Happy St. Patrick’s Day Why Yes, I Am Irish!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

I do hope any of you who may be going out to celebrate take it easy and stay safe!

I am approximately 25% Irish, perhaps a little less.

Luck Of The Irish!

My percentage of Irish comes from my Grandmother who is the daughter of an Irish immigrant.

Below is a photo of my beautiful Grandmother Monica (bottom) and her clearly equally beautiful twin sister Mary Ann (top). These are the Redmon girls. Their mother’s maiden name is O’Connor.

The Redmon Girls

The O’Connor family still hold tight to their Irish traditions. They are a large family and host many family events around this time of the year.

Ironically, St. Patrick’s day seems to be celebrated more here in the U.S.A. than over in Ireland. They do celebrate, though!

While we all may be wearing green, so we do not get pinched, originally the color of St. Patrick’s Day was blue!

Since Ireland is commonly referred to as the Emerald Isle, and their flag has a green stripe green won over blue. Orange is another color on the Irish flag so it is perfectly fine to wear that color too.

However, if you do not want to be pinched, you are better off wearing green!

Why?

Because lore has it that green makes one invisible to leprechauns. Leprechauns are fairy creatures who will pinch anyone they can see.

Not to take the fun out of St. Patrick’s Day but observing why it is celebrated is important. St. Patrick’s Day is in honor of the patron saint of Ireland, set aside for feasting. I am not a history major but I believe that St. Patrick was not truly a saint. Regardless, he was a very interesting man who did a lot for his country.

Irish Proud!

The Irish take their drinking very seriously. It truly is not about getting smashed! Being outrageously drunk in an Irish pub is frowned upon.

Drinking and hanging out at the local pub in Ireland is about tradition, communication, and storytelling.

Sometimes I do feel I have the luck of the Irish! Luck of The Irish is from the gold rush days when many of the miners were of Irish or Irish-American descent.

While I am not full blooded Irish, I will celebrate this day and enjoy the revelry.

I hope that you do as well, and be safe friends!

Please subscribe to Fashion Beyond Forty via email to stay up to date on the latest shenanigans!

Sign up and receive my 20 Fashion Hacks That Will Save You Money, plus my Exposé on Psychic Reading Sites via PDF download FREE!

Your email will never be shared!

* indicates required

Email Format

1. March 17, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Aw what a lovely photograph of your grandmother and her twin! My husband is part Irish and my boys have very Irish names, so we celebrate each year with corn beef and cabbage–yum!

• March 17, 2017 / 4:32 pm

That sounds delicious! I think this is the first year in a long time I have not made it on St. Pat’s. I am hoping my hubby feels like going out to our local Irish pub and restaurant when he gets home from work! I want some good Irish food!

2. Rebecca Swenor
    March 18, 2017 / 7:42 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. I had totally forgot about the pinch if you don’t wear green. lol It is interesting to me that the color used to be blue but I do remember hearing something about it years ago. Thanks for sharing the information.

3. March 18, 2017 / 5:15 pm

You look just like your Grandmother. So interesting to learn that the color used to be blue. I wonder why they changed it to green? Maybe to match the leprechaun’s pants?

• March 18, 2017 / 5:47 pm

I believe it was a mix of that AND due to the flag having green in it. No idea why they did not use blue in the flag from the get go. Thank you so much I never realized how much I look like her in her younger days.

4. March 19, 2017 / 12:43 pm

My maternal grandfather was 100% Irish and a ginger. My mom was a ginger as well!

• March 19, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Oh so you are very Irish yourself! Hope you had a wonderful St. Pat’s!

5. Ann Bacciaglia
    March 19, 2017 / 2:13 pm

I hope everyone had a great St Patrick’s Day. I had a quiet evening at home because I had t work the next day.

• March 19, 2017 / 6:03 pm

We spend ours at home mostly too. We did go have one beer and some good Irish food at a local Irish pub that is very authentic for being in Kansas lol.

6. March 19, 2017 / 2:34 pm

What a great picture of your grandmother and her twin! My husband is part Irish, so we do something special every year!

7. March 19, 2017 / 3:39 pm

I knew it was St Patrick’s day.. but I didn’t dress my daughter in green. By chance, my son had on a green shirt.. My daughter came home from a play date telling me all about it lol

• March 19, 2017 / 9:25 pm

I am so glad you had some relaxation time! It’s funny because I did not have any green to wear either. I found that clover leaf shirt on clearance the day before St. Patty’s LOL. I did have ONE green shirt but it was a very nice blouse that would go with a nice suit or at least some slacks. I was not going to wear slacks or a suit on St. Pattys.

• March 20, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Haha indeed this is true. I hate it when I hear about accidents, injuries, and worse death on holidays!

8. March 20, 2017 / 8:13 am

My husband has an Irish blood so he celebrated St. Patty’s Day with a mug of dark beer here at home. 🙂 Hope you had a great St. Patrick’s Day!

• March 20, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Nice! Dark beer is yum! My husband and I went to the Irish Pub and had some great Irish food and a beer each. His was not dark but mine sure was. Glad you had a great St. Pats!

9. Gabriel Bregg
    March 21, 2017 / 6:51 am

St Patty’s Day is a double festival for our household as it’s also my wife’s birthday. She says she loves it because there’s always something going on but hates it because it’s not all about her :p

• March 21, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Oh how cool! A belated Happy Birthday to your wife! I understand how she feels though, my daughter’s birthday is right before Christmas and she feels exactly the same!

• March 22, 2017 / 2:04 am

LOL! So DID he get to pinch you? I am only part Irish. I am also Swedish and German. Not sure what else but mostly those I believe. Yes we did get to celebrate enough. Went out to an authentic Irish pub and had great Irish food and one dark beer each. It was fun. Thank you!

10. aziel morte
    March 24, 2017 / 1:33 am

The best way to spend the the day by having a Guinness on St Patrick’s Day at Raglan Road. The next best thing to being there.