Hy-Vee Freezer Deal 2017

Have you heard about the Hy-Vee Freezer Deal that is offered once a year in March? I hadn’t until my daughter tagged me in a Facebook post!

Every year in March Hy-Vee offers a deal where if you buy a deep freezer from them for $189.00 you receive a coupon book of free food items totaling $200.o0 USD.

Of course being a skeptic, I was hesitant. Questions flooded my mind.

What type of free food ideas does one receive when buying this freezer?

How long are the coupons good for?

What if the items are all sold out?

Are these even items I would really use?

Is the freezer any good?

and so on …

My husband and I discussed it and decided that we would go for it if one were still available the next day. We decided to let fate play a hand. If it was meant to be, there would still be a freezer left for us since neither of us felt like rushing out to get one.

Hy-Vee Freezer Fill Up Deal 2017

The next day I went directly to the Customer Service counter to inquire. As fate would have it, there were four left.

HyVeeFreezerDeal

I paid for mine right there at customer service and received my coupon book. A Hy-Vee staff member brought the freezer to the front of the store, then helped my husband load it into our van.

HyVee Freezer 5.5 CF

A little backstory: My husband and I had previously been interested in buying a small freezer. My husband and I order from Schwan’s sometimes and could use the freezer space. We also like to buy in bulk, and usually only go to the store once or twice a month. Personally, we have a need for a deep freezer. Unless you have a need for an extra freezer this deal may not be great for you. Then again, it never hurts to have one, and considering it is more or less free once you count the food coupons, it is a good deal!

Now yes, you can get a similar freezer for about $40 less if you buy it outright. So you have to really consider if you want to pay a little more for the food coupons. My husband and I love deals. We figure either way you look at it, we received either food or the freezer free, obviously not both since we did pay $189.00.

Freezer 5.5 CF From HyVee

We could have spent around $149.00 and just came home with a freezer.

The freezer is a 5.5 cubic foot chest model. It has temp settings but is not self-defrosting.

Inside the 5.5 CF Commercial Cool Chest Freezer

The brand name is Commercial Cool. I found it on other sites listed for over $250.00!

Commercial Cool Freezer

What types of food coupons did we receive?

I was surprised to find that we did not only receive frozen food coupons!

Some items included in our booklet were:

Frozen Pizzas, frozen Dairy treats from ice cream bars to gelato, artisan bread, sauces, meatballs, chicken wings and thighs, veggies, frozen single meals, and so much more.

Free Coupons From Hyvee With Freezer Purchase

I was going to list out every coupon but there are simply too many. Besides next year they could be totally different. What I can say is that we both feel we got a great deal.

You can call your local Hy-Vee and see if there are any freezers left this year. If there are no more this year, this article may help you be more prepared for next year’s deal.

Today my husband and I are headed back out to the store to do our shopping and fill up the new freezer!

Note: This is not a sponsored post. I just wanted to share a great deal with all of you.

Would you get this deal? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

1. Tammy Mentzer
    March 13, 2017 / 1:40 pm

What a great deal!!!! I’m going to look into it! T

• March 13, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Thanks! I was hesitant to get it but am glad I did. The coupons are great!

2. March 13, 2017 / 1:44 pm

This is such a great deal! I am pretty sure my sister has a freezer very similar to this. And $200 in free coupons?! That’s awesome!

3. March 13, 2017 / 4:27 pm

How awesome a fully stocked freezer for the same price as an empty one – it’s a no-brainer! I love having a full freezer as I know I’ll always have something on hand for dinner – this is such a great offer!
    Emma recently posted…Healthy Chocolate BrowniesMy Profile

• March 13, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Right!? I thought it was a no brainer too – or at least after checking on what the free coupons were for haha. I too love having “extra” around – with adult kids I never know when I am going to need to make a larger meal!

4. March 13, 2017 / 5:59 pm

That was a great deal. It’s about what I paid for my deep freezer of the same size but I didn’t get a coupon for free food. Actually I needed a bigger freezer because I went to a local butcher with the intent to purchase half a cow but that was way too much meat for my freezer. I ended up with a good meat package for about $150. I like to buy in bulk at least for my meat products and then I cut it to portions at home.
    Richard Bivins recently posted…10 eCourse Ideas for Travel BloggersMy Profile

• March 14, 2017 / 11:10 am

Buying local is so much better than buying factory farmed meat! Better for you AND the animals alike! Great idea!

5. March 13, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Oooo now that really is one killer deal!!! I should look into getting one for myself!

• March 14, 2017 / 11:09 am

If you have a local Hy-Vee just call and ask them if they have any left! It is a great deal!

6. March 13, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Interesting article. I wish all freezers gave these types of coupons. I think more folks would purchase.

• March 14, 2017 / 11:09 am

Indeed I think they would too! I doubt we would have done it had we not actually been in the market – but it was such a great deal!

7. March 13, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Oh wow that is a great deal. I would love to buy another freezer.

8. March 13, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Our chest freezer died not long ago.. if we had a Hyvee here, or a store that offered a similar deal, I would JUMP at the chance to snag it!!

9. March 13, 2017 / 9:26 pm

Here in my country we don’t get those awesome deals but I’ll tell my grandparents that live in US to get it

• March 14, 2017 / 11:07 am

So sorry you do not get deals like this where you live. I hope your Grandparents are able to snag one!

10. March 13, 2017 / 10:19 pm

That is an amazing deal! I would have gone after it in a heartbeat!

• March 14, 2017 / 11:06 am

Oh I would totally give them a call and ask! Glad you got a Hy-Vee! It is a very nice grocery store for sure!

11. March 14, 2017 / 9:26 pm

This is great! Ty for sharing this deal!! Hubby was just talking about getting one but I said heck no we live and travel in an RV lol

• March 15, 2017 / 12:19 am

Haha! I have no idea how one would even fit unless it is a nice large RV! However, living on the road, would be nice to have a freezer stocked with food!
      I have always been interested in RV life. My husband and I talk about doing that one day!

12. March 18, 2017 / 9:36 am

Wow, this really is a great deal. And the coupons are all useful – not just useless stuff that nobody uses. If I were in the US right now, I’d totally look in to it!

• March 18, 2017 / 4:50 pm

We JUST got home from getting our free food! Really happy with what we got.

13. Kenneth Woltz
    May 30, 2017 / 3:08 pm

Awesome deal, we picked ours up too! Anyone else having issues with it leaking oil? Ours has started to leak oil from the compressor. Only a few months old! Had to call to get it replaced. Will see how the replacement process goes. Trying to eat all the food we have it in now……

• May 30, 2017 / 5:29 pm

Let me know how the replacement goes please. I have not had any issues with mine luckily! I am hopeful that your situation was pure bad luck and not a “known issue”. Not that I wish you bad luck lol but you know what I mean right? Anyway please update us and let us know. Happy you came by today! Thanks for commenting.