9 Things I Have Learned From Dogs

Disclosure: There is a referral link contained within this post.

Last week I wrote an article called Things I Have Learned From Cats.

This week it is time for dogs to take center stage.

Things I have Learned From Dogs

1. Don’t Be Afraid To Go Out On A Ledge:

Dogs often do not know what they are or are not capable of so they often times do tend to get themselves into trouble and mischief but rarely is that ever a bad thing! We can learn a lot from dogs and take more chances in life. It is better to have a little adventure than to regret not trying new things.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

2. Appreciate The Value Of A Good Belly Rub:

Personally, I prefer a back rub but never turn down the chance to get pampered! I have never met a dog who would turn down a doggie spa, so be sure to treat yourself to a little TLC now and then.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

3. Chase Things:

Dogs may chase balls, frisbees, or even cars but dogs teach us to chase things important to us, such as our dreams. Dogs go by instinct with a heightened sense of danger but also a heightened sense of adventure. Don’t be afraid to go for things in life.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

4. Get Some Fresh Air:

Dogs know better than most the value of fresh air and allowing the wind to blow on their face. We all could enjoy more fresh air, more road trips, more exploration, and enjoyment in life. Some of the best things in life are the simple things.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

5. Try To Get Along With Everyone:

We can learn a lot from dogs when it comes to tolerance and patience. From toddlers tugging on ears and tails to learning to get along with our house cats, to being left behind while the family takes a vacation, dogs adjust to new situations all of the time.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

6. Try To Adjust To Every Situation:

Life can bring us a lot of unusual and sometimes challenging situations. Often we feel we have no real control over things. Dogs have little control over the things in their lives but they learn to adjust and adapt. Sometimes all we need to do is take a lesson from dogs and ask ourselves if we can adapt.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

7. Howl A Little:

Dogs have a natural instinct that is of a primal nature. They do not hold back when they feel like howling. Sometimes in this busy world, we forget that sometimes it is alright to let ourselves go and be free. For us humans that may mean dancing, singing, or just acting silly. Don’t hold back, sing when you feel like singing, dance in the rain, stomp in a puddle, or go for it and just howl!

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

8. Find And Keep One True Friend:

In the digital age of social media, we may lose touch with those rare friend gems who have a special meaning in our lives. Dogs attach deeply and earnestly to a select few people and animal friends. We can learn from dogs that it is important to have at least one best friend we can always count on and to cherish them.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

9.  Protect Your Turf:

Dogs are naturally protective and cautious creatures. They are loyal and trusting to those they know, those who love them, feed them, and take care of them but they are defensive of their own home, yard, and human family. We should never let others take advantage of us, or harm us or those we love. Often in career, or in relationships, we let others harm us or take advantage of us. We can learn from dogs to be more cautious, aware, and ready to defend if needed.

Things I Have Learned From Dogs Fashion Beyond Forty

A Big Thank You to Suna, Lyla, Romeo, Link, and Max, as well as the other doggies in the photos I downloaded from Dreamstime (this is a referral link). A special Thank You to our beloved Brandy R.I.P.

What have you learned from your furry friends, cats or dogs, or other? I would love to hear about it in the comments!

Please Share

1. May 20, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Agree! Dogs are the most patient creatures in the world…. lol! That’s why dogs are human’s good friends

2. May 21, 2017 / 1:04 pm

I just love this post and these are some amazing lessons for sure. I really like the one about howling and letting go. Sometimes you just can’t help yourself!

• May 21, 2017 / 2:23 pm

Indeed! haha that is one of my favorites – we all deserve to howl a little.

3. May 21, 2017 / 2:19 pm

Awe, these are Pup-riffic life hacks! I loved the picture you paired with ‘Try to adjust to every situation’. Haha too cute!
    Thanks for the fun read 🙂 I’m going to tweet it too!

Madelain | http://www.wheremyheartwanders.com

4. Agnes Dela Cruz
    May 21, 2017 / 7:11 pm

I don’t have a dog at home, my kids wanted to have one since the beginning of time but we are out most of the time and he will be left at home alone. I am sure those learnings can be a handful for kids too.

• May 22, 2017 / 5:11 pm

Oh indeed Agnes! Absolutely! Dogs, more than cats, need people around. You are smart for holding off until there is someone home more often. Thank you for that.

5. Karlyn Cruz
    May 22, 2017 / 12:54 am

This is really important information that we should know. Thanks for sharing this list.

6. Ali Rost
    May 22, 2017 / 9:19 pm

We’re huge dog lovers at our house .. and your post made me smile. Especially the ‘Find and Keep a True Friend’ .. if there’s anything they’ve taught me over the years, it’s the power of friendship. There’s nothing like the love of an animal x

• May 23, 2017 / 1:09 pm

Awee I am SO happy that this post made you smile. Nothing like the love of an animal indeed! No judgement and pure love. Thank you so much Ali.

7. May 22, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Dogs truly are the best! We really could all learn so much from them.

• May 23, 2017 / 1:07 pm

That’s the truth Katy! Thank you so much for checking out the post and commenting.

• May 23, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Miss you should check out the sister article to this one – Things I Have Learned from Cats! You would love that one!

8. May 23, 2017 / 11:54 am

Dogs are truly the best companions and their idea of unconditional love is something we can all learn from. And to howl a little 🙂

• May 23, 2017 / 12:55 pm

Indeed Angel thank you so much for checking out my article. I appreciate your comment too.

• May 23, 2017 / 12:54 pm

Taking walks with your dog is a great way to get exercise and as you said, clear your head. Thank you so much that is just another way animals can help us.

9. Bernadette Callahan
    May 24, 2017 / 6:03 am

We have 2 dogs and learn most of these from them too. Ours dont climb ledges but they do love the outdoors and playing around inside with the cats.

• May 24, 2017 / 12:24 pm

Bernadette our dogs sure do teach us so much. That Suna – on the ledge lol she is a special type of pup haha!