We March Everyday For Equality!

Equality is very important to me. I have never been able to tolerate discrimination. I also am not the type of person to hold picket signs or wave banners. So what is a person like me to do to show my support for equality? A more subtle way to support equality is possible!

Equality Rules!

What if showing support for equality were as simple as wearing a tee shirt while working out at the gym? What if showing we love the differences that exist between us, those things that make each of us special was as easy as being willing to tell someone what the logo on our beanie means?

Disclosure: This is a sponsored article however I am deeply involved with this amazing organization and believe in their cause, and message 100%!

I have teamed up with Equal to help spread the word about equality. I first introduced you to Equal in January and since then I have become even more involved in working with them. Their ideals are clear and the manner in which they want to get their message out is simple: We March Everyday!

While joining in on rallies, parades, and groups is a great way to bond, find like minded people, and promote our values, what we do every day matters most. Equal wants each of us to march every day, and be willing to talk with others about our beliefs and values.

Equality Is Everything

Please Pin Me

Whether speaking to the girl at the check out counter, or someone on the treadmill next to you at the gym,  it’s everyday discussion that keeps equality in the minds and hearts of others.

That is why I love wearing my Equal gear! Every time I wear my beanie, bracelet, or tee, someone asks me what the symbol means. This starts up the conversation naturally, and I do not feel like I am pushing my beliefs on anyone. A natural organic conversation begins. I always keep these conversations short because when I feel right about something, I do not feel the need to force feed the message.

100% of proceeds from the Equal shop support equality causes. This organization is not out to make money, but to obtain cash flow to promote equality everywhere. Speaking of which, I am just itching to tell you all about something big happening in my own state thanks to Equal, but we are still working on the details. Once it happens though, I will be telling you about it here on Fashion Beyond Forty!

Please learn more about Equal by visiting their About page but in the mean time please read this excerpt from them:

We need to make this belief in equality: (1) positive and (2) ubiquitous.  It must permeate all communities and be so present and so positive every day, that policymakers, business owners and even narrow minded neighbors will have to take notice. But, it’s not a massive protest that creates friction and begets accommodation.  It’s a quiet march that happens every day, everywhere. At the gym, the supermarket, the restaurant, walking down the street. If we are everywhere, if we present a united, positive identity, we’ll change minds, communities and the world.

I love this above statement because it fits in line with my own personality, and feelings. We need not raise hell to promote our beliefs. We need not bicker, argue, or fight in order to let others know how we feel.

The realistic side of me knows that not all of our beliefs align. I also know from being a mother, and midlife woman, that sometimes, the softest voices are heard the loudest!

Think about it. We all have that friend who is always complaining, or belly aching about something. We tend to tune them out after awhile. It is that friend who rarely speaks up, rarely let’s their voice be heard that we pay attention to when they have something meaningful to say!

I want to leave you with this video, which speaks volumes.

We are one people, humanity. What a dull world it would be if we were all the same. Until we all accept each other, and our differences, we may as well just all be clones.

Please go shop at Equal to support Equality today.

Please Share

1. February 24, 2017 / 10:27 pm

We may be different in every aspect but we all belong to one human race. God created us fairly and we will also die equally.

• February 24, 2017 / 10:34 pm

Exactly! We all live and breath. We all have our achievements and our problems. We need to lift each other up not tear each other down. Much love to you Sarah-Louise!

2. February 25, 2017 / 12:15 am

Well said. We all need a little more compassion, open-mindedness, and accepting of each other.

3. February 25, 2017 / 8:22 am

The hate in the world today is absolutely disgusting. I think Equal is a great way to get involved. I’m not the type of person to join actual marches and rallies, but want to get involved to show my beliefs. Sounds like Equal makes it easy for me to do just that.
    Danielle recently posted…Chrislie Has a Scent for Every MoodMy Profile

• February 25, 2017 / 1:36 pm

It truly is and 100% off ALL money spent in their shop goes toward billboards and other means of spreading the word on equality!

• February 25, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Thank you Echo! I imagine your life was so enriched by various cultures too!

4. February 25, 2017 / 3:14 pm

Equality is something we all need to work for every day. Dramatic displays have their own important role but are much easier to do and then walk away from. This is a cool idea

• February 25, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Thank you Porche! I love the way Equal goes about spreading the good word!

5. February 25, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Such a good idea – like you I’m not likely to march for equality. I do however strongly believe in treating people equally regardless of gender, sexuality or interests x

• February 25, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Thank you Jodie! I love that Equal offers us a different way to give support 🙂

6. February 26, 2017 / 12:20 am

This is interesting, but I am a bit leery. I visited Equal’s website, and I am left even more confused. Equal states the following: “EQUAL uses proceeds to fund equality awareness and education projects.” (http://differentisequal.com/how-it-works/). Sorry if I seem somewhat negative on this, but as a parent of a son with multiple medical diagnoses who is often discriminated against and excluded, I’ve reached my limit of discovering people/organizations pushing equality and inclusion—only to learn that it is for a particular group. Since you are deeply involved with Equal, would you be able to share some of the equality awareness and education projects they have funded?
    Kelly recently posted…Cyndi Pilcher – Author InterviewMy Profile

• February 26, 2017 / 1:07 am

Hi Kelly. I am sorry to hear about your son. My daughter has multiple disabilities as well so I know the pains and struggles you go through. People often do not understand children with disabilities and I have had to defend her, while trying my best to politely educate people in public places how they are so wrong for saying rude things. Sometimes you just want to smack them for being ignorant! Anyway – moving on to your question. EQUAL is very new but they are made up of some highly educated and highly motivated individuals that truly do want to bring forth change. The proceeds currently are going toward billboards in various cities. Hopefully nationwide in time. This is not for any specific group whatsoever. The money is using to fund education of the general public, to be more open minded, to be more kind, considerate, tolerant, and embrace a positive change toward that end. At this time, those are the plans for the funds. Granted I do not work for Equal in the sense of working within the organization itself, but I have had conversations, even on the phone with one of the organizers and the billboards are the primary focus at this time. I will have more news coming on that in a forthcoming blog article. 🙂 I can’t say what they may shift toward as far as spreading awareness goes in the future but I do not believe it is EQUALS goals to fund any specific organizations or groups. I am pretty certain their focus will remain on simply getting all of us, to open our hearts and minds through awareness campaigns such as the billboard one they are focused on now. I hope that answers your concerns truly, and if you have any other questions, just ask. I am always happy to ask my contact your questions directly for you. XOX
      Joely

• February 26, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Kelly one more note – I did ask my contact about this and this was his response: “we are only 2 months old, so our first donations have been to the ACLU. However, we plan to use proceeds for such causes as we grow. It is part of the mission.”
      I hope that clarifies some. It sounds as if they plan to do both donations to causes and public education efforts. 🙂

7. February 26, 2017 / 7:09 pm

We all need to be kind and compassionate and worry about what is going on it our own lives and do what we can to help others – not put them down or belittle them.

• February 26, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Thank you Coralle! I agree 100% and as they say, great minds think alike! 🙂

8. February 26, 2017 / 8:20 pm

I cannot agree with this more! It is becoming more and more apparent that we need to band together and treat each other equally rather than this crazy world we are leading ourselves into. Looking forward to checking out their stuff!

9. February 26, 2017 / 10:41 pm

Beautiful post! This is a great way to take action for those who feel like they want to “march” or “make a stand” but don’t know where to start!

• February 26, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Absolutely and for those who can’t as well. Thank you Kristen for checking it out!

10. Joanna
    February 27, 2017 / 5:26 am

We are all different but we should have equal rights. I can see discrimination everywhere I look around me, based on stupid things, like the color of the skin or the accent someone speaks with. But the biggest discrimination of all I feel it in my adopted country, where the government has just decided to cut off all rights for the EU citizens just because….

• February 27, 2017 / 2:51 pm

I am SO sorry that is happening in your country. Things are in a crazy place right now. I love Equal’s way of approaching things. It makes it an every day event not just something we rally for now and then.

11. Anosa
    February 28, 2017 / 10:11 am

Your point is well explained. I guess we just need to respect each other. Let’s all be open-minded and learn to be more diverse. As long as people does not harm, let’s be fair and equal.

12. March 4, 2017 / 5:50 am

Different, but equal – LOVE! Love the video and the concept of this company. Thanks for sharing!

• March 4, 2017 / 12:12 pm

Thank you!! I really appreciate your comment. They are simply wonderful and they do have a lot of fun videos.