International Day Of Happiness 10 Ways Pets Make Us Happy

Monday, March 20th is International Day of Happiness. You can take the pledge to create more happiness in the world on the Internation Day of Happiness webpage. I took the pledge. I am happy that I did!

International Happiness Day Logo

Sign up and become a Happiness Hero!

So just how is it that pets can make us happy?

10 Ways Pets Make Us Happy

10 Ways Pets Make Us Happy:

Cuddles

Pets make us happy when they snuggle us with wet noses, sloppy licks, and snuggly, furry cuddles. Every day my pets make me smile. I am thankful for their warmth on cold nights. When you have a pet never feel alone.

Being Needed

We all want to be needed. Having someone or something depending on us gives us a sense of worth. Since a pet depends on you for everything you feel value in knowing you are doing your best to care for them.

Staying on Schedule

Pets won’t let you sleep past feeding time. Animals have their own internal time clock. My day can be planned around my pet’s needs. If I have specific tasks at specific times, my pets often remind me to get them done.

Exercise and Fresh Air

Truth be told, I might not leave my home all week long if not for my dog Lyla. Walking your dog is a wonderful exercise for both of you. The benefits from sunlight and fresh air are incredible. This is something most of us do not get enough of.

Unconditional Love

This one is self-explanatory. Who doesn’t want unconditional love? The emotional benefits our pets give us are insurmountable. Knowing that no matter how imperfect we may be, there is a little bundle of fur looking up at us like we are nothing short of perfection. What an amazing feeling.

Safety / Security

The bark of even the smallest dog can create enough fear in a potential thief. When people see a larger dog in your yard they think twice about encroaching your home. Just having a cat or dog by your side gives you a sense of feeling secure emotionally. Even cuddling a hampster can make you feel more self-assured.

Comfort

Emotional support is something that pets are known for. Many people have therapy pets that give them a sense of comfort and emotional security. Pets sense when you are upset, or when you are sick. Nothing is more healing than a pet showing concern for your wellbeing.

Healing

Speaking of the above, pets can bring about healing. The mind-body connection is tightly knit. We can heal faster when we are cared for. When a pet senses our illness and snuggles into us, they bring about joy that helps us heal faster.

Companionship

Pets are especially important if you live alone. My husband often travels for work. If not for my pets, I would be miserable. Not that I do not enjoy my own company, but an empty house can become very lonely. When you have a pet in your home you will never feel alone.

Youthfulness

Pets keep us on our toes! In many ways pets keep us feeling young and spry. From giving them walks and getting our exercise to chasing your cats around when they get outside. Pets keep us active.

If you have a pet how does he or she make you happy? Are you going to take the pledge and become a Happiness Hero with me?

1. Jennifer Van Huss
    March 19, 2017 / 12:06 pm

Dogs make the best pets!! It feels so lonely when there is no animals in my house. They truly make a house a home!

• March 19, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I agree! I don’t know what life would be like without mine and I do not want to find out.

2. March 19, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Our different pets were always more family members. We mourn every single one who grew old and passed. We have happy memories and fun photos.

• March 19, 2017 / 6:04 pm

Same here Candy. We lost 2 dogs in one year and the following year 2 cats. Two very hard years in a row. I totally understand how you feel.

3. March 19, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Aww, what a perfect post to see today! My husband and I baked our dog a cake for his first birthday.
    Katie Kinsley recently posted…FRIDAY FIVE | 10My Profile

4. March 19, 2017 / 3:21 pm

We LOVE animals and have rescued 5 so there is a lot of happiness in our household.

5. Leigh Anne Borders
    March 19, 2017 / 5:52 pm

Our pets mean the world to us and bring us so much happiness. Their unconditional love can’t be beat. I celebrated International Day of Happiness at one of our local shopping areas. We signed pledge cards.

• March 19, 2017 / 6:02 pm

How cool! I have not seen the cards to sign up anywhere but I am glad to know they are out there! Yes pets are amazing. I would never want to be without mine.

6. March 19, 2017 / 6:49 pm

I miss having a dog. Having pets is a great way to stay happy and joyful.

7. Anita Anderson
    March 19, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I do not have any pets. I do know that pets help us heal and give us that serenity when we need them the most.

• March 19, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Aweee Shih Tzu are sooo cute and I clearly love Pom’s since our Lyla is part Pom. Oh I bet they just have tons of love and cuddles for you.

8. Rebecca Swenor
    March 20, 2017 / 3:52 am

I do have to admit that my pets do make me happy. My dog loves to cuddle and is always there for me especially when I have them really rough days. I also have a leopard gecko which I love to watch because she always makes me smile. Thanks for sharing the ten ways pets make us happy and the international day of Happiness.

• March 20, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Awee I think it is so wonderful that you have a gecko! I love reptiles!!! Pets can be all sorts, and I love that you mentioned your gecko here. Dogs are so intuitive and sweet to us. Thank you for sharing this.

• March 20, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Indeed Terri our pets ARE family. Much joy to you and your pets on this International Day of Happiness.

9. Ave
    March 20, 2017 / 4:48 pm

I had no idea that today is an International Day of Happiness! Will note it down on my calendar for the next year. We don’t have pets at the moment but our friends and family have them so whenever we have a chance we spend some time with their pets.

• March 20, 2017 / 6:21 pm

Oh I love it when I find new things to schedule content about! It makes blogging so much easier to have great topics ready to go! You can do about anything you want with Happiness Day and it is such a wonderful thing to write about because it can spread joy to others. My favorite type of topic! It’s wonderful to spend time with other’s pets. The pets love the added attention! Happy Happiness day! LOL

10. March 20, 2017 / 9:05 pm

I had no idea today was the International Day of Happiness! I have to say, some days my dog is the only thing that makes me happy. I don’t know what I would do without him.

11. March 21, 2017 / 1:32 pm

I miss having a pet. Some day I’ll get a cat again when my living situation is better.

• March 21, 2017 / 3:24 pm

It is wise of you to wait until the time is right Diana. I hope it can happen soon for you.

12. March 24, 2017 / 1:10 am

Our pets becomes family members over time and indeed they make us happy. Now, I miss having a pet.