Tulip Time At Ward Mead Park Topeka Kansas

April is when the tulips bloom and many places across the nation hold Tulip Festivals.

Tulip Time in Topeka is celebrated across many locations, most sponsored by Topeka Parks and Recreation Department.

Tulip Time In Topeka

One of my families favorite places to visit all year long is Ward Meade Park.

Ward Meade park has a lovely botanical garden, historical landmarks, a gift shop, and a working old time ice cream parlor!

Over the past two weekends, Tulip Time was lit up and visitors were able to enjoy the tulips into the nighttime.

I wanted to share some of the photos I took while attending the event.

The image above in the graphic is one of my favorites.

Here it is full sized:

Close Up of Pink Tulips

Many photographers and amateur photographers bring very nice cameras and spend the entire day taking photographs.

It makes me want to get a good camera!

I should have one for my blog, it would be tax deductible after all.

It’s on the wishlist!

During the day you can appreciate the decorations that will later be lit up.

Tulip Festival Art

Then at night, the art comes alive with lights!

Tulip Festival in Kansas would be complete without our state flower, the Sunflower.

Tulip Festival Light Up Sunflower

I really loved these deep purple and red tulips. Such a juxtaposition to all the bright and pastel flowers. These lined the entire parameter of the site.

Tulips Red and Purple

Ward Meade Park’s botanical gardens have more than flowers. Trees are a major part of the landscape.

Tulip Time Trees

The gardens boast over 500 species of trees and shrubs and over 5000 annual flowers!

Ward Meade is a beautiful place rich in history that our family has visited for generations. The Tulip event only being in April of every year.

The light festival is new in the past couple of years however and is just a sight to behold.

Tulip Festival Entrance To Gardens

At the entrance to the gardens is a beautiful water feature surrounded by tulips.

To the left, you can see part of the Ward Meade Mansion.

The Ward-Meade house is considered the first mansion built in Topeka. … Anthony Ward was a wheelwright who held the sand rights on the Kansas River near his house. He sold sand to the builders of Topeka and made wheels for wagons that carried settlers to California.

The house was partially open for walkthroughs so we were able to snap a couple photos of the inside.

Tulip Time Warder Meade Dining Room 2

Tulip Time Warder Meade Dining Room

Tulip Time Warder Meade Living Room

I just love this picture of the sun setting over these beautiful tulips:

Tulip SunSet

Here are more evening photos with the lights.

The blue lights are actually in a stream that runs through part of the park.

Tulip Time Light Show

All of the pathways through the park were lined with citronella candles to keep the bugs away. Even through the aroma of citronella, you could still smell the flowers. Especially when a breeze blew through the park!

Tulip Time Beauty

There is an area of the part that has beautiful Asian decor. It is my favorite area of the park.

Tulip Festival Asian Area

Another family took our photo and after we took one of them. Festivals are lovely because we get to meet so many wonderful people.

Tulip Festival family pic

There was a Koi Pond and Rock Garden. I did not get a very good photo of this area.

It was the busiest area of the park because there are a lot of seating areas around it.

This is also one of the best places for pictures.

I got a quick snap of the photo below while I could.

Tulip Festival Koi Pond

One of my favorite lights at the event was this purple one.

I have no idea what it was supposed to be. To me, it looked a bit like something you would see deep in the ocean.

Tulip Time Purple Thing

There were so many beautiful things I did not get a photo of. I was immersed in being there, and just experiencing the event.

We are all too often glued to our phones and not allowing ourselves to be in the moment.

I am frequently struggling to find the balance between just enjoying life, and snapping a few photos to share on the blog.

In retrospect, I do wish I had taken more photos to share.

Not to be outdone, I too have a tulip in my yard.

Yes, one solitary tulip. It is almost comical!

I have no idea why the others planted around this tree did not grow this year.

They have in previous years.

Tulip In My Yard

It may be my only tulip but it sure is a pretty one.

I am thankful for it.

Do you have flowers growing in your yard this year?

1. Victoria Heckstall
    April 17, 2017 / 4:15 pm

What a beautiful place to visit with my family, they will surely love this place, the view and the ambiance. Love those gorgeous flowers at night!

• April 17, 2017 / 7:25 pm

Thank you so much for checking it out. My daughter went TWICE she loved it so much.

2. April 17, 2017 / 5:56 pm

Tulips are one of my favorite flowers! I wish I lived closer to Topeka, I would love to visit with my daughter one day. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos.
    sara recently posted…Easy homemade pizza doughMy Profile

3. April 17, 2017 / 8:45 pm

I love tulips.. they are the prettiest! I love the first photo of pink tulips. It is so nice to the eyes. I wish I could have them on my room.
    MARS recently posted…Just Beds BangkokMy Profile

• April 17, 2017 / 9:13 pm

That was honestly my best photo and I am proud of it. All these people had professional cameras and here I was with my PHONE lol. Still I love it. I would love to have that as a mural on my wall too!

• April 17, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Oh I am too! We need things like this in life to give us a break now and then. I am so glad Spring is here too! Enjoy!

• April 18, 2017 / 1:33 pm

If for no other reason right lol. The floral gardens here are amazing, although any flower garden anywhere is. I just love seeing the flowers bloom in spring!

4. Kathy
    April 18, 2017 / 8:54 am

Wow, now that is somewhere I’d love to be. I love just looking at flowers. Tulips are one of my favorites too! They smell so good.

• April 18, 2017 / 1:31 pm

They sure do! Even with the citronella candles all over the place I could still smell the flowers!

5. April 18, 2017 / 12:09 pm

The tulips are so beautiful. I love the black and red ones. The pretty flowers make me wish that I had a flower bed. That is one thing that I am missing about having a house to call my own. However, the stress of not fixing things is easier since I have so many health problems.
    uprunforlife recently posted…How to Stay Active Over the Age of 65My Profile

• April 18, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Indeed sometimes all the work that needs done makes me wish for an apartment again lol. I have a house, and have not had time to get to a flower bed this year or last. I keep saying I will.

6. April 18, 2017 / 4:59 pm

I love tulips! If only that place is a few miles away from here, we’d surely go and check it out. I do have flowers blooming now like phlox, lilac and azaleas.
    Lynndee recently posted…Sweet Corn and Spring Vegetable PastaMy Profile

• April 18, 2017 / 5:07 pm

Ohhh lovely!! I have lilac – a tree or huge bush whatever it is – love it. I have another flowering tree, no idea what it is but that is it. I need to plant flowers! I keep saying I will but never get around to it. I had ONE tulip come up this year ONE lol – that was in the blog article. We usually have lilies by now but nothing. I should go with phlox – isn’t that rather easy to grow? I need easy.

7. karlyn cruz
    April 19, 2017 / 1:24 am

Tulips my favorite flower! It so beautiful! The place is also awesome. I love it! I would love to visit there someday.

• April 19, 2017 / 2:47 am

I never knew there were so many kinds of tulips – it was a beautiful place to be.

• April 19, 2017 / 2:47 am

Oh that was so much prettier in person but the photo is lovely too. Thank you so much!

8. April 19, 2017 / 10:21 pm

This sounds a really fun and enjoyable event. I absolutely love tulips! These photos are truly spectacular.

9. April 19, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Omg so pretty!!!! I love spring time because of all the pretty flowers!!!! Tulips are definitely gorgeous to look at that’s for sure!

10. Krystal
    April 20, 2017 / 3:16 pm

Tulips are my FAVORITE flower. I love the variety of colors. Beautiful images!