Pet Poison Prevention Week Information

March 19 through 25 is Pet Poison Prevention Week. When your pet is a member of your family, you want to be sure they are safe. There are many common household substances that are dangerous for pets. Some are mildly toxic, while others can be deadly. There are also dangers lurking in nature that your pets may come in contact with.

I want to mention the following quickly. In case anyone has come across this article while searching due to a poison emergency

The Pet Poison Helpline Number is:

1-855-764-7661

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Number is:

1-888-426-4435

BOTH charge a fee!

It may be desirable to call your own vet. If your vet office is closed call a local emergency vet clinic. If your veterinarian is open it may be best to take your pet right in. Better safe than sorry when it comes to a potential poison situation.

Pet Poison Prevention

In order to be certain your pets are safe, it is good to have some basic knowledge about poison potentials.

Poison is everywhere when it comes to your pets.

From walnuts to mushrooms, to rodent traps, if there is a poison danger, your curious pet could come into contact.

The best thing to do for your pets is more research. While I am listing some of the most common poisonous substances your pet may encounter, it is by no means all-inclusive.

Personally, I was shocked when doing research for my pets just how many plants are poisonous!

Also, the type of pet you have makes a difference.

The best thing I can do for you is to link you to the best list I found. I like this list because it contains images to help you identify the plants.

Poisonous Plants to Pets

Household products, medications, and beauty products can also poison our pets.

Essential Oils can be toxic. I use essential oils regularly and am very careful about using them around my pets. Carpet fresheners, which many pet owners use to help prevent odor can be poison to your pets. Fabric Softener sheets can be a danger, as well as toilet cleaning tablets.

The most common manner in which pets become poisoned is from human food and medications. Always keep your medications out of areas your pets have access. It is always best to never feed your pets human food. If you do, be sure you stay away from the following:

Xylitol, Alcohol, Chocolate, Caffeine, Grapes and Raisins, Nuts, Onions, Garlic and Chives, to name only a few human foods unsafe for your pets.

Xylitol is perhaps the worst and can be found in many human foods pets love, such as peanut butter.

We also want to consider poisons that your pet could come into contact with outside.

Lawn fertilizers, weed killers, rodent traps, and walnuts that have dropped from trees are all poison to pets.

It is frightening when one considers just how many everyday items can cause harm to your furry family member!

Again, please do not use this article as the end all be all source of information. I would have to start a whole other blog or website to cover all the toxic and dangerous substances to animals.

The best resources I have found thus far is Animal Poison Control via ASPCA. I like this site because of the user-friendly nature. It provides quick information. The other resource is the Pet Poison Helpline website. I love their alphabetic poison list from A to Z which I have linked.

According to Pet Poison Helpline, the 4 things you need to do if you believe your pet has been poisoned are:

1. Evaluate – try to determine what has potentially poisoned your pet.
  2. Call the Pet Poison Hotline (or your vet, or the ASPCA Poison Control).
  3. Do not give anything to induce vomiting or otherwise, unless instructed.
  4. Get to the vet. (this could be #2 if more convenient and your vet office is open).

It is my belief the number 1 thing we should all do is prevention!

After reading this article, do more homework! Research, recover items in and outside of your home that may be a threat. Be mindful of medications around your home. Do yard checks daily. Be aware of cleaning products and makeup items you use.

Performing research for your specific pet is helpful. Dogs and cats have different sensitivities, as do farm animals and other household pets.

Awareness is vital. Educating yourself is key. Animals are defenseless against the toxins we humans use. It is our responsibility as pet parents that we ensure their safety.

Thank you for reading and please spread the word!

I would love any comments on this topic. If you have information I have not shared, please do so in the comments. The more knowledge we all share the better our pets will be!

Please Share

• March 9, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Thank goodness he is alright! It is hard keeping them away from things they want. We had to put our trash can inside the pantry. Not my favorite place to keep it but we had to. It was not our dog but one of our CATS that kept tipping the trash can over! LOL

1. Cacinda
    March 9, 2017 / 5:17 pm

It is always so scary when the dog eats something she shouldn’t. This is a lot of great information that dog owners should all know. I didn’t know that they couldn’t have garlic, thank you!

2. March 9, 2017 / 6:15 pm

Thank you for posting about this. I didn’t realize walnuts were poisonous to our dogs. We have a black walnut tree out front but they do not have access to them. I also did not realize onions were bad for dogs. I have dropped onion pieces on the floor before but they walk away from them so I figured they just didn’t like them.

I am happy to have read your post and learned things I didn’t know before.

• March 9, 2017 / 8:30 pm

Glad they do not have access! Yes we have walnuts all over our yard. We have to pick them up constantly. Lucky for us our Lyla has NO interest in them but we still pick them up. Sooo many things are toxic to animals. It is hard to stay up to date on them all. Thanks for reading and glad it helped!

3. March 10, 2017 / 6:50 am

Such an important topic. Number #3 Do not give anything to induce vomiting or otherwise, unless instructed. Is so important. So many times people think vomiting is the solution when it may make things worse. Great post.

4. March 10, 2017 / 7:48 am

Wow, this list is very helpful. We have a dog and two cats and I had no idea that some of these were dangerous for them. I think I’ll print this list and share it with my family. I’m sure they are also unaware.

• March 10, 2017 / 12:45 pm

There are just so many things that are bad for our pets! It’s scary! Good idea to print the list and share! Thank you so much for looking out for the furry creatures.

5. March 10, 2017 / 9:25 am

Yesterday Mishu was drinking bad river water, although I told her NO.

• March 10, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Oh no we need Mishu safe! Who else is going to give out all that great advice!?

6. March 10, 2017 / 10:17 am

Great information for pet owners. Our indoor cats seem to get into everything which is why we have to be super careful with the plants and food that they can get too. I will make sure to keep this info handy.
    Censie Sawyer recently posted…The Easiest Baked Donut Holes EverMy Profile

• March 10, 2017 / 12:48 pm

So happy to help on the information. There is a lot to learn! I am still learning.

7. March 10, 2017 / 10:39 am

Being the owner of a pet is a huge responsibility and it takes a lot to care for their physical and mental health. Thanks for sharing this article, I didn’t know that air fresheners and a whole lot of other things are poisonous for pets.

• March 10, 2017 / 12:44 pm

You are SO right Sandy!! Yes it is scary how many things can harm our pets. I keep learning more and more too.

8. March 10, 2017 / 3:54 pm

I agree with you about prevention being the best way to deal with poison and pets. I’ve had a couple of mischievous cats who gave me more than one scare. One ate an ant trap which had me frantically dialing poison control, thankfully it wasn’t poisonous, his brother knocked over a bottle of vitamins, ate some and after a mad dash to the vet found out he was fine as well. Must run in the family!! Thanks for the very important reminder that many things can be dangerous to our pets, and a watchful eye is key.

• March 10, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Oh my! LOL yes this does seem to run in the family! Those cats!! Hahaha I am so glad they were both fine but what a scare for you!

9. March 10, 2017 / 6:58 pm

This is a great list of toxic things that are common and may not be immediately considered. I’m happy to have the resources you’ve listed as well. The carpet freshner you mention, as well as cleansers are easily overlooked. My dogs once got sick in a let friendly hotel room, we believe due to the cleansers they used. Pets spend a lot of time on the floor, so those chemicals are right in their face!
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

• March 11, 2017 / 12:35 am

Awee I am sorry your furbaby got sick while traveling. That is the worst time for that to happen! I did not know about fabric softener sheets until I researched for this article! Just so many things that are harmful to our little furkids!

10. Ali Rost
    March 10, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Thank-you so much for your post! With six pets at home I’m bookmarking it for sure. While we are diligent .. there’s always something they’re getting into. I especially appreciated the tips about plants .. those are the kinds of things I don’t always think about

11. March 10, 2017 / 10:44 pm

This is a great resource for pet owners! We must be responsible for our pets’ safety always. We keep our medicines out of reach of children and pets. Household cleaning materials are all kept in child and pet proof cabinets. I knew about the thing with onions, but I never thought walnuts was harmful to them too!

• March 11, 2017 / 12:32 am

I am so glad that you were able to learn something new from my post. Oh indeed keeping pets AND children safe is a must. It sounds like you have a good solid way to make sure all are safe.

12. March 11, 2017 / 1:10 am

Mr. N is super picky which I think contributes to him not eating strange things. He basically believes that if it’s not meat or dairy, it shouldn’t go in his mouth! A good leave it and drop it are key.

13. March 11, 2017 / 8:21 am

Sadly, many of the cleaning products pet owners use are toxic. As you mention, carpet cleaners, essential oils, as well as every day cleaners. Easy for a pet to walk across a freshly cleaned carpet and then lick their paws. Prevention is best – be careful everybody!

• March 12, 2017 / 12:18 pm

Exactly!! And we can DO something about it too. The really scary part is that a pup can pick up something as natural and wide spread as mushroom spores on their paws, lick them become terminally ill. There are so many dangers lurking and all they have are their humans to help them. We need to spread the word and share what we know. Thank you so much for your comment.

14. March 11, 2017 / 9:50 am

Thank you for spreading awareness about pet poisons and toxins. I appreciate that you added these are different for each type of pet you own. For instance, avocados are deadly for parrots.
    We as pet parents have a duty to keep our babies safe ❤

• March 12, 2017 / 12:16 pm

See, there is so much to learn! I have a hard time keeping up and I make an effort so yes spreading and sharing what we each know is so good. Thank you Jane!

• March 12, 2017 / 12:16 pm

Thank you Aileen. I am sorry that you have not been able to have a pet in a long time BUT I am also thankful you know that you do not have enough time for one right now. That is a good person and responsible pet owner – or non pet owner.

15. March 11, 2017 / 12:43 pm

You’re absolutely right – prevention is key! It’s amazing how many regular household items are poisonous to our pets. And so many people don’t even realize it! Thanks for sharing this important information!

• March 12, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Right? I check in on this many times a year and I am always learning something new.

16. March 11, 2017 / 1:11 pm

This is great information that I will be passing on to all my friends who have pets. This is so important for pet owners (and anyone) to be aware of. Whether it’s pets or humans, a lot of people don’t approach poison victim correctly (great tip about not inducing vomitting!) Thanks again for sharing this awesome information!
    Alyssa @ A Bite of Inspiration recently posted…Mediterranean Grilled Chicken PastaMy Profile

• March 12, 2017 / 12:14 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this information. I want to be sure it reaches as many people as possible. It is hard to keep up with all the potentially harmful things to pets out there. The list is LONG!

17. March 11, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I’ve thankfully had only one scare with one of my pets. My toy poodle got ahold of a Dove chocolate. Rushed her to vet and they induced all was ok. Thanks for the info. It’s so important to always be vigilant, pets can act fast and nab bad food for them before we even realize it.

18. March 12, 2017 / 8:12 am

Kilo the Pug stole and ate a tray of dark chocolate and walnut brownies in his third week with us- we did not realize how greedy and resourceful he is and how high he can jump. We went to the vet immediately and he was made to vomit and given charcoal. However a year later, he stole and ate an onion quiche from a bag on a counter while I was out. When I got home, I called my vet and he suggested I call the Emergency Hotline. They were so good. I paid $65 and a vet analyzed his risk based on time passed, his size, his age, and the amount he had eaten. They have so many case studies so he was able to make an informed recommendation on treatment in a very timely manner. Kilo was fine and we are extra careful.
    Talent Hounds recently posted…20 Dog Photos To Put You In The Christmas Spirit-Instagram SpotlightMy Profile

• March 12, 2017 / 12:12 pm

That Kilo! What a mischievous guy! I am so glad in both cases he was safe! I am so glad that the Emergency hotline helped! $65 isn’t free but it is probably less than a trip to the vet, and our pets are so worth it!

19. March 12, 2017 / 3:29 pm

There is nothing scarier than when your dog gets into something toxic and I so appreciate all the information you have included in this post. I had no idea that the most common types of pet poisoning are from human foods and medication! I would have assumed a plant or household cleaner. Thankfully, I have only had to call the hotline one time when one of my dogs ate an entire bag of lemon echinacea cough drops. I did have one dog years ago who ate an entire tray of brownies, which was the day I realized that she was big enough to reach the counter! Thankfully, she was fine though my daughter’s 3rd grade class was disapppointed 😉
    Sarcastic Dog recently posted…7 ways to help pit bulls in your community todayMy Profile

• March 12, 2017 / 6:12 pm

I am sorry I also meant to say I am so glad your pup got through that scare and was well.

• March 12, 2017 / 6:15 pm

Oh wow! Those cough drops must have tasted good to them! I am so glad that your dogs were okay after those scares! Oh boy lol I bet that the kids were not thrilled!

20. March 12, 2017 / 5:36 pm

We learned the hard way about poisonous plants, a new puppy nearly died after chewing on a Hydrangea. I don’t plant anything that isn’t safe for dogs in my backyard anymore.

You can’t be too careful when it comes to poison prevention!

• March 12, 2017 / 6:11 pm

Exactly! I have a plant in a pot that I received as a gift several months back. It is no where pets can get at it and has went to dry bulb now but I had planned to plant it in my yard. I did my research and as much as I love it – I will NOT be planting it! Granted my cats are inside cats, and I was not planting it anywhere our Lyla could come in contact with it BUT I am not planting it for other people’s pets that may, or strays. You are right – one can not be too careful!

21. March 12, 2017 / 5:42 pm

It is scary how many things around a typical home are poisonous to pets. Human medications have a 2-fold danger. First is the potential that your pets will accidentally get a hold of them if they are dropped or misplaced. Second, and I fear even worse, is that people will intentionally give them to pets thinking they will help the pets in the same way they help humans. I would be terrified if one of my kitties ever ate one of my pills.

• March 12, 2017 / 6:09 pm

Oh I hear you on this!! I make certain our human medications are no where close to the doggie or kitty medicines. That does scare me!

22. March 12, 2017 / 7:48 pm

I never really thought about my cats eating something they shouldn’t until I got Truffle. Her worst offense is eating the black plastic bags. She will chew off a corner and it’s gotten stuck in her throat. Luckily, she coughed it up or to the emergency vet we would go. I do my best to make sure human food and medication is out of reach.

• March 13, 2017 / 2:08 pm

Oh no! I am glad she is okay! What a strange thing to want to eat! I wonder if some yummy smelly food got on the bag.

23. March 13, 2017 / 1:09 pm

So so scary!!!! Thanks for the awareness post!