again. 🙁
    HilLesha O’Nan recently posted…Beauty SleepMy Profile

• May 3, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Oh no and some people’s hair just can’t take the dying process. Honey brown sounds lovely but you honestly look fab with your natural color!

19. May 3, 2017 / 7:04 am

I have dark brown hair, but after I graduated from college, I dyed it light brown and I’ve been doing it ever since. Just loving the lighter brown color on my hair. 🙂
    Lynndee recently posted…2017: April RecapMy Profile

• May 3, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Lynndee I never knew that! You look SO natural and beautiful with your brown!

20. Jennifer G
    May 3, 2017 / 11:32 am

I have dirty blonde hair naturally but it was bleach blonde when I was little. It has darkened up quite a bit. Sometimes I dye it red because I love red hair.

• May 3, 2017 / 10:45 pm

Me too Jennifer! I sometimes think about going back blonde but I know I will still pull red so I would be strawberry blonde and I just do not look good with that color.

21. May 3, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Nope. I’ve always been a redhead and not really planning on changing now… although I have been toying with the idea of doing a layer of mermaid hair on the nap of my neck, just for fun.

• May 3, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Oh that would be totally cool! Then you can hide it when you want or pull your hair up when you want to show it off!

22. Gabriel
    May 4, 2017 / 5:51 am

My hair has definitely darkened as I age, but it still bleaches back to almost white in the sun pretty quickly. I’ve never tried changing it to anything else (although I have cheated with sun-in a few times).

• May 4, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Haha I loved sun-in back in the day and I saw that they still make it only recently! Too cool! It is neat how your hair gets so light in the summer. Mine used to do that.