National Pet Month

April is National Pet Month.

Not only is it National Pet Month but it also is Heartworm Awareness Month and American Red Cross Pet 1st Aid Month.

National Pet 1st Aid Month

As much as I may know about pets I also know that things change.

I need to keep up with the new information available out there.

These yearly events are wonderful because they are a great reminder to touch on known techniques or to learn a few new ones.

The American 1st Aid Month is in April because it is the beginning of hot weather.

Pets are not much different from humans when it comes to needing clean cool water to drink.

This is especially important for outside pets.

Pets also suffer heat stroke like humans.

Please make sure your pets have a cool shady place to rest if they are outside most of the time.

Even if inside pets can overheat. Please leave the air conditioning on, or a fan so they can stay cool.

Never ever leave your pet unattended in a car, and if you do, please leave a window cracked.

I am that person who will break a window to rescue a pet.

Dog Humor National Pet Month

First aid courses are available please visit American Red Cross online.

My husband and I are going to take a course to learn pet CPR.

It is also Heart Worm Awareness Month.

American Heartworm Society reports that more than one million dogs currently have heartworm disease.

Heartworm effects cats too.

This is a serious health concern for our pets.

We give Lyla a month pill to protect her from heartworm, fleas and intestinal parasites.

In the hot months of Summer, it is a must for your pet.

Let’s take care of our furry friends. They depend on us!

Please share this article and by all means, leave me a comment about your best furry friend!

Please Share

• April 12, 2017 / 12:07 am

I could not agree more Stacie! My daughter has a doxie and he sure is a character! I just love him and all our pets.

1. Claudia Krusch
    April 11, 2017 / 4:42 pm

It is so important to have your pets checked at the Vet once a year. My furbaby deserves only the best.

2. Joanne
    April 11, 2017 / 8:32 pm

I can’t imagine living without pets. We have a dog and two cats – they are our babies.

3. Victoria Heckstall
    April 12, 2017 / 2:49 am

I love pets! Owning a pet can decrease depression, stress and anxiety, health-wise, it can lower your blood pressure, improve your immunity and even decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke.

• April 12, 2017 / 12:03 pm

Honestly Victoria I have always had pets in my life and as someone who has Type 1 diabetes – and was diagnosed way before we had the modern tech and medicine of today I swear my pets have kept me healthier over the years. We have one we call our “healer kitty” she literally knows when someone is not feeling well and takes care of them. ALSO my cats have always woke me up when my blood sugar was low while I was sleeping.
      I agree with your comment 1000000%!

4. Kathy
    April 12, 2017 / 10:25 am

I love that they make a month for this. Pets are amazing! I have three cats of my own.

• April 12, 2017 / 11:58 am

Kitties are amazing! They each have such distinct personalities! Love mine – I have 3 as well!

5. April 12, 2017 / 11:05 am

I love my furbaby and feel that he is one of the family. He loves to go for car rides and I love to take him when I can.

Since we moved, I need to get him on flea treatment. We used to not have very many issues with fleas. I usually used the topical drops.
    uprunforlife recently posted…100+ Gym Hairstyles for Long HairMy Profile

• April 12, 2017 / 11:57 am

Indeed some areas the fleas and other pests are far more rampant. Lyla loves her car rides too! We try to give her 2 a week, sometimes we just can’t but she always gets at least 1. Give your furbaby some snuggles for me please.

6. April 12, 2017 / 12:04 pm

Thank you for sharing all this great info for April! I am right there with you in breaking the windows when a pet’s life is at risk!

7. April 12, 2017 / 2:03 pm

I had no idea this month was National Pet Month. So great to be reminded of all of the things we need to look out for when we have pets.

8. April 12, 2017 / 2:33 pm

My little one got SO ill on the heartworm preventative stuff…. going to have to find another solution I just can’t do that to him again.

• April 12, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I am so sorry Sonja! That is horrible. Yes the heartworm medicines are like any human medicine. Any dog could have an adverse reaction to one but not another. I know how you feel though and the fear of trying a different one.
      There are pet naturalists who may have other options for your pet.

9. April 12, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Super important information. People need to be extra diligent about their pets’ needs now that the temps (and bug populations) are rising.
    Debbie Bailey recently posted…Fun Easter Games for DogsMy Profile

• April 12, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Exactly! In some areas the bugs are super thick! It only takes one to cause damage to our pets. The heat is a real killer! We need to keep our pets well hydrated and cool!

10. April 12, 2017 / 3:31 pm

Omg I had no idea pets had their own month! I have two fur babies of my own. I will have to think of some ways to celebrate this month with them

11. April 12, 2017 / 4:52 pm

A lot of good reminders here–even if we know this stuff it is easy to get busy and forget some of it. I wonder if there is a pet CPR class in my area, I think that would be such a great thing to know. I’d like to know more about what to do when your pet is chocking–that has happened with my Dachshunds a couple of times.

So yes, great reminders here.

• April 12, 2017 / 6:16 pm

It sure is easy to forget or get out of date on our knowledge.
      I think there are at least some youtube CPR courses but I would love to go to a hands on course!
      Oh Dachshunds have such tiny mouths and throats! That would be terrifying!

12. April 12, 2017 / 4:55 pm

So many important things to remember this month! Heartworm Awareness is so important. It is such an issue here that they have to test for it as soon as dogs end up at the shelter. Prevention is so much easier to deal with and for dogs to deal with. Thank you for the reminder and helping to create awareness in other pet owners.

I will admit that I am woefully behind on my pet first aid. I can handle our frog encounters, things getting stuck in their paws, eye drops for eye scratches but I wouldn’t stumble through CPR. I know that there are classes and I really should at least watch a youtube video in case of emergency.
    Felissa (Two Little Cavaliers) recently posted…Two Little Cavaliers Visit #TractorSupply and Stock Up On Purina ProductsMy Profile

• April 12, 2017 / 6:15 pm

I have not taken CPR either and I need to! I hope that if they are positive for heartworm that they get help and not put down 🙁 Don’t tell me if it is bad news! I would love to see you doing first aid on a frog! I would not know how at all lol but I have saved bunnies!

• April 12, 2017 / 6:13 pm

That is so sad to hear. Too bad they came to shelter but at least they will get treated there!

• April 12, 2017 / 11:28 pm

Great timing! Lyla just took hers Monday. Me too I really need to take CPR.

13. April 12, 2017 / 6:26 pm

Love your new logo – think it is new?

I didn’t know it was Heartworm Awareness Month. Wish I had known as I just had a fundraiser for three dogs that have heart worm. Fortunately, raised enough for all three of their treatments.

• April 12, 2017 / 11:28 pm

Oh I wish you had known too but I am glad you made enough money to help them all! Yes the logo is new – about 2 weeks ago it went up, I think. I have no concept of time lol. Thank you for the compliment on it! They really did a great job capturing Lylas little shape.

• April 12, 2017 / 11:26 pm

Yes! No matter how much we may know – there is more to learn and things change rapidly. Thank you SO much I still can’t stop looking at it. They really capture my precious Lyla so very well!

14. April 12, 2017 / 10:10 pm

My kitties are my babies! They both actually have vet appointments in 2 weeks! We make sure to routinely get them checked out

• April 12, 2017 / 11:25 pm

That is so awesome that you take great care of them! Perfect timing for their appointments too!

• April 13, 2017 / 11:47 am

We are in the same place then. I need to call our local humane society too and get in a class!

15. Tami Qualls
    April 13, 2017 / 6:23 am

We have three pets, one being outside. We are careful in making sure he has fresh water everyday.

• April 13, 2017 / 11:46 am

That is so good to hear! Outside pets need a place to get shade and stay cool and plenty of water.

16. April 13, 2017 / 7:25 am

I love that its national pet month. Actually everyday is pet day to me. This is a great time to bring awareness to so many issued pets face. Thanks for this post!

17. April 13, 2017 / 9:20 am

With every seasonal change, there is a lot to think about keeping pets safe. And you are right, it is important to stay current with the best ways to treat emergencies.
    Beth Patterson recently posted…Engaging Tails: Toby the Terrier MixMy Profile

• April 14, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Indeed and you would probably end up doing most of the work! It is smart to wait until you are ready Marielle.

18. rika
    April 16, 2017 / 11:03 pm

We have to take care our pets! I would love to adopt more pets, give them love and to protect them.

19. April 17, 2017 / 2:38 am

I cannot imagine life without my animals at home. Didnt know that april was first aid month thank you for creating awareness

• April 17, 2017 / 12:25 pm

So happy to help spread awareness. I could not imagine life without animals either.