National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day #AdoptAShelterPetDay

I can not remember a time in my life when I did not have an animal in it.

I’m not a cat person or a dog person, I am an animal person.

National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day is April 30th.

National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day April 30th Please Adopt

Most all of my pets over my lifetime have come from a shelter.

I never had any problems with any of them. Nothing other than the normal issues that come with aging or animal behavior in general. Never anything terrible such as biting, attacking, fighting, or the sort.

Even animals that are bred from strong bloodlines can have serious issues and complications.

Before you adopt there are some things you should know about pets in general. This is very important if you have never owned a pet before.

I would love for you to read a few other articles I have written.

The first is How To Be A Great Pet Parent.

In this article, I give some easy tips on you guess it, how to be a great pet parent.

The next article is called Why Routine Is Important To Your Pets.

This article goes more in-depth than the first one I linked. It is wonderful if you are already a pet owner as well.

Just as if you were preparing for a baby to join the family, you want to be armed with helpful information. My article about Pet Poison Prevention has information you will want to have on hand.

One way in which you can help spread awareness of the importance of adopting is to share your rescued pet on social media using the hashtag #AdoptAShelterPetDay

#AdoptAShelterPetDay

If you love pets, but can not adopt, consider volunteering at your local shelter.

This is a wonderful way to get some furry snuggles in without the responsibility of pet ownership.

I do not recommend adopting a pet to be taken lightly.

The last thing we want is for an animal to have to be returned to the shelter!

This can be terribly upsetting to the family having to return the pet.

It is also equally damaging to the animal.

You may see a lot of social media encouraging you to go out and get a new pet.

Just please, be sure you are truly ready.

If you are, please go save a pet!

The articles I linked above are a great place to start to discover if you are truly ready for a furry animal friend to join your family.

Do you have pets? Did you adopt? Will you be adopting a new furry friend soon?

Please leave a comment and let me know.

1. April 27, 2017 / 2:39 pm

We always adopt from the local shelter. We have been blessed with each one of our dogs. Sometimes is hard to understand why someone gave them away

• April 27, 2017 / 11:02 pm

I know. I mean I get it that sometimes an elderly person passes and there is no one who can take the pet, I guess. I mean I would move heaven and earth to keep a pet of a family members out of the shelter! But everyone has their own circumstances. Regardless it is always sad to see how many pets are in there. I am so glad you adopt! Thank you!

2. April 27, 2017 / 3:19 pm

We don’t have any pets at the moment, but if we ever get any, we’ll adopt. There are so many great animals out there who need homes.
    Vera Sweeney recently posted…2017 Kia Sorento ReviewMy Profile

• April 27, 2017 / 11:00 pm

Indeed Vera that is so very true! Thank you for adopting if you ever get a fur friend.

• April 27, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Exactly Bill and you know what – I think it is wonderful that you know your lives are not set up right now for pets! So many people rush into getting a pet and realize too late that their lifestyle – or whatever makes it hard to own one. It is beautiful to hear that you would adopt though. Thank you!

3. April 27, 2017 / 5:17 pm

I have two shelter pets and I love them to pieces. I think I have room in my heart for more too!
    Tamara recently posted…I Do. I Did. I Confess.My Profile

• April 27, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Tamara, shelter pets are amazing. It’s like they know they got a second chance in life. THANK YOU for adopting! Sounds like you may be tempted for another soon. That makes me smile.

4. April 27, 2017 / 9:35 pm

We have adopted our dog Finn who is a lab/hound mix from a shelter. We adore him so much. We fell instantly in love with him at the shelter and knew he was the one.

• April 27, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Aweee isn’t it wonderful when you just KNOW. Give Finn some cuddles for me please. Thank you for adopting!

5. Rebecca Swenor
    April 28, 2017 / 2:17 am

I have adopted a dog before and he was the best dog. The dog I have now I was only suppose to foster for training him but I ended up falling in love with the little guy. I have had him for 8 yrs now. Adoption is something everyone wanting a pet should do. There are so many pets that need forever homes. Thanks for sharing the information.

• April 28, 2017 / 1:15 pm

It is hard not to fall in love with them isn’t it! I do not think I could foster. I would keep them all lol

6. April 28, 2017 / 3:40 am

We have two dogs, 4 rabbits, and a guinea pig. We adopted some of them too. There are so many animals in the shelter for adoption and buying is just a waste of money.

7. April 28, 2017 / 4:53 am

My other half and I are considering getting a pet from a shelter. Our kids have been wanting a pet for a while, and we want to give a pet a home. We are not sure whether to get a dog or a cat, but we will be adding to our family soon.

8. Victoria Heckstall
    April 28, 2017 / 6:32 am

National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day is observed each year on April 30. This day was created as a way to raise awareness for thousands of pets that are waiting for .

• April 28, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Correct! Waiting on new forever homes. I hope all the pets get adopted!

9. April 28, 2017 / 8:04 am

MY dog Mugsy has been adopted from a shelter. After working with death row animals for 4 years I know the importance of adoption.
    Melissa Dixon recently posted…How to Make Almond MilkMy Profile

• April 28, 2017 / 1:12 pm

This weekend should be the perfect weekend! Depends on your shelter but they may be having special events!

• April 28, 2017 / 1:07 pm

Natalie so sorry you did not get to grow up with a pet. I am so glad you are going to have one soon!

10. April 29, 2017 / 8:20 am

I do think it’s important to adopt. But I don’t think everyone should, I probably shouldn’t have. I didn’t realize my cat’s dental cleanings were going to cost $400 every six months. That’s something I don’t do because only until now has it ever been brought up to me that they need dental cleanings and to give them a cleaning you have to knock them out each time. In years past no vet has ever said anything about that. But because of this expense, this will be the one thing that prevents me from adopting again. It’s really sad. Not everyone has the means to shell out money like that for an animal. But I do hope that the people who can, do.
    Heather recently posted…Top Power Tower Tips: Exercising More Parts of Your Body at OnceMy Profile

• April 29, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Indeed! That is why I made sure to link to another article I wrote about how to be a Great Pet Parent. There is MUCH responsibility in pet ownership that we do not always know about, or think of. You point is strong and I agree 100%. Our Lyla is scheduled for a dental on the 5th and yes it is 200.00 and that is if they find nothing wrong!

11. Adaleta
    May 1, 2017 / 9:06 am

I did not know this, animals are so wonderful. They bring a lot of happiness and love into our lives, we need to give it back to them.

12. Krystal
    May 1, 2017 / 9:25 am

I am a BIG fan of adopting NOT shopping! All of our pets were rescued.

• May 2, 2017 / 1:09 pm

It sure is. Even if you are not into having pets yourself I doubt anyone wants to see pets without good homes.