International Women’s Day – Equality Matters

March is Women’s History Month. March is the month to reflect on our achievements. I found this timeline of women’s rights to be enlightening.

Today is International Women’s Day.

Sometimes I step back and ponder why our society needs “days” or “months” in which specific groups get individual focus.  Why achieving equality is so difficult.

International Women's Day Equality Matters Pin

I realize the benefits, truly, I do. I know without these special days many people may not be aware of the need for change at all. If we had change, and everyone was given equal respect, equal opportunity, then the need for these days would be obsolete. We would all have the equality we deserve.

I admit I was gung-ho about American Heart Health Awareness Month. I was on top of Spay and Neuter Your Pet Month. Even more recently I had some fun with Frozen Food Day on my Facebook Fan Page.

I want to be clear that I am absolutely not knocking any organization. Never would I want to take from any attempts to bring light to an important topic.

I am just curious why by now we as a people have not come together. Why we can not see everyone as equals. Equal enough that specific days of the year, or months, are no longer a necessity.

That is my ultimate wish.

If you belong to a special interest group, organization, or program that promotes equality of any kind I commend you! I love seeing people participating as activists for a good cause.

I just simply wish that we could get to a place where none of it is necessary.

This is why I give my support to the organization Equal. I love that they encompass everyone.

How Equal Works

People who dig in their heels to truly support any cause are amazing! I am thankful for those who may not be much of an activist but donate funds to support those who are. Some do not have the funds, but have heart and spread the word. I am thankful for them as well.

Whoever you are, however you give support toward the goal of equality, I thank you.

Whether you celebrate black history month, women’s history month, gay pride month, and so on, you rock!

I know there are those of you that worry with all the special interest groups that your own personage may become lost. Maybe you feel there is too little focus on single fathers.

All I know is I get lost in the confusion of which groups to focus on with my support! Perhaps I am not bright enough or maybe I am not alone.

When I first found out about Equal I felt an instant cohesion. I knew that Equal was where I wanted to put my personal focus.

So today, on International Women’s Day, and every day, I will be bringing it back to what Equal is doing for us all. Equal believes that Different Is Equal and you know what, Equal is different too!

Equal Is Different

Equal is different because they are leaving no man or woman out. Regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, color, creed, national origin and so on.

Maybe I am lazy but I appreciate having one awesome organization that I can get behind and give my support. One organization that covers all!

So today, in honor of International Women’s Day and for every day, for everybody, I once again wanted to promote my singular cause, Equal!

If you feel the way I feel, check them out

1. robin Rue
    March 8, 2017 / 12:41 pm

By this day in age we should all be equal and I can’t figure out why it hasn’t happened yet. Hopefully days like this will help the cause.

2. March 8, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Thanks for introducing me to this organization, I’d never heard of them before! I do like the idea that there is one organization to support everyone.

• March 8, 2017 / 3:58 pm

You are so welcome. They are fairly new but they are organized by some industry leaders such as former executives from Weight Watchers, Amazon and companies like that.

3. March 8, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Super cool organization to be a part of. There are so many days/organizations that may seem decisive…I know many that were started because they felt they didn’t have a place to fit in. Equal sounds like its for everyone.

• March 8, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Thank you Natasha. I agree we are all trying to come together so having one organization for all makes sense.

4. March 8, 2017 / 2:23 pm

I like the idea of having one large group to encompass everyone in their struggles. It’s nice to celebrate one particular group, but also nice to acknowledge our society coming together as a whole.

• March 8, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Thank you Jennifer. It is nice to be coming together. Cheers to more progress!

5. March 8, 2017 / 5:52 pm

It’s mind boggling that we need these days and months but seems like more things need to change for them to not be necessary. Thanks for sharing information about EQUAL I was not aware of this organization, I’ll be sure to look them up.

6. Elizabeth O.
    March 9, 2017 / 3:39 am

I love celebrating being a woman! We have so much to offer the world. There’s just so much to celebrate, and it’s even better if we could celebrate as one. There is so much hate in the world right now and it would be so nice to see women coming together.

• March 9, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Thank you Elizabeth! I know you do your part in sharing enlightenment and empowerment! Thank you for that too!

• March 9, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Oh I will come visit and take a look! Thank you also for the compliment!

7. March 9, 2017 / 7:48 am

It’s so important to support and stand by our beliefs. It’s important to speak up! I agree with you, we shouldn’t have specific months for specific groups, but for now in this imperfect world that’s the best we can do. Until we reach that place where were are all finally equal and one then this ‘celebrations and acknolegements’ of groups will still exists. Great post!

• March 9, 2017 / 12:30 pm

I agree we do still need it. Thank you Dalba for the compliments. I hope we can change things.

8. March 9, 2017 / 8:31 am

I love this post! It’s true that Womens’ Rights are still sneered at by some men and we’re told to stop being overly-dramatic or attention-seeking when that’s not what this is! There was a sign on a church I drove past a couple of weeks ago that really stuck in my head, it said “Men of Quality do not Fear Equality.” I thought it was wonderful!

Ellie

9. March 9, 2017 / 10:36 am

I agree. We are all equal. That doesn’t mean we have the same roles or even the same talents, but we’re special and should be treated with respect regardless.

10. March 9, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Thank you for your info about Equal. While people talk about equality, some women put themselves down, so sad! We still have a lot of work to do to empowering our fellow.

11. March 9, 2017 / 7:46 pm

I fully agree with Elisha, above. “That doesn’t mean we have the same roles or even the same talents, but we’re special and should be treated with respect regardless.”

I couldn’t have said it better! That’s exactly the same way I feel also!
    Erin recently posted…Try The World Greece Subscription Box Review + FREE BOX!My Profile

12. March 9, 2017 / 10:54 pm

I had never heard of this organization but I like the idea behind it. Sometimes having special months or days seems to only point out the fact that people are different, instead of embrace the ways we are equal.

• March 9, 2017 / 11:59 pm

Exactly! I do get why they are necessary truly but I long for the day they are no longer needed. Thank you Tara for commenting xox

13. March 9, 2017 / 11:28 pm

I absolutely love the attention International Women’s Day has been getting. There are so many powerful women in the world, and it’s so cool to see them getting recognition! Hopefully just the start of many more!

-Eva

• March 9, 2017 / 11:58 pm

I hope so too Eva! (love your name by the way). We need more powerful women to band together and those who do not feel they have power to get help finding it. Everyone has a voice!

14. March 10, 2017 / 12:00 am

Thank you for introducing this organization. Never heard until now. Yes, this is an old conversation. We are all equal. But unfortunately, we are still talking about it due to the imbalance on equality on one side. Great post!

• March 10, 2017 / 12:04 am

Thank you Wendy! Check them out when you get a second. They are simply wonderful.

15. March 10, 2017 / 10:54 am

We should all be equal in everything. I love your support in both. I am going to look into what I can support and help out with. Thank you for opening my eyes.

16. March 10, 2017 / 3:13 pm

Your post is spot on. I dont understand why we are not at the level already. Also there are far to many countries where women are still not given equal rights , not even allowed to drive. This has to stop

• March 10, 2017 / 4:13 pm

Thank you so much for that! I agree we should be further along at least here in the USA and other more progressive countries for sure.

17. March 10, 2017 / 3:35 pm

First time I heard of this organization. It sounds like a great organization that fight equality for women. Happy International Women’s Day!

• March 10, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Happy International Women’s day to you too. Yes it is a wonderful organization for sure!

18. March 11, 2017 / 6:55 am

I really like the way you put it: EQUAL. Sounds like a great organization! Also great info:)

19. Wendy Polisi
    March 12, 2017 / 3:02 pm

I support their campaign too. Equality should be in the knowledge and practice of everyone and not racism nor discrimanation.

20. adriana
    March 14, 2017 / 11:15 am

Equality definitely is so important and I hope it’s every day that we have it one day!