Valentines Day is approaching and for those who are single at this time it can be a lonely time of the year.
Red boxes of candy, flowers and teddy bears seem to stalk your every step.
You are never more aware of the fact that you are alone, however there is a distinct difference between being alone and being lonely. In fact some of the loneliest people I know are married. Being in a relationship does not necessarily mean you are fulfilled.
Instead of being focused on your relationship status, or lack thereof, do something special for yourself because as the saying goes: You first have to love yourself before you can love anybody else.
Try one of these ideas this year for Valentines Day:
1. Treat yourself to a full body massage at a local spa.
2. Have friends over for a romantic comedy movie night with your favorite drinks and snacks.
3. Make a list of your strongest traits and make a list of the traits you want in a loved one. Focus on the right kind of person you want to attract into your life.
4. Indulge in a makeover, a few new items for your wardrobe and go out. There is no need to sit at home alone. Go out feeling confident about your new look, there is nothing sexier than a confident woman.
5. Take time to get closure on past relationships starting at the beginning. Write a short note to your past loves, even that grade school sweetheart that used to poke you in the back during class. You do not have to send them, just do it for yourself. You may find patterns in the partners you have chosen and be able to make better choices in the future.
7. Make yourself a mixed CD of your favorite songs particularly songs not about love and romance. A good dance mix or fun lively music is best to lift your mood.
8. Join a fruit, book or one of many “of the month clubs”. When you receive your monthly goodies you can have a reminder of where you were at in your life when you purchased it. This is a good way to affirm positive changes in your life when you are no longer single or to remind yourself that no one particular month is dedicated to love and romance but every month, every moment is a moment to appreciate and love yourself.
9. Write a list of the positive things about being single. There are many positives to being on your own from being able to decorate anyway you choose, to being able to go out as late as you want with friends, to not having to worry if you look perfect all the time. Some of the items on your list may be a stretch, but it does help to showcase the positives no matter how silly they may be. You may give yourself a few good laughs writing the list.
10. Remember it is only one day of the year. You are no less important because you do not have a special someone on this one day. As soon as the candy and stuffed bears are removed from the shelves the Easter baskets and colored grass will replace it and Valentines Day will be nothing more than a faded memory. Most all of the hooplah around Valentines Day is nothing more than a marketing ploy to boost sales for the flower markets and candy sales anyway. Laugh about it – laughter is always the best medicine!