Compassion Counts: You Never Know What Someone Is Going Through

You never know what battles a person is fighting.

It’s a term we often use, at least I do. I see it on social media often as well.

It’s true.

We all need to be kind to others as everyone is fighting some battle nearly every day. Showing just a little compassion can make all the difference in the world to someone who is struggling.

You Never Know What Someone Is Going Through Compassion Counts

Depression is either something on the rise or something we are becoming more aware of. It seems millions of people battle it every day. Chronic pain, stress, anxiety, are just a few other things that are commonly dealt with by many.

Some of these conditions make the issues of going through menopause seem like nothing, but that is another thing some people face.

Others deal with constant fear or worry.

If you are like me, you deal with a chronic illness each and every day of your life.

With so much hate in the world, some people go out into the workplace daily facing discrimination.

Sometimes all it may take to turn someone’s day around is a smile from a stranger.

Do not underestimate your power to shift someone’s day from dark and gloomy, to bright and cheerful.

The things each of us personally face are not the sum of who we are. Nor do they limit what we have to contribute to others. Our personal struggles are just an extensions of us,  just a chapter of our story.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE YOUR POWER TO SHIFT SOMEONE'S DAY

The best thing about showing compassion to others is that it can help you just as much as it could help another!

Compassion is catching! There is a trickle down effect that occurs. When you are kind to someone, that person is far more likely to be compassionate to another, and from there it just flows!

Just do one thing every day to show compassion to another. That can be as simple as smiling at them. Being more patient with others, especially on social media where we tend to feel far more free to fly off the handle. Try not to get testy with that check out girl who can’t seem to figure out the price of an item. Give up your seat to an elderly person on the bus.

Just do one thing each day.

Showing compassion can be empowering!

Soon, you will notice that performing small acts of compassion becomes second nature.
After awhile, your small acts will become greater acts, and so will the acts of those you showed kindness to!

I know it can be difficult sometimes to show compassion. It can be really difficult when we are going through our own personal issues. Sometimes, though, showing compassion to others when I am at my worst makes me feel better!

Showing compassion can be empowering!

Maybe it is because through recognizing another in need, we tend to forget about our own problems. Perhaps it is because it makes us feel stronger to give care to someone who may be weaker than ourselves.

Whatever the case may be, if it feels good, and it makes another person feel better, there is no reason not to do it!

So friends, as you go into today, and every day, please consider compassion to be your strongest character trait.

You will be happier if you do.

What are some ways you have shown compassion or been shown compassion by another?

• March 23, 2017 / 12:01 pm

Thank you Vera and yes indeed it just takes everyone making one small effort every day!

1. March 23, 2017 / 4:01 pm

I adore this post and it is so true! There can be so much going on that you can’t see from a first glace, or even from spending some time with a person.

• March 23, 2017 / 6:25 pm

Thank you so much Sarah! You are right we get so caught up in all the distractions.

2. March 23, 2017 / 5:58 pm

I’ve always been of the mind to treat people as I’d want to be treated… sometimes my anger gets the better of me. I’m a real rule follower, and I don’t like people who don’t follow the rules 🙂
    Destany recently posted…NYX Full Throttle Lipstick in Con Artist and SandmanMy Profile

• March 23, 2017 / 6:24 pm

I can understand that. I try to vent in private or to my hubby. We all get fed up sometimes. It’s human nature.

• March 23, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Exactly! And if you have made even one person smile YOU HAVE done something good 🙂

3. My Teen Guide
    March 24, 2017 / 12:09 am

I totally love this post, I always wanted to treat people in a positive way and I’m glad that I have done good to others, it’s a great feeling you made smile to them.

• March 24, 2017 / 12:08 pm

It really is a wonderful feeling! It is the best thing we can do for OTHERS that also makes us feel great too!

4. Victoria Heckstall
    March 24, 2017 / 12:14 am

Sometimes people didn’t realize that changing the world is in their hands by doing good or helping other person. I love this post so much!!

• March 24, 2017 / 1:06 pm

It truly is! I just keep pushing from one minute to the next. Dealing with the “morning” pain right now since this is my morning even though it is afternoon. Not only does the pain hurt obviously but it clouds your thoughts too. So sorry you deal with it too!

5. March 24, 2017 / 3:34 pm

What a kind and thoughtful post to write. Because it is true we can all play our part in making each other’s lives as pleasant as possible.
    pinkoddy recently posted…PRs Am I reading your E-mail?My Profile

6. Emma Spellman
    March 24, 2017 / 11:06 pm

I always try to keep that in mind in my everyday life. If I see someone is having a bad day I try to turn it around. It doesn’t always work, but I try.

• March 24, 2017 / 11:07 pm

True, it does not always work and it is hard to be so aware all of the time but trying is all we can ask of ourselves. I think it is highly commendable that you are aware and do your best. That is all we can do.

7. March 26, 2017 / 2:24 pm

Compassion is such an important thing to remember. When someone is driving me crazy in public and I’d love to tell them off, I like to remind myself that I have no idea what they are going through in life right now.
    Stephanie Pass recently posted…Pretty Pintastic Party #149My Profile

• March 26, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Thank you for teaching your kids to be compassionate. The world will be better for it!

8. March 26, 2017 / 11:47 pm

I so agree with this. I have recently gone through something myself and started thinking that I need to be a little more personable when it comes to strangers or even family and friends because they may be going through things that you have no clue about.
    Jenny recently posted…Rockabye Plush Rockers: A Great 1st Birthday GiftMy Profile

• March 27, 2017 / 12:17 pm

I am glad you had your realization although I am sorry you have been through something recently personally. I hope all is well with you.

9. March 27, 2017 / 12:11 am

If more people were actively compassionate the world would be a better place. Not only would they possibly make someone happier (which can have a snowball effect), it will also change the way they view people around them. Many of us walk around only concerned about ourselves and the people in our circles. If we looked for ways to be more compassionate, it sort of forces us to consider people outside our circle to whom we are most likely already showing some degree of compassion.

• March 27, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Indeed some people will abuse compassion for sure. This is why we have to have OUR boundaries in check. Being compassionate should never overstep our own personal needs.

10. March 27, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Alll so very true and it’s the reason I try to be nice to all!! You never know what someone is dealing with at home or what goes on inside someone’s head!

• March 27, 2017 / 1:50 pm

Exactly! We get caught up in our own issues and forget that we are all human. Thank you Courtney.

11. rika
    March 29, 2017 / 1:37 am

Such a beautiful post. I agree with you, showing compassion can be very empowering. Always be nice to everyone.

12. March 30, 2017 / 12:45 pm

You are so right. We never know what another person is going through. I am very aware of that in my profession as a nurse. Sometimes the way a person reacts to a situation has more to do with their long term issues than that particular incident.
    Chrishelle Ebner recently posted…BABY’S FIRST CAMPING TRIPMy Profile

• March 30, 2017 / 5:56 pm

Wow that is so true Chrishelle! You just do not always have the background you need to really KNOW what is going on and you as a nurse must have to really separate the physical issues and emotional. I thank you for being a nurse. Such a tough job in some ways but surely rewarding as well.