5 Essential Oils You Must Have In Your Home Find Out Why!

Essential oils are used in aromatherapy. They are also used for medicinal purposes, cosmetics, cleaning, in bath and body products and in perfumery.

Pure essential oils come from trees, flowers, herbs, and fruits.

There are literally hundreds of essential oils.

I have well over 200 essential oils in my collection, however, I have narrowed the list down to the top five that every person should have on hand!

5 Essential Oils You Must Have

Before you begin to use essential oils please do some basic research.

I only use 100% pure oils. Some people have allergic reactions to some oils. Some essential oils can be dangerous, even toxic. Always research each oil before use.

I always check the New Directions Aromatics site when working with a new oil.

Some oils need dilution with a carrier oil while others you can use directly from the vial.

The oils in my list are relatively safe for most everyone who does not have an allergy to them. They can also be used right out of the bottle, although they are strong enough to dilute if you prefer using a carrier oil.

Lavender Essential Oil:

Lavender should be in every kitchen as it is a wonderful soothing oil for burns. It also aids in insect stings. Not only does it cut down on the pain but helps to bring circulation to the area to stimulate healing.

Lavender has a calming and soothing effect which can aid in sleep, ease tension, and fix a headache. Some even say that Lavender can ease migraine pain.

Lavender is so safe that you can use it directly on the skin in its full force.

Lavender has been said to aid in the treatment of colic.

Rubbed into muscles and tendons Lavender can aid pain relief.

Tea Tree Essential Oil:

I use tea tree for minor cuts and scraps. It has excellent antibacterial and anti-fungal properties! It cuts out infection and aids fast healing.

Tea tree is also excellent to add to soaps, shampoo, and conditioners. It has a healing and soothing sensation and aids in dry skin conditioning such as conditions like psoriasis and eczema.

Tea Tree essential oil is great for oily skin and helps with sore throats and ear aches. Of course, you will want to do some research on exactly how to use Tea Tree oil as one would not simply drink the oil to cure a sore throat.

Tea Tree oil helps clear sinuses and aids in breathing during cold and flu season.

Tea Tree is also a natural insect repellent.

Must Have Essential Oils

Eucalyptus Essential Oil:

I love Eucalyptus oil. There are so many things it can do.

Scar tissue can be diminished, a runny nose stopped by the aroma discharging the mucus, removes bad odors, can aid in the relief from bladder infections, assist in circulatory problems, helps to treat arthritis, relieves back pain and strain, and so much more.

Eucalyptus is a mental stimulant as well and can be invigorating to the senses!

Eucalyptus is also known to aid in acne, boils, infected pores, ingrown hairs and oily skin.

A great insect repellent it also helps in itching or burning skin from those irritating bites!

Truly an oil for all to have in their collection.

Peppermint Essential Oil:

Peppermint helps aid in focus and concentration.

It helps with digestion, ever wonder where the “after dinner mint” came from?

Peppermint can help in coughing attacks, the common cold and even in people with asthma.

Peppermint helps control odors both environmental and personal and is used for personal care and hygiene.

It is said peppermint can aid in mouth sores such as cold sores, and bleeding gums.

Peppermint mixed with Lavender can treat sunburn.

This oil can also aid in Irritable bowel syndrome, bacterial and viral infections, nausea, diarrhea, muscle sprains and cramping, and again as an insect repellent.

Sandalwood Essential Oil:

Sandalwood is a relaxing, soothing and calming oil. Its smell draws you in and brings you to center. I use Sandalwood often in my grounding, centering and focusing meditations and in my day to day work.

Sandalwood also is a good assist to depression.

If you have troubles sleeping use some sandalwood by dropping a few drops on a cotton ball and placing inside your pillow case. Be careful oils can stain your bedding!

I have a special pillow case I use when I want to use oils.

Sandalwood helps aid in sleep so much that it can help with night sweats due to menopause, now that’s saying something!

Sandalwood essential oil help aid in concentration and focus. Don’t we all need a little of that now and then?

Sandalwood is also an aphrodisiac and can get that libido going!

Sandalwood also helps with the following: Skin conditions, antiseptic, respiratory ailments, stress, nervous tension and anxiety, depression, antibacterial, varicose veins and lower back pain.

It was really difficult to narrow down my list to a top five. Every essential oil has it’s purpose.

NOTE: Herbal and Essential Oil is not meant to replace modern medicine! Always let your doctor know if you are using herbal or oil supplements especially if you are under the care of a doctor for medical conditions! Never stop taking a prescribed medication just because herbs or oils are helping! Always talk to your doctor first and use common sense.

What are your favorite essential oils and why are they your favorites? I love talking essential oils so please feel free to comment and ask questions.

1. March 5, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I’ve never actually tried essential oils. I like the sound of the eucalyptus though as have acne scarring and anything is worth trying to help.Without makeup it looks like i have heaps of spots when it’s all scarring apart from one or two spots x

2. March 5, 2017 / 3:14 pm

I haven’t used essential oils, but I’ve heard a lot about them. My sister does a lot with essential oils and natural health remedies. Thank you for sharing about the different ways the essential oils can help. I like that you included to talk with your doctor and do research.
    Kelly recently posted…Cyndi Pilcher – Author InterviewMy Profile

3. March 5, 2017 / 6:52 pm

I use oils too and I love them. I use my lavender oil the most as I have high anxiety. I am going to try the Sandelwood, that may help me sleep without taking a sleeping pill.
    Leslie recently posted…Push Yourself To Leave Your Comfort ZoneMy Profile

• March 6, 2017 / 11:51 am

Thank you Leslie! Lavender is wonderful!! I love the Sandalwood for helping with stress and anxiety! Give it a try. It smells wonderful too. Sometimes something works for one person and not another but it is so worth trying to get some good sleep! Wishing you the best.

4. March 10, 2017 / 5:09 am

I believe in healing anything the natural way as much as possible and with everything else also give importance to natural oils. But I must confess that I was not aware of couple of the above. Nice list and would help enhance my list of go to items. Thanks 🙂

• March 10, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Thank you so much! I agree I try natural first. Not that I am against science. I could not live without my insulin but I do prefer natural when possible. Glad the list helped!

5. March 10, 2017 / 6:56 am

I have all of these oils except for sandalwood. Still learning and have this big book on how to use essential oils and what they are for. Can get overwhelming. Do love using essential oils.

• March 10, 2017 / 12:46 pm

Indeed EO’s are amazing! I am so glad you have most of these on the list! Keep at it you will learn so much!

6. March 10, 2017 / 1:36 pm

I love that lavender essential oil is first on the list! That’s the essential oil that I have in my home. Of course, I’m going to have to stock up on others so I’ll take your list into consideration.
    Lisa Favre recently posted…Friday Favorites: Sweet ThingsMy Profile

• March 10, 2017 / 4:14 pm

Lavender is my #1 must have! Yes please stock up on more, you will love them all!

7. March 10, 2017 / 11:01 pm

I just got into essential oils but I am a little at a loss which ones to start with. This is a great list with detailed descriptions of each essential oil. I am excited to start using my diffuser…Maybe I will try lavender first 🙂
    Betty recently posted…First Time at Disneyland with a Toddler and a BabyMy Profile

• March 11, 2017 / 12:31 am

Lavender is always a great way to begin! It is so relaxing! Just do not use if you need to be super productive until you know how sensitive you are to it. It could make you sleepy.

• March 12, 2017 / 12:23 pm

Lavender is a great place to start! Just do not use when you need to get a lot done as it can be VERY relaxing!

8. March 11, 2017 / 4:25 am

Waa such a helpful article, thank you Joely. I was actually feeling those smells, while reading it.Haha imagination is everything.
    I’m the biggest fan of lavender, it has helped me a lot with my blood circulation difficulty. Also, I made a small “eye pillow” and filled it with lavender. It’s so realxing if you keep it for a couple of minutes in the fridge and then place it on the eyes, or forehead.

• March 12, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Awee thank you! Yes our imagination is amazing and smell is the closest sense we have tied to MEMORY. I think this helps you smell it more while reading. You remember some scents and your brain lets you smell them when thinking, reading ,or talking about them. Lavender is my all time favorite oil for it’s healing properties. You are smart to make an eye pillow with it!

9. March 11, 2017 / 6:04 am

Thanks for sharing this, I was only thinking about getting some essential oils the other day. I love lavender for relaxation, and the smell of Eucalyptus is really nice!

• March 12, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Indeed and Eucalyptus can help with so many things – I use it for congestion and it works miracles!

10. March 12, 2017 / 1:40 pm

This is such great information. I’m an Essential Oil Beginner and have been trying to figure out where to start… this answer that question perfectly!

• March 12, 2017 / 1:41 pm

I am so happy to have helped! Tiffany you will love the world of essential oils! Just take it slow and learn as much as you can about each oil and slowly add to your collection.

11. March 12, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Great list. We use lemon and lavendar a lot in our house. I will have to make sure to check out the uses of the other ones you listed. I like using oils can be very helpful for every day things. I love making DIY scrubs with them too.
    Censie Sawyer recently posted…The Easiest Baked Donut Holes EverMy Profile

12. March 13, 2017 / 7:28 am

I recently started getting into essential oils, and I love them! Besides the fact that they work wonders for healing, I love how they fill the house with such an amazing aroma!
    Bites for Foodies recently posted…Healthy Hamburger HelperMy Profile

• March 13, 2017 / 2:08 pm

Right!? The aromas seem to last longer than regular air fresheners too!

13. adriana
    March 13, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Lavender is one of my favorites too! I don’t use oils as much as I’d like to, but when I do lavender is definitely one of my favorites. I’ve been loving cleaning with lemon too! It makes the kitchen smell SO good. I love your list – I’ll save it so I can reference it when I get some more oils in! 😉

• March 13, 2017 / 2:06 pm

Thank you Adriana! Lemon is such a wonderful natural way to clean and you are right the smell is fantastic! Safer for pets too!

14. April 5, 2017 / 3:05 pm

I discovered essential oils early last year and Tea Tree is my fave. I have already purchased a number of bottles in several months as I use it as an all-around cleaner at home. Now I am into exploring Peppermint Oil as I just got a bottle and will use it to ward of the pesky ants at home. I am interested in getting Sandalwood oil next but I do not think my seller carries them. Hopefully, I will find an alternative source, in case they don’t. I love learning about the uses and benefits of essential oils, so I absolutely enjoyed reading this post. Looking forward to more related posts in the future!

• April 5, 2017 / 3:23 pm

I am so happy you discovered the world of Essential Oils! I also think it is smart that you are only adding in one or two at a time. That way you get to fully learn the benefits and uses of each before moving to another. Try the link in the blog post New Directions – they have every oil imaginable, top quality and good prices.
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!